Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here, so bear with me. Just bought my first diesel last week and am finding a lot of little problems with it... but maybe Im just too picky, although it is a $47,000 pick up, so I expect a little better quality than a cheap little pickup. Anyway here is what I have found so far, if anyone has run into the same problems please let me know what it was...
1. I have a pretty bad belt chirp from one of the pulleys that doesn't go away until the truck is fully warmed up.
2. the dashboard makes a big thud randomly (I think it a dampner or something in the HVAC system, if I shut it off the sound stops)
3. My driver seat pops sometimes when I go over a speed bump or a bump in the road, it feels like something is separated in my seat.
4. On top of it all, it occassionally sounds like something is shorting or plastic creaking due to stress under the driver side dashboard. (can't figure this out.)

Anyway, just wondering if any of the people out there ran into similar problems. Already have an appt with the dealer, but other than the belt sqeak, have a feeling that the dealer won't fix the other stuff.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Welcome!!! Yeah, most of those are common problems with the GM trucks.

2. I believe you are right on that one...we have a truck at work that does this too...I haven't noticed mine doing that, but my truck is a little louder than the new ones while idling.

3. My truck sometimes does this...I have read where they have fixed it on other people's trucks. I haven't noticed mine doing it lately though either.

4. There is a number of things that could cause this sound. Without being able to witness the sound, it will be pretty hard to guess on this one. If the dealer doesn't find anything, it is pretty easy to take the dash apart to look for something loose or rattling.

Hopefully the dealer will be able to fix some of the problems for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you just purchased the truck you should have a 5000km/3 month bumper to bumper warranty. As a GM Opitum Used vehicle, at least in Canada. I would say if this is still in play, stick it to the stealer. I had several problems when I had bought my used truck. At the end of 3 months they had fixed pretty much everything, The salesman told me they had lost money on the truck, which I don't believe. But I stuck it to them for over $5K of fixes anyway.:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your replies. Actually the truck is new, and I bought a WRAP warranty (don't usually buy extra warranties but with the price of this truck I did, the allison wasn't covered as long as the engine was). So everything is covered until 100k. I already got an appt with the dealer to fix this stuff, but I can't get it in until Dec 4. Ill keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I brought the truck in early, and boy was that fun... The dealer tried to tell me that the belt/alternator squeak was normal, and it's caused by the alternator taking extra load due to charging the battery back up...right. Anyway, he basically said it was normal, and there was nothing they could do about it. That was completely unsat. He said they weren't even authorized to change the belt out, the truck has 600 miles on it!!! Anyway, I promptly decided to take another route, I called the warranty 1800 number, talked to a supervisor. What do you know, they are going to change my belt out, and see if that fixes it. By the way, they fixed the popping in the seat, but the thud in the dashboard still is going off intermittantly at low speeds. Belt first, little stuff second.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The "thud" your talking about in your dash is most likely the a/c pump kicking on and off, it goes on with your defroster too so if you have any of that on you will hear it in the dash and feel it in the floor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I took the truck in, and what do you know, they still didn't want to change the belt out, even though the squeak had gotten louder. Anyway, after a fight, they changed it out, and even though the squeak went away, they said that there wasn't any problem before.? Anyway, now I have two out of four problems taken care of. More later....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts