Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive had my stage V in for about a week now, bout 650 miles on it and the 4-5 is still shifting very hard at 3/4 to WOT it almost seems like its double hitting?? Is it supposed to still be doing this? 3-4 is kinda jerky too..:drink

·
Registered
726 Posts
It will shift violently when you reflash the trans or a rebuild it sounds like its just breaking in I did my trans 10k ago and it kicks you in the a$$ every time. What converter are running?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will shift violently when you reflash the trans or a rebuild it sounds like its just breaking in I did my trans 10k ago and it kicks you in the a$$ every time. What converter are running?
I figured it would be broken in by now with almost 1000 miles on it now. Yes the tcm was reflashed after install, I'm running at 1056 Suncoast with it. With 1/4 to 1/2 throttle every shift is smooth except for 4-5. Then if I get on it more 3-4 gets jerky. So you figure its still just breaking in? Everytime it hits fifth it feels like death lol

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
is it the same tune you have always run in the ecm?

have you tried reseting the taps again?

·
Its just a worktruck
19 Sierra
13,908 Posts
The hard "second shift" you are feeling is the converter locking. That is something you never felt with the stocker. The first time I drove one with a built trans I was like WTF was that?

·
Its just a worktruck
19 Sierra
13,908 Posts
And also you have an ADII which is demand flow. The more fuel the motor gets the harder it will shift. So when you go WOT you get more fuel from the lift pump, therefore you get a firmer shift. I crank my PPE pump up to 16 PSI for the track and it shifts way harder.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And also you have an ADII which is demand flow. The more fuel the motor gets the harder it will shift. So when you go WOT you get more fuel from the lift pump, therefore you get a firmer shift. I crank my PPE pump up to 16 PSI for the track and it shifts way harder.
The AD is sitting in my garage awaiting install so its not in yet lol. So basically the harder or firmer it shifts is a good thing? I couldnt imagine maxxed out shifting gears lol...

is it the same tune you have always run in the ecm?

have you tried reseting the taps again?
yes the same 5 tunes as i was running before i got the trans, waiting on funds to get new tunes. and no i havnt tried to reset the taps

·
Registered
322 Posts
When your tranny was rebuilt the tap cells were probably cleared of all of the shift memory. it will take a while to relearn the shift. be patient some abnormal shifts are expected in the learning cycle.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When your tranny was rebuilt the tap cells were probably cleared of all of the shift memory. it will take a while to relearn the shift. be patient some abnormal shifts are expected in the learning cycle.
Yes they were cleared, suncoast recommended doing it to prevent damage. I figured 1000 mile would be enough...hell i read on here people puttin it to the floor after 50-100 miles.. i dont think i went WOT till 800 miles.. its gettin better but im just impatient i guess:rolleyes:

·
Its just a worktruck
19 Sierra
13,908 Posts
The AD is sitting in my garage awaiting install so its not in yet lol. So basically the harder or firmer it shifts is a good thing? I couldnt imagine maxxed out shifting gears lol...

yes the same 5 tunes as i was running before i got the trans, waiting on funds to get new tunes. and no i havnt tried to reset the taps
Well then...throw that assumption out the window LOL.

Firm, smooth shifts are good. Hard shifts that bang like a TH400 with a B&M kit are bad.

·
Registered
485 Posts
freaked me out after my new tranny was put in, but i was told it was normal and basically get used to it lol (precision TC) put it in T/H and youll really feel the jolt!

·
Registered
541 Posts
converter lock up......I still hate it. All your shifts will become nice and smooth after a good amount of hard driving. but lock up is always there......and it's something i guess we just have to deal with.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
converter lock up......I still hate it. All your shifts will become nice and smooth after a good amount of hard driving. but lock up is always there......and it's something i guess we just have to deal with.
So basically its nothing to worry about? just keep driving? and the lockup will always be there? will that ever get smoother or just firm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.