Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
I'm new to the forum, as well as a 1st time diesel owner. I recently just purchased a 2014 LML with 176k on the odometer. when I test drove the truck it was raining so I couldn't really get into the throttle. Fast forward to the next dry day and really got into it. When I did this I noticed the truck really blows some smoke. Underneath the truck looks completely stock, and all components look brand new is this ok? I haven't noticed any regens at all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dies it have a tuner? Does it have the egr? Did you ask the previous owner anything about the truck before you bought it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The truck does not have a monitor so I'm not sure if it has a tune. The truck was purchased from a dodge dealership and they said it came in with the factory set up on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I do know that a factory truck, equipped with factory emissions, at factory specifications should not be blowing any black smoke. I have heard of white smoke during regen cycle.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I do know that a factory truck, equipped with factory emissions, at factory specifications should not be blowing any black smoke. I have heard of white smoke during regen cycle.
My 100% stock LMM would puff a little when you floored it from a stop. Not much, but it was there.

I would get the truck into a GM shop or someone familiar with GM diesel trucks and have them take a look. You most likely need a new fuel filter and injector cleaning. Ryan is right, though; you should hardly ever see any smoke on a stock truck. That's the point of all the emissions equipment on them. If it's noticeably smoking a lot it needs some attention.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Is it black (soot) on the inside of the tailpipe?

·
Registered
267 Posts
if you don't mind what did a 2014 sell for? i have a 14 with 117k and was just wondering what the market is like

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Since you are new to diesels and this forum this thread will be a good place to begin educating yrouself. It does nto address yrou smoke issue but has lots of info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Take a picture of exhaust and inside of tailpipe. Report back
I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow and get them to you tomorrow. I noticed two of the sensors are cut. Its the very last sensor on the pipe and if i remember correctly the second sensor on the dpf.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Two of the sensors are cut? You most likely have a tune on there then, or you're going to go into limp mode soon.

My guess is you have a tune on there already. Check to see if it is indeed the stock exhaust. If the DPF is there but not functioning you're going to get clogged up soon.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Black smoke on heavy throttle, cut/disconnected sensors, dirty tailpipe, no CEL -- sure sounds like a tuned and deleted truck.

The whole point of a DPF is so there will be no black smoke under heavy throttle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also unplugged what I assume to be the NOx sensor? When I cranked the truck it didn't throw a CEL is this normal as well?
20200708_161103.jpg

·
Registered
755 Posts
That truck has a tune on it, the sensors were cut off or disconnected, and the dpf pipe was cut off, and gutted and re welded back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This appears to be accurate.

·
Taking the Long Way Home
3,279 Posts
This appears to be accurate.
That being said, the OP can reach out to some of the companies that used to tune the LML with the vin, and they may be able to point the OP in the right direction.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That being said, the OP can reach out to some of the companies that used to tune the LML with the vin, and they may be able to point the OP in the right direction.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts