Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got the new LB7 about a month ago....

so my first oil change is gonna be a good one with Amsoil. Question though. I was thinking to change trans stuff too... Should I worry about spin on filter only or should I get both and do a fresh change altogether. FYI...truck has approx 85k on her

I'm kinda new to the whole duramax scene. unlike my bike and car, all the sites i visit with it has a service manual thats available for download. Wish you guys did. Any thoughts or comments you would like add for a person doing it for the first time....How much, what type, and all would be greatly appreciated. I feel horrible as I built a 750hp subaru but im asking questions an automatic transmission..funny to me i guess.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good suggestion on the downloadable service manual. I know they show you service requirements in the diesel supplement pamphlet that comes with the owners manual. The Mods or someone else on here may know where to get it or are working on one for here.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
It would be a good idea to do both filters, it won't hurt. Besides, do you know the full history of the truck and how it was taken care of? I think GM states the internal only needs to be changed upon overhaul. Most guys and dealers (at least mine) will just drain the pan and add to fill up the tranny again. I read that will take about 13-14 quarts of fluid to bring it back up. The tranny takes a total of 24 quarts....obviously you won't need that since you will probably just drain an fill it back up. My dealer told me that they couldn't flush the Allison, so they asked me if I wanted them to pull the pan and change the interal while it was empty. Alldatadiy.com has a lot of good information on it. As far as online manuals, I don't think they are offered. I do have the owner's manual and diesel supplement in electronic format that I could send you if you didn't get those with the truck. Just PM me your e-mail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts