Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
06 Duramax LBZ Dually- mods to come
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,
Hoping you can check my thinking on some first mods for my 2006 LBZ dually. I'm pretty new to this, so any help is appreciated!

I am not looking to make any major power increases. Just want to increase response and MPG's if possible without spending a fortune.
I like the truck as is in stock form, but want to pull a 5th wheel on occasion. Just wanting MILD upgrades for performance and MPG's with reliability in mind.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Edge Evolution CTS2
(Only looking to stay in mode 1 or 2 for trans safe reliability. Liking the screen with gauges to monitor EGT's, Boost, etc. Do I need a separate probe for EGT's to read?)

Remove cat or muffler and run straight pipe.
(Some have said the cat is best to remove. Others say muffler. Thoughts? I don't want it super loud, but whatever will breathe best. I know many talk about replacing the entire exhaust. Not sure the cost is worth it for what I'm doing...)

EGR Block/Delete
(Any specific kits best? Do you need to retune after installing? Will this work with the Edge CTS2?)

PPE Airbox mod to stock airbox

Any other mods or considerations I'm missing? I take it I don't need a lift pump at the lower levels? PCV reroute?

Also considering servicing the Allison trans. Thoughts on the Trans Go kit? Transynd Synthetic fluid?

Thanks again!!!

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Don't know if Edge ever fixed the problem with their EGT probes, they used to be notoriously prone to failure. I have analog ISSPRO EGT, boost and pressure, never had a single issue in 12 years and 100K miles, gauges are always there at eye level. Can't tell you much about the Evolution, I opted for EFI Live, been working good for me for about 10 years, but it's hard to find anybody doing real tuning these days...CAT & EGR delete will, of course, will render your truck non compliant if you live in an area that does EPA testing. EGR delete usually requires retuning or a "finger stick", hard to find this stuff any more. Stock airbox on these trucks is good for the modest amount of power you're going to be making. Biggest fuel mileage gains depend on how much stop and go driving you do and how you use your right foot. A canopy or louvred tailgate will get you an extra half mpg or so when not towing. Lift pump is good if it has the extra filters and it will help keep the CP3 properly fed. Mike at Inglewood Transmission can tell you everything you need to know about keeping the Allison happy.

Reactions: DPGDirk and d9er

·
Premium Member
10,425 Posts
Lift pump and filter setup should be one of the first mods to these trucks. JMO

·
Registered
138 Posts
Lift pump, exhaust, egr block. Will need a fingerstick to block the CEL.

Reactions: DPGDirk

·
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
1,869 Posts
Please refrain from any conversation regarding altering or removing emissions control devices. We can no longer discuss those types of procedures on the open forums.

I don't want to close the thread because there are other good questions and discussions around mods to the truck that don't involve deletion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please refrain from any conversation regarding altering or removing emissions control devices. We can no longer discuss those types of procedures on the open forums.

I don't want to close the thread because there are other good questions and discussions around mods to the truck that don't involve deletion.
Thanks. I didn't know that...

·
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
1,869 Posts
Thanks. I didn't know that...
No worries. The EPA has turned into the Gestapo and is actively seeking out small businesses that do or have performed deletions or sold the parts to make it possible. The rumor is that some of the settlements include turning over customer records. What's more is that the EPA has used DuramaxForum members' posts in a recent lawsuit against EZLynk, so they are actively cruising through these forums gathering info. We're just trying to protect our members and this forum. I won't be surprised when someone is subpoenaed in a court case regarding their posts on one of the forums.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
514 Posts
A Fass or Airdog lift pump should be #1 on the list. Yes Edge makes some great stuff but i would opt for EFI-Live on tuning for the versatility. A 4 or 5 inch exhaust with muffler if you want it quieter would also be recommended.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The more I learn, the more frustrating it gets. Looked at the FASS pumps. They have at least 2 different styles and 4 different GPH flow rates.

·
Registered
138 Posts
100 gph is plenty. Airdog and fass are comparable.

I got the airdog II-4G 100gph, which has a pass through design in case the pump stops working. Apparently it’s more efficient and less prone to failure than the airdog I or II.

Kennedy also sells a 95gph one for a little cheaper.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
514 Posts
Yes 100gph is good for the modest tuned stock trucks. One thing i would make sure is to get one with the dual filters. The stock filter is a real pain to change and does not filter as fine as the lift pump ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Might just go with Kennedy Diesel for lift pump, exhaust and ECM tune and just call it good...

Liked the idea of the Edge screen with the gauges built in, but guess I can just do separate gauges. Not sure what the options are there or if I need to do an A-Pillar set up.

I know I want to monitor boost and EGT, but don't remember what else (if anything) I need to monitor that isn't already in my dash cluster...?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I’m a big fan of the digital dashes. Down the road you can get an edge insight which is agnostic to tuning.

I have the cts3 and I like to monitor all my temps (EGT, oil, trans, coolant) on one screen, as well as boost, rail pressure, MAF, and load. After using it for some time, I get a baseline of healthy behavior for my truck and can quickly pick up on potential issues. I also know when all fluids are properly warmed up before I increase the load on the engine.

The coolant temp on the standard dash is usually off a bit. If you want to monitor egts and oil temp you’ll likely need to install your own probes.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
514 Posts
I would get the Edge CTS3 Insight with their EGT probe kit that works in line with the CTS. I have the older CTS2 and really like it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reading reviews on the Insight CTS-3 and they are mixed. Looks like the screen is nicer, but multiple people are having trouble with it...

I think I also like the idea of having all those functions on one screen.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
The CTS3 is good but has a few bugs yet worked out. In my experience it won’t turn on if you remote start the truck. Touch the screen and it comes alive. There’s been a few instances where it freezes or randomly pops up different screens. I unplug and plug it back in and it’s back to normal. The idash is also popular for a monitor but I have no personal experience with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like the CS-2 has much better reviews than the CTS-3 for reliable function.
I really like the newer CTS-3, but I also really don't like glitchy electronics. My luck, I'd get the really bad one!

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
I don’t want a screen on my dash and literally all I would use a monitor for is for watching egt and engine oil temp. So, I’ll just put those two gauges in an a-pillar mount one of these days.

I would like to try Kennedy’s programming one of these days as well. Other than that, mine will remain completely stock. It’s made it 216,00+ that way just fine I figure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a cts3 and like it..In my experience it is less glitchy then the 2.Also it is updateable with wifi so if there's a software problem eventually they will probably fix it with an update..the touch screen is awesome,none of this insensitive screen business like the older ones..

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts