Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an 02 lb7 crew and proud to say that it's the first diesel I've ever owned. Got it for 10,5K and stoked on it! Injectors were replaced at 120k and she seems to be running quite well. To be on the safe side, I replaced all fluids with amsoil, threw in new outer CVs, HD tie-rods, HD end-links, new shocks, and steering stabilizer.

Anything else I should check out as I'm new to the diesel world? Any tips, etc would be greatly appreciated.

·
King of Battle
854 Posts
Buy an aftermarket hood and sell the stock on to me!! Congrats on the purchase!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keepin it for now pal but ill keep u in mind!

·
King of Battle
854 Posts
haha im just messing but hey if you plan on gettin rid of let me know!

·
Registered
239 Posts
What shocks and how u like them?

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
If you don't want issues with the injectors for a long time... Get a lift pump like the AirDog II and change your filters regularly. Also run additive in each tank or at least often so the fuel system stays lubricated and clean.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Check out one of the vendors here for a EDGE CTS. Gauges are very useful with a diesel plus the CTS has tons of great engine monitoring features. The install is relatively easy. Nicktane makes a great fuel filter adaptor so you can run a variety of superior fuel filters. Plus good customer service.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
X2 on the lift pump, get an AirDog II 165, keep your filters clean and get your fuel at a place that sells a lot of it. 4inch exhaust, and transfer case pump rub mod. Welcome to the forum and congrats on the truck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turbod - I went with the skyjacker M95 series. I love em.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

·
Registered
44 Posts
4 inch turboback, intake and aftermarket turbo horn. Plus a ppe boost valve. Thats what I've done to my truck and I love it. Much better throttle responce.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
:welcome

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i did the ppe boost valve today and volant intake with air ram. also found a hypertech PP3 and running it on setting 3. dont want anything too extreme as far as tuning goes...im not going to build my tranny to handle anything higer than that. whats the transfer case pump rub all about?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
also...ive got a gnarly rattle coming from the front end. maybe brake calipers??? sounds like a bag of nuts and bolts being shaken when i hit and rough road or bumps. nothing seems to be loose down there and i swapped out the pitman arm for a new one today.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Check your shock bushings for wear. Mine wore and clunked, but it took me forever to find that as the problem.

And the pump rub fix is because GM didnt fix a poor way of holding the pump in place. So it can move and eventually wear into the transfer case rear cover, causing pinhole leaks. Driving with the fluid leaking out will seize it up if not caught in time, and break alot of parts! Fix it once and don't look back. Check your transfercase fluid level when you get a chance.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I did not even know I had a aftermarket hood till somebody with another 03 said COOL HOOD and I went HUH??? ,yeah when I hit a bump in the road with mine something rattles the steering wheel can't figure it out, Another costly screw up I did was when I got stuck in the sand I pushed the button for 4 low and did not wait for the light to quit blinking and mashed on the gas BAM!!! CLUNK!! bye bye transfer case! on My Ford you did not have to wait for a light to stop flashing to go, I read the manual later and it said DO NOT DO THAT! OOOPPPSSS!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had a rattle in the front end when I hit bumps also. Ended up being one of my ball joints on one of the A-arms was bad. Jack up the front of your truck and give each tire a good shake.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thx again guys for the tips and heads-up:D:D

·
Registered
575 Posts
I had a rattle that used to drive me crazy. Turns out it was the the little shields on the back of the break pads. I bent the clips alittle with some needle nose pliers and used some hi-temp rtv to stick them to the pads. Easier than a ball joint..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts