Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Just a few questions about towing. I am considering a change in life. I want to get the best 1 ton tow vehicle and 5th wheel TT I can find. I plan on living in the thing. I looked at Ford but questions still swirl about the 6.0. Dodge has body/trans issues from what I have read. I have heard wonderful things about Chevrolet and their 6.6 and Alison Tranny which afterall is the heart of a tow vehicle. My questions are: I understand that 20 miles is unrealistic to expect from an unloaded truck is that correct? What can I expect? I have read that the duramax can tow everything from 0 to 35k. As I plan on a TT 5er I would guess it will weigh in at 15 to 18k loaded. Is this too much weight to tow on a semi regular basis. I plan on traveling around the country which means towing about every other weekend for appx 2 years... Sorry this is so long...

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
The truck will handle that weight with no problems. Mileage may not be the best, but it depends on how you drive it. I am assuming you are looking at getting a dually. I would say that you should be able to get 15-18 mpg unloaded as long as you are nice with the throttle. Towing people haven't been real happy with the new trucks since the mileage drops. When this happens, just think about the power difference and what a gas truck would get. Overall, a diesel truck will get better mileage and last you a very long time as long as you do regular maintenance and take care of it.

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I did think briefly about getting a Kodiak, till I saw the price... lol I was hoping to do this change at a total cost of 75k. I figure I can get a nice 350/3500 drw 4x4 lb td for under 35k and the 5er for 35 to 40k... Hope my expectations are not unrealistic. BTW it's just me, no longer errrr "encumbered"...

·
Registered
300 Posts
I figure I can get a nice 350/3500 drw 4x4 lb td for under 35k and the 5er for 35 to 40k... Hope my expectations are not unrealistic. .
sounds about right.:cool

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Bigmack. You will get many more responses and better experienced Rvers if you visit irv2dotcom, or rvdotnet. The main thing is to stay within the truck mfgrs. published weight limits if you wish to avoid $$$$ problems later. There is a post there now from this guy with a blown Cummins engine. I suspect it is connected to towing overweight, his total weight is 30,200lbs. As far as towing trucks, all the big three have worked out the issues of current setups. I would not hesitate to buy any of them. I withhold opinions of the new Ford diesel 6.2 and Cummins 6.7 until they have a few hundred thousand miles under their belt.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Duramax/Allison combo is wonderful. If you are going to be having a lot of windshield time, you can not beat the low noise of the GM combo! Having towed a 32ft enclosed tri axle car hauler with both a Cummins and a PSD, I will say that the PSD did a better job in the power and trans department. Though I have not used my truck yet, I expect it to trump both of the others (all were 3/4 ton trucks). Things I would look into if I was doing that much towing would be a turbo back exhaust and a programmer (with a display mounted in the cab). The exhaust to help keep EGTs down, and the programmer for the extra information you can gain from it. Plus the extra power on tap never hurt either!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
. I withhold opinions of the new Ford diesel 6.2 and Cummins 6.7 until they have a few hundred thousand miles under their belt.[/QUOTE]

Are there not a bunch of new things about the Duramax?

·
Registered
86 Posts
ref>lancer, Like what?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Seems like a bunch of the Emissions stuff was changed...was it not some little problem with the VVT turbo that made some of the LLY's overheat and stuff?
I'm not a chevy expert either,so thats why I dunno!
I'm here to learn!:drink

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes, just like all the manufacturers, there are a lot of new emissions pieces added. The turbo was also changed up some. Still a variable vane, but the impeller and shaft design has been "enhanced" for better reliability.

·
Registered
192 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
whatever truck you decide on getting, i would certainly look into getting an exhaust brake installed. I have a 2006 chevy dually that i use to pull a Sooner 5 horse gooseneck trailer. Just recently, I hauled one horse from Burbank, CA up the Grapevine to Fresno.

when in tow haul mode and going downhill, the trans did an okay job but when you tap the brakes, be ready for the trans to downshift and if you are
in the shifting range, be ready for the downshift and watch your tachometer
to rev past 3000 + rpm. I also found that that just the weight of the trailer
still pushes the truck..what i'm really saying is that with weight behind of you,
i would look into an exhaust brake

1 - 13 of 13 Posts