Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some wheels for my Duramax. I have been looking at the Moto Metal 951 Chrome. I have only cranked the torsion bars on my truck so i'm not really sure if i can clear 18s. I was looking for 16x9. Anybody have these or anything comparable let me know.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Your rim size doesnt really have much to do with what you can clear. In almost every case you can run a 285 tire with no problems. I myself am running a 305 55 tire with very minimal trimming. I think 18s and 285s look really good if thats what you choose to go with.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aren't 285's for an 18 inch wheel a little bigger than for a 16? I just like more tire on my wheel is what i was shooting for. If i got a bigger wheel i would need bigger tires for them to look proportional.

·
Registered
532 Posts
285s are the same diameter no matter what. You will have less sidewall with a 18 inch rim then if you chose a 16 inch rim. That however is all personal preference. I have 305s and a 20 inch rim

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
That's not true. 285's are all the same WIDTH... the second number will relate to the height of the tire.

a 285/75 will be a taller tire than a 285/70, which will be taller than a 285/65 and so on. Most guys can get away with running a 285/70 without any rubbing on a stock height truck with stock rims, and some aftermarket rims depending on the spacing. Taller than 285/70 usually requires some trimming or modification.

·
Registered
73 Posts
TMX864,...what kind of wheels are those?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Pro Comp Xtreme alloys Series 5836 to be exact lol

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
I have the 957's in 18" black and chrome

1 - 8 of 8 Posts