Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm relatively new to the world of diesels, I bought my first diesel back in the fall of 2018 (2006 Silverado 2500HD LT Duramax with Allison 6 Speed Transmission) and have been working on it through the summer, simple things like oil change, fuel filter change, repaired the passenger fender where the battery leaked acid and ate through it (two new batteries) and repaired some rust damage on the passenger rear cab quarter. I also did a roll in bed liner and other little repairs. The wife and I bought a 32 foot fifth wheel to pull with the truck and I'll be going through both with a fine tooth comb to ensure our travels are as trouble free as possible. I read the thread on the passenger battery issue and I'm going to figure out a way to cover my battery because I noticed I'm still getting water leaking between the cowl and the hood. I did a lot of fiberglass repair and replaced the battery tray and fender bracket and I don't want to go through that again. I'll be reading through the posts for ideas and issues and hopefully be able to offer some helpful information down the road.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Reactions: RVTugger

·
Registered
37 Posts
Welcome to the group, please don't hesitate to ask any of the other members questions about anything. I know I have.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the group, please don't hesitate to ask any of the other members questions about anything. I know I have.
The layout of this forum is identical to SLK World, I am a member there for my SLK 55 AMG. I usually search the threads for available information before posting questions. Thank you for the welcome I already asked a question on one thread regarding fuel filters, the Cat conversion seems like a good idea to me until you consider there's no longer a bleed off for water, that part concerns me.

·
Premium Member
10,678 Posts
Welcome to the DF, cat filter conversion is a waste of money IMO. Just use a good stock filter.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Welcome! Nice truck man!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Welcome to the DF, cat filter conversion is a waste of money IMO. Just use a good stock filter.
I tend to agree with you especially since there is no water separator on the Cat conversion, if there is a better filter than ACDelco I'd like to know but I won't put anything on that doesn't remove water because injectors and high pressure pumps are expensive. For the extra $17 I even replaced the sensor and bought the sensor removal / installation tool and will probably replace it with every filter change. I am considering three upgrades and looking for input. 1) LBZ tune on my 2006 "D" motor from the factory LLY tune. 2) EGR Delete. 3) Cat Delete.

I'm not looking to gain huge amounts of horsepower or torque my intent it to improve fuel economy as much as possible and improve reliability / longevity of my motor. I have several vehicles, the main purpose of the Duramax is to haul our 32 foot Keystone fifth wheel around the country in the highest possible comfort.

I have things to do yet on the maintenance side like ball joints, inner and outer tire rod ends, shocks and addition of air lift on the leaf springs. I need to address an issue with the driver's door speaker on the Bose system and another issue with the radio not turning off when the driver's door is opened after the key is removed, it shuts down when the passenger door is opened. Overall the truck is in great shape for it age and I'd like to bring it as close as possible to new condition in all respects.

Thanks for your opinion on the Cat fuel filter, it confirms what I was thinking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to DF. I would keep your OE filter, it is a very good quality filter made by Racor.

If I can ever be of assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

Take care,
Thank you, I might take you up on your kind offer after I get past the basic maintenance items I have lined up. I considering a few upgrades mostly related to reliability like trans temp, EGT and boost pressure monitoring, I'll be looking for options on the most reliable and accurate setups at that point, also considering an LBZ tune on my 06 LLY if there's any benefit so I'll be looking for educated opinions when I get to that point. Thanks Again.

·
Vendor
10,987 Posts
A good set of gauges is always important. For the money, I would go with the Edge Insight CTS2. It will monitor everything the ECM gets. Then you can add an EGT probe to it and if you go with a DSP5 tune later on, you can add a switch to the setup and switch your tunes with the CTS2.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts