Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My name is Brian and I am new to this fourm. I have allot of questions on my truck.
I just bout a 04 2500HD duramax, My first question I have do all of the diesels have the alison trans in them. And also what is the differnce between a LLY and a LB7 I looked at the stiker on the door and it has 10-03 on it. And do you guys know the codes for the rear I think I have a 373 posi but not sure. And do all of the trucks have the plug so I can plug it in, It is starting to get cold hear in PA. Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,163 Posts
WElcome to the site,

THe dmax truck are avaliable with two transmissions, allison auto trans and ZF manual trans. Being built 10/03 that makes yours an lb7 differences being mostly the location of the injectors (inside the valve cover) and type of turbo ( standard style turbo)! AS for the rear end all dmax trucks came equiped with 3.73 rears from the factory! And your engine heater plug should be bundled up down below you coolant bottle on the inner fender!

Hope this helps
Caleb

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help.
Is there a wait light for starting the engine, I had an old GM with A 6.2 and it had a light that came on and you had to wait tell it went out before you can start it up. I have no manual for this truck so I am having some problems figuring all this new stuff out. Is the LB7 good or bad? I love the truck so far. Thanks again for the help.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,163 Posts
There is a little curly q looking light that is for the glow plugs it should only come on for a sec or two when the key if first turned on if the engine is cold! The Lb7 is a great engine some have had injector problems but but it was mostly 01's and 02's!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I will look for the curly p on the dash. I was also wondering if my trailor brake wire harness off of my 01 1500 will work on my 04 2500HD? I did plug it in and the green light did light up on the brake controller but when you put on the brake pedal the light on the brake controller does not turn yellow like it did on my 01. Thanks alot for all of the help you guys are great.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just bought a 04 3500 built in Nov 03. It has the db7 engine. I have the manual. Its quite large, but if you need any pages scanned & emailed, I can help you out. My email is [email protected]

I think the easiest way to tell if you have the allison tranny according to the manual is if you have the overdrive disable on the end of the towhaul stick. It is marked as a D with a line through it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you have a duramax diesel engine the ONLY automatic transmission that comes with em is the Allison.:rockin
I also have an Allison automatic in my garbage truck and it has 98,000 km on it or about 54,000 miles and no tranny problems at all-yet anyhow

·
Registered
52 Posts
Probably the lb7 if it was made in 03. Mine was made Nov 03 & it is an lb7. I know there is one of the digits in the Vin number that tells you, but I'm not sure which one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts