Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya folks. Just drove my new-to-me 2007 2500 classic LBZ home to AZ from Sacramento. Awesome truck... Stopped in Tehachapi to fuel up and the pump had biodiesel B20. I balked. Did a quick search on my phone for info but what I could find was pretty much anecdotal and nothing solid.
We don't have B20 here in Kingman that I know of, it's all D2. So I'm wondering... should I continue to avoid B20? Manual says OK up to B5, so I am going to stick with that or preferably D2 for now...
This is my first diesel; spend 25 years wrenching for a living but it was almost exclusively gassers.

Also, I was using gasbuddy to find fuel, but I got frustrated in that there's no info about whether stations have D2 or B20. Anyone know of a good app for getting that info?

LOVE this truck... will post pix once I take some of my own...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I go for B20 any time I can find it. I know of no downsides to it except that it doesn't have quite as much energy per gallon as dino diesel. That doesn't seem to matter though. I seem get the same or better mileage with bio as I do with dino.

Perhaps someone else will have more info but I say go for it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
The only issue you might have with B20 if you've never ran biodiesel is clogged fuel filter. Biodiesel will clean any gunk in the tank and lines and your filter will catch it. Other than that, good stuff, better lubricity than non-biodiesel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So... a follow-up question... I know I better look this up... how do you change the fuel filter correctly? Is it as simple as changing an oil filter? Keep a wrench and spare filter with me?

·
Registered
597 Posts
So... a follow-up question... I know I better look this up... how do you change the fuel filter correctly? Is it as simple as changing an oil filter? Keep a wrench and spare filter with me?
Pretty simple. Don't need the wrench, I just get it nice and snug by hand, never had a leak.
Basically pull the old filter off, swap the WIF sensor(if you still use it) and put the 2 new o-rings on the new filter. Install new filter. Take off bleeder screw, pump bleeder until fuel comes out, reinstall bleeder screw. That's it.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Been running B-XX in my LLY for over 8 years now, never had any issues. That's all you can get here in Oregon. I also use an additive every tank, but not sure if I really need to, bio D has better lubricity. I have a lift pump that adds 2 more filters to the fuel system but I think my fuel system is pretty clean after running bio all these years.

Reactions: mizterwizard

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Lots of modern diesel has a little bio in it so I didn't say anything about the cleaning aspect because you probably have already cleaned your tank and lines with B02 or B05 without knowing it. If perchance you have a lot of junk in your fuel system it will surely clean it out to run B20. Run a tank, change the fuel filter and that should take care of it.

The fuel filter is hardly more trouble than the oil filter. Some people take out the fender liner for access but I've never had to do that. You can reach it from the top. It just takes a bit of contortion and perhaps the right filter wrench. If you have a wrench for oil filters it will probably work on the fuel filter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Charlie, welcome to the site. I also live in Kingman and have owned two Duramaxes since 2002, so if you need some help or advice just send me a private email and we could meet if you like. This is a phenomenal site for information. I installed an after market trap door in the fenderwell that made it really easy to change the fuel filter. I can remove it by hand once you have installed the door.

·
Registered
575 Posts
should I continue to avoid B20? Manual says OK up to B5
Charlie,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your LBZ.
I run B-100 in an 07 LBZ and have been for the last 200K miles with no issues, so you should not have a problem with B-20. Having said that, some caution should be exercised during winter as bio fuel has a tendency to wax up once it gets below 40*F, but the petroleum manufacturers usually start backing off on the bio % in the winter, so the pump my say B-20 when the % is much lower or nonexistent with winterized fuel.

As some have mentioned on here, bio will clean out the fuel system so you may experience a clogged filter, maybe 2, depending on the fuel that was used by the previous owner. This is a one time thing and once the fuel system is clean, you are done. ALWAYS carry a spare fuel filter such as an AC DELCO TP 3018 or Parker/Racor PFF 50216 same filter, these are the only filters you want to use and now it appears that you can add the Baldwin BF 46062 (not the BF9882)as it is now part of the Parker/Racor family. DO NOT BUY A CHEAP FILTER. Do a search on the forum for the "Fuel Filter Shootout" by AlisoBob and follow it, hopefully he will be posting the results in the very near future. He also did a comparison on oil filters in the "Oil Filter Shootout"and is following up with a fuel filter comparison, great information.
Good luck with your new truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts