Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought a 02 Chevy Silverado 4x4 extended cab in body and interior in great condition a week ago and this is what i know .
Vin # 1GCHK29152E286535
250k Mi
Runs Great
Attitude w/ the juice
5" exhaust
White diesel smelling exhaust ,(less at cold start up)
Bought truck for $7 k
Fuel pump module replaced ,(FG0166) 6 months ago
Injectors replaced 3/06 105000 mi.

Now time to minimize smoke
Disconnected Attitude and switched back to stock
Seller told me he used no fuel additive so I added double dose of
Diesel Kleen
Cleaned air filter and mass air flow sensor
Used AC Delco Injector cleaner X66P
Had difficulty with fuel line disconnect so added 4 oz into new fuel filter and ran for 15 minutes then repeat 4 times.

Changed oil and got like 4 gallons of diesel and oil mix from oil pan

Bought a code reader and got several codes
P0090
P0182
P0193
P0380
P0540
U1800

Balance rates are at Idle
1 3.2
2 -.2
3 -.8
4 .2
5 -.3
6 2.4
7 -1.3
8 -3.4

There is only a small difference in reading while in drive ,(mostly .3 )

I am a carpenter with some but limited time, funds and mechanical ability .
It is a good thing I did not sell my 96 6.5 turbo diesel yet.
I believe my next step is to bring to a mechanic to check compression and return rates ?
I know injectors are long overdue for replacement but do not want to sink good money after bad .

What is my next step ?
Any and all thoughtful advise is appreciated ! Thanks

P.S. Can anyone refer a good/inexpensive mechanic ?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Why did you post about an LB7 in the LLY forum?

You need an injector job.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Unfortunately it's definantly your injectors :( Contact Lincoln Diesel Specialties or one of the other great vendors on here and they will get you set on the right track and may even be able to recommend mechanics in your area.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Your problems are from the injectors and the codes are from the EDGE Juice w/Attitude. I strongly recommend replacing the injectors soon because fuel dilution can cause a bearing to spin. Also... Get rid of the EDGE it's going to cause many sensors to fail. It only adjusts tuning by intercepting the signals in the sensors and telling the ECM something modified. There is a good chance the p0380 (crankshaft position sensor code) will cause the sensor to fail and have a no start when removing the EDGE.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should I have have mechanic check compression and return rates before I order new injectors ?

From everyone's advise I am 99% sure it is injectors but could it be lack of compression from piston rings or valves ?

How much should I expect to pay,(ballpark) for this inspection ?

I hear good things about Lincoln Diesel but Merchant claims new injectors,(Bosch) for less than Lincoln rebuilt .
Is there something I do not see ? Just wondering ?

Ordering rebuild kits . Waste of time ?

Thanks , Jim M

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
If it makes you feel better, go to a local diesel mechanic and ask if he could hook a reader on it.

I'd contact Lincoln and talk to them about your situation. Injectors may be cheaper from MA, but it all depends on a lot of factors. On these trucks, you don't want to try to save an extra buck or you could end up costing yourself more in the future. I've never ordered from Lincoln personally, but I see Aaron is on here everyday helping members the best he can.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Considering you said it runs great I'd get 8 reman injectors from Lincoln diesel and be done with it.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Should I have have mechanic check compression and return rates before I order new injectors ?

From everyone's advise I am 99% sure it is injectors but could it be lack of compression from piston rings or valves ?

How much should I expect to pay,(ballpark) for this inspection ?

I hear good things about Lincoln Diesel but Merchant claims new injectors,(Bosch) for less than Lincoln rebuilt .
Is there something I do not see ? Just wondering ?

Ordering rebuild kits . Waste of time ?

Thanks , Jim M
I can guarantee you that there are NO new injectors for the LB7. They are all Reman or Refurbished. We buy the same injectors as MA from Bosch. And we price match our competitors for the same products we sell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I think this is what is recommended in this order

1.I should order a set of injectors w/install kit
2. Check for leaks ,(return side) after I have valve covers off
3. Check compression as replacing glow plugs ,( No code for bad glow plugs but come with kit)
3a. if compression is good, forgo valve adjustment ?
4. Install rebuild injectors
4a. Check for leaks before installing valve covers ?
5. Run truck and hopefully not making oil or white smoke

Does that sound about right ?
What side is easier to do Driver or Passenger ?

I checked dipstick and cleared codes,(left hooked up to Edge ) this morning .
Ran 100 miles and not making oil or codes But still making white smoke .

I was looking at Lincoln,(Thanks Aaron) now I am looking at Pensacola ,($471 cheaper)
for injectors . I called and grilled them and they claim Bosch factory rebuilt fail rate at 3% and theirs is 4%. Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Do some research about Pensacola injectors before deciding. You may regret it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everyone has a strong opinion about injector source.
I have decided against Pensacola injectors .
Right now I can barely afford to do this once definitely not twice .
Glow plugs work fine for now .
As I said earlier. Truck runs good with no strange engine noise.
Should I not do compression test ?
Should i not do valve adjustment ?
Save time/money

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Your issues are so common with injector failure that I can say its just your injectors causing the smoke. You can smell the smoke and if it is fuel it will smell like raw diesel and burn your eyes. You can have your oil analized by Blackstone Labs. Go to their website and buy the oil kit. They send it to you, you get the sample in the kit and send it back to them for testing. They can tell you exactly whats in your oil. Bearing material, coolant, fuel, ect. It will give you more peace of mind than a compression test. And its only 35 bucks or so.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Everyone has a strong opinion about injector source.
I have decided against Pensacola injectors .
LDS gets alot of support from the forum. But its not because we are the "popular" choice. MA and Exergy are far more popular. We have forum members mentioning us because we have competetive pricing on really good injectors and we really try to help people whether they buy parts from us or not. But for those that do become customers, we have their back with any issue they may have with parts from us. Hassle free service is worth alot to most people.

I think we all (everyone who posted in this thread) just want you to be happy with your truck, no matter who you buy parts from.

If you dont have fuel in the oil and smoke is the only symptom, you can probably get by a few more months to save more.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Oil analysis is what I always go to when I pick up an engine. They can tell you so much for so little money. I would certainly do the valve check/adjust while your in there. You should also Google fuel line corrosion if your not familiar. Don't put corroded lines back on your new injectors!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.