Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So i got my 2005 2500HD with bags and banks 6-gun package and this:

Busa Stampede 2011 003.jpg

It's a 33ft fifth wheel weighing in at 8900(i think) dry, Then we loaded it with this:
Busa Stampede 2011 344.jpg

each of the back 4 bikes are about 650 lbs and the little one in the front is a little less(not sure how much). so we will say 3k lbs worth of bikes. then add about 15 gallons of gas in the trailer's tank, 1/3 tank of water and tools/track gear. add 4 adults, toolbox, and baby and in the truck.

We went from San Diego CA, up the I-15, and up the US-395 to Reno, NV. We went through a couple passes and up/down 8% grades a bunch. at a smooth 55-60 mph (except for the crazy grades, went down to 35ish)

I said all of that to ask, was this smart? or am I going to break my truck? Is there some stuff I can add (without breaking the bank) to add to help?

I ask this because my engine and tranny temps were getting close to the red, but I managed to keep them out of the red. My Banks iQ started yelling "execssive trans slip" and that made me nervous.

Registered
Welcome to the forum

- Adam

Registered
Welcome to the Forum. Alot of us tow heavier with little or no issue. There are some non-bank-breaking add-on/mods that will help the LLY. 1. New turbo mouth piece 2. bigger tranny cooler. There are options for both and neither requires alot of skill to install. If you still see hot temps and want to be rid of them for good, look at an auxiliary radiator. More than anything else, those three things will do you good.

Registered
We go riding in Mammoth all the time. I pull my 35' with gear and never had a problem. That last haul up into Mammoth is a real B****!!! though. My weight is right at 13,500.

Registered
Welcome to the DF

Sent from my DROIDX

Registered
I ask this because my engine and tranny temps were getting close to the red, but I managed to keep them out of the red. My Banks iQ started yelling "execssive trans slip" and that made me nervous.

I would be putting some $$ into a piggy bank. A transmission is in your future if you continue your current course. I assume you use Tow Haul. That will help the tranny temperatures but will not prevent the clutch slipping.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8

I would be putting some $$ into a piggy bank. A transmission is in your future if you continue your current course. I assume you use Tow Haul. That will help the tranny temperatures but will not prevent the clutch slipping.
You assume correctly. If I have the 5th wheel hooked up, I have it in tow/haul. My temps stayed normal for the most part, but going up those grades is where the temps started rising.

The temps are not as much as a concern as the slip, havent had the issue again since returning back from my trip. But i dont know if the slip is "OMG something is broke" or "tranny is just not happy" or "negligable due to the amount of weight"

Premium Member
For the most part the Allison is smart and will protect itself from damaging internal parts by going into limp mode.

Registered
By the looks of it you have a triple axle trailer - I would think it weights more than 8900 lbs. I would be more worried about exceeding the GVWR of the truck.
I would be using synthetic fluids in the engine and tranny with thast kind of load. Have you changed the engine coolant yet. May be time for a flush/fill.

Registered
I'm not familiar with the banks 6 gun and what it has for power options or anything, but make sure when your towing you set it back to the stock power level, it has plenty of power to tow, and using extra power just puts extra stress on your tranny.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
By the looks of it you have a triple axle trailer - I would think it weights more than 8900 lbs. I would be more worried about exceeding the GVWR of the truck.
I would be using synthetic fluids in the engine and tranny with thast kind of load. Have you changed the engine coolant yet. May be time for a flush/fill.
I have synthetics in there but havent touched the coolant. Ill get on that

Dry weight is indicated @ 8900, max load is 15,500

max for the truck is 15 k right?

Registered
Welcome to the forum

1 - 13 of 13 Posts