Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I do not believe you are going to be able to stretch that hose over the crimp ring.

You might try cutting off the crimp ring and slipping the hose on the line past where you created the leak. Use two worm gear camps about 1/2" apart to secure it to the line.
I will give that a try. What is a worm gear clamp? I have some ace hose clamps but they skip right before getting tight.

·
Premium Member
4,690 Posts
Im guessing you used a Dremel Tool with a cutoff wheel to cut it off. Next time turn the tool crosswise when you near that ridge so as not to cut into it.

PS those clamps you have are Worm Gear clamps. They use a worm gear to tighten. If they are skipping they aer defective get some from another source.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
When you install the clamps turn the worm 180 deg. From each other for much better clamping

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The issue is defiantly not fixed. Making my way from Redding to Brookings climbing Shasta the check engine light came on P0087 I had to reset it probably 20 times just to get into Oregon. As soon as I hit Oregon 96 degrees small hills the truck did just fine but climbing steep grades in Shasta it throw the code almost every hill.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I would check how much fuel the injectors and pump are returning next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I would check how much fuel the injectors and pump are returning next.

how would I do that plug it in read it while towing up a hill? Also how much is one of those reader? And if the injectors are returning too much fuel dose that mean they have gone bad?

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
You need to isolate the fuel return lines coming off the injectors, as well as the injection pump. Cranking the starter for 15 seconds at a time and measuring how much fuel is returned will give you the health of the injectors and pump.

·
Premium Member
4,690 Posts
what hoses have you replaced so far between the tank and the fuel pump?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
what hoses have you replaced so far between the tank and the fuel pump?
Just that little section of line in the picture but I’m going to buy all new lines just so I can eliminate one more thing. But I really don’t think that’s it I checked them like 7 times now.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Just that little section of line in the picture but I’m going to buy all new lines just so I can eliminate one more thing. But I really don’t think that’s it I checked them like 7 times now.
Replace all of the rubber hoses. It’s the first place to go on any older truck setting a P0087 on hard pulls.

·
Premium Member
4,690 Posts
First of all this is a nown Issue on these trucks, you are far from the first to experience it. The definitve solution is to change ALL the 1/2" flexible fuel hoses.

Since you just did the one at the LR of the engine, the next one is below the drivers seat next to the inside of the frame. Two swagged connectors here. (REMEMBER to turn that Dremel sideways when near that crimp in the SS fuel line.) You can get by with one cut in the swagged connector. Then put a large slotted screwdriver int he cut and twist with a wrench or pliers to open the slot. The connection will fall apart easily then.

Then BOTH the lines to and from your Fuel Filter head. The easiest and best way to do this is to simply buy a new FF unit from Rock Auto. For $100 you get a filter head, filter and new WIF sensor, a Super deal and all GM parts. Add a 6' length of new 1/2" Bio Compatible fuel hose in the order and you will be all set.

If you still have problems there is one more, on the top of the fuel tank, from the top of the pickup assy/sending unit to the first disconnect. This one is sometimes overlooked or neglected but just as important. (There was a thread a couple years ago where the guy chased and chased and chased this same issue, wanted to sell the truck for a HUGE loss just to get rid of the problem. Ran an Entire new flexible hose from the tank and found the problem while he was doing that.) Here I am telling you so you can learn from his frustrations.

You have to either drop the tank or lift the side of the bed to get access to it. I know it is a PITA, but DO IT to save yourself more grief later!

They get warm, soft and collapse under vacuum when pulling hard, so difficult to check when not running.

Even if you find the problem, DO THEM ALL so you do not have the same problem later, SOLVE the problem before it becomes a problem.

Then when you finish all these you re not done. Read this thread for ideas on how to maintain and keep that magnificent machine you have running in tip top form:

Reactions: cody530

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
The very next one you should do is on the left rear of the engine, where it curves up to the next hard line.

Then BOTH the lines to and from your Fuel Filter head. The easiest and best way to do this is to simply buy a new FF unit from Rock Auto. For $100 you get a filter head, filter and new WIF sensor, a Super deal and all GM parts. Add a 6' length of new 1/2" Bio Compatible fuel hose in the order and you will be all set.

If you still have problems there is one more, on the top of the fuel tank, from te top of the pickup assy/sending unit to the first disconnect. This one is sometimes overlooked or neglected but just as important. (There was a thread a couple years ago where the guy chased and chased and chased this same issue, wanted to sell the truck for a HUGE loss just to get rid of the problem. Ran an Entire new flexible hose from the tank and found the problem while he was doing that.) Here I am telling you so you can learn from his frustrations.

They get warm, soft and collapse under vacuum when pulling hard, so difficult to check when not running.

Even if you find the problem, DO THEM ALL so you do not have the same problem later, SOLVE the problem before it becomes a problem.
My fuel feed started leaking right under the steering column right after I bought my truck. I replaced all of the lines from the tank/cooler to the engine with Dorman’s stainless set. Not cheap but the flexible sections are teflon lines with braided stainless outer covering. I want to replace the section on top of the tank yet and the set from the pump to the filter head, along with the filter head soon. Truck has 209,000 on it now so sooner or later these lines will give me trouble. 👍🏻

Reactions: 407driver

·
Premium Member
4,690 Posts
My fuel feed started leaking right under the steering column right after I bought my truck. I replaced all of the lines from the tank/cooler to the engine with Dorman’s stainless set. Not cheap but the flexible sections are teflon lines with braided stainless outer covering. I want to replace the section on top of the tank yet and the set from the pump to the filter head, along with the filter head soon. Truck has 209,000 on it now so sooner or later these lines will give me trouble. 👍🏻
All my flexible braided lines have been replaced with 1/2" bio compatible fuel hose. I have not had any trouble whatsoever.

I really didn't see the reason to replace the stainless lines since the truck was never in a salt environment and not rusted at all. Had they been rusted they would have been replaced as well.

Since I have an older truck 08, (don't misunderstand this is by choice and I LOVE this truck) I believe in taking care of potential problems and future problems when Im in there doing whatever comes up at the time. I do not like doing double labor (MINE) to solve problems.

4 years ago when I bought an 08 I knew virtually nothing about diesel truck engines. This forum and the members here have been outstanding in teaching me about maintaining and operating them. Lucky for em Im a quick study because I prefer to do my own maintenance.

PS, if this guy will listen and do as we suggest instead of try and Cheap Charlie the repairs in labor and materials he will end up with a Very reliable wonderful machine!

I Know this is a PITA to some but IMHO Well worth the effort!

Reactions: ChevyTech77

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So I just got back, code never popped up but then agin it was 90% down hill. I’m debating on cutting out all the old hose and adding new hose or buying the kit that replaces all the lines.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ok so I just bought 1/2 and 3/8 hose going to replace all the rubber on the fuel lines this weekend return line as well. Is there anything I should be checking/replacing while I got the tank down other then the lines on top?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts