Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody move the cigarette lighter port or the usb port so that it was more accessible? Thinking of rewiring my usb and lighter port so that I can mount something closer to the nav screen or on the side of the console. If you have do you have PICs?

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Anybody move the cigarette lighter port or the usb port so that it was more accessible? Thinking of rewiring my usb and lighter port so that I can mount something closer to the nav screen or on the side of the console. If you have do you have PICs?
i dont know that i would delete whats already there, why not just add an additional port if you want one closer?

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Something like one of these maybe?
most of those would be fine, though im not sure you would utilize the HDMI port on the PAC one. I would stay away from the 3.5" PC one though, thats designed to be inside of a dry, low humidity, temperature contorted computer and not a car. Im not saying its going to corrode and fall apart on you in short order, but im also not saying it wont.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont know that i would delete whats already there, why not just add an additional port if you want one closer?
most of those would be fine, though im not sure you would utilize the HDMI port on the PAC one. I would stay away from the 3.5" PC one though, thats designed to be inside of a dry, low humidity, temperature contorted computer and not a car. Im not saying its going to corrode and fall apart on you in short order, but im also not saying it wont.
yeah leaving the one thats already there would be fine too. I just want to add some more since everyone one in my family has to have one to plug up to. I swear they go thru phone batteries like a fat kid eats cake. lol. I am considering changing the nav screen out to a Kenwood DNX695S and it has 2 usb outlets in the rear of the unit itselft that i could plug these into for power. And on the one with the hmdi port, i wasn't worried about using that one in particular, it was just for example. However I would like to utilize the open space at the back of the console and put something in there for the rear seat passengers. Kinda like the one that looks like it goes into a computer.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
yeah leaving the one thats already there would be fine too. I just want to add some more since everyone one in my family has to have one to plug up to. I swear they go thru phone batteries like a fat kid eats cake. lol. I am considering changing the nav screen out to a Kenwood DNX695S and it has 2 usb outlets in the rear of the unit itselft that i could plug these into for power. And on the one with the hmdi port, i wasn't worried about using that one in particular, it was just for example. However I would like to utilize the open space at the back of the console and put something in there for the rear seat passengers. Kinda like the one that looks like it goes into a computer.
cutting square openings accurately enough for something like that computer one would be hard, circles are really your best bet for a clean outcome because you can use a hole saw. If you go the route of the rectangle one, it will either need to have a lip around it to hide the cut marks, because no matter how long you spend cutting, filing, sanding, it will not look like factory. or you will need to use body filler and paint to flush it into the plastic, which is a lot of work.

I fully support adding ports back there, but id recommend ones that are round, at least on the back where it goes through the console.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts