Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Yesterday afternoon I put a deposit down on a 2017 3500 HD LT Silverado dually. Looking forward to having her a long time. Previously, actually sold her last night, I drove a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The Dodge was my first diesel and from the moment I test drove her 3 years ago I feel in love with the way the diesel engine pulled and cannot see myself towing with a gas engine again.
Wanting to eventually move up to a 5th wheel I knew I needed something with more than 9k GVWR , so I started looking at 1 ton duallies. One thing I could not get over was how quiet, compared to my Cummins, the Duramax is and the Allison transmission is smooth.
I have subscribed here to learn from everyone else. Just wondering what you all recommend I do once I get my 3500 home? She has 55k on her and from the carfax report it appears she went to the dealer for every oil change.With my Cummins I did most maintenance work myself , but looking under the hood of this one it appears to have minimal room to do anything.
Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and wisdom with me, Joe D.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Welcome to the Duramax forum. And congrats on the truck. We are here like to say. Post pics or it didn't happen. Lol. Congrats again. And alot of very helpful people on here.

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Welcome to the DF!

Reactions: usmc616

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Howdy and welcome from AZ.
Wonder if they have done any filter/filters and oil change to the Allison?
Did you talk with the former owner or can you get that info?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Howdy and welcome from AZ.
Wonder if they have done any filter/filters and oil change to the Allison?
Did you talk with the former owner or can you get that info?
The carfax did not show any work done on the transmission, basically all it has listed is "maintenance" each time it was in the dealership, sometimes it says oil and filter changed. Since it was a trade in I did not get a chance to meet the previous owner. My assumption is no maintenance has been performed on the transmission, what do you recommend I have done?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I picked her up on Wednesday evening and left Thursday afternoon for a camping trip. I needed to raise the ball on my hitch because my Dodge sat a little higher. Truck pulled great and I had a chance to experiment with the exhaust brake. Got a lot more to learn about this truck before I feel comfortable in driving her on a long trip pulling my camper.

One night I received a " water in fuel" message, It has not came up again but I do want to change the filter, what brand filter do you reccommend?

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts