Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my parents are looking at a new truck....they have a f150 and want a diesel. my mom loves ford and my dad like the cummins motor but was told today that the 2011 2500 cummins has an allison in it so he is sold in the fact that it has a good motor and excellent trans. i didnt know allison came in the dodges?
Also, i have heard a lot of good things about the new fords. any ideas on how i can help them get the best truck....they are going to be retiring in the next year and travel more with their fifth wheel camper. they took their f150 outwest and said they wont do that trip without a diesel again.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
There is no Ally behind the Cummins.... So see if he's still sold on them after that lol.. As for the Fords, their trannys are great stock, but I still wouldn't own one.. If they want to buy used, get them to look at either a LLY or LBZ Dmax, or 05-07 5.9 Cummins.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
There is no Ally behind the Cummins.... So see if he's still sold on them after that lol.. As for the Fords, their trannys are great stock, but I still wouldn't own one.. If they want to buy used, get them to look at either a LLY or LBZ Dmax, or 05-07 5.9 Cummins.
Why not a LMM?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are only going to but new. I mentioned a used diesel. They only want new. Just trying to push them in the right way...they will be paying cash...must be nice lol. But my dad had worked hard.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
tell them they need to compromise and neither get what they want.

i feel like a denali LML would be perfect

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
^^^ Agree !

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If they get a denali, id be really jealous lol but happy for em. Love my lly tho. Trying to push then to chevy, my moms brother is retired gm from michigan. Same with my dads BIL. So chevy runs in our family. My grandpa always had ford trucks do my mom has always give that route.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
yeah, and if they want a dually, the denali dually is hands down the best looking one on the market. I like the chevy for SRW's.
those are damn nice trucks, seems right down their alley to me

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea they aren't wanting a dually. Just a srw 250. They have a cougar fifth wheel that is half ton towable. Nice camper.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Take them to test drive the new trucks and see which one they like... Can't force them to do anything. And I personally think the GM interior is outdated compared to the Fords and Dodges right now, but thats just me. A better, more reliable truck is more important, and that would be the Dmax. Show them magazines like Diesel Power or go on their website and have them read the King of the Hill results... Point proven

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They test drove the dodge tonight and liked the way it road. My dad was sold because he has always liked cummins motors. The salesman kept telling him it has an allison and not to worry about transmissions. They are going to look at a ford later and trying to get them to look at the chevy. Big thing for my mom its the seats and head rest. She has a bad neck due to a car accident so she needs the support. i will show him a couple magazines as well.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I guess the dealership salesmen will tell you anything these days

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
i thought the cummins had an aisin (sp?) tranny behind them now? or maybe that was a protoype. shit i dunno. but it's not an allison

·
Registered
662 Posts
They test drove the dodge tonight and liked the way it road. My dad was sold because he has always liked cummins motors. The salesman kept telling him it has an allison and not to worry about transmissions. They are going to look at a ford later and trying to get them to look at the chevy. Big thing for my mom its the seats and head rest. She has a bad neck due to a car accident so she needs the support. i will show him a couple magazines as well.
I would completely exnay the cummins for every aspect, except for the price tag. It rides like a lumberwagon compared to chevy and fords. If they want a diesel that is behind the curve but still reliable for the cheapest price, with the least amount of creature comforts then the cummins is the way to go. Of course we are all biased and are gonna push the duramax, but the 6.7psd is doing really well, and the torqueshift tranny is bulletproof. Either the chevy are ford would be a great choice; they both offer a quality ride, amazing power, and solid transmissions

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
BANNED
789 Posts
I wouldnt buy anything from that salesman. :rolleyes: I would say either a LML or a 6.7 Ford.

·
Less than desired
992 Posts
Drew you are correct... Dodge now comes with the Aisen trans... the dyslexic bastards, think that says Allison Lmao

·
Do work!
2,234 Posts
If they do go with the 6.7 Ford... if its an early '11 make sure it has its ECM updates. But from personal experience I would hold of on the Ford diesel... For sake of having a truck to drive instead of looking at it in the service bay frequently...

·
BANNED
789 Posts
If they do go with the 6.7 Ford... if its an early '11 make sure it has its ECM updates. But from personal experience I would hold of on the Ford diesel... For sake of having a truck to drive instead of looking at it in the service bay frequently...
You still have yours?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts