Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
I kinda like my I Dash.

Reactions: DPGDirk

·
Registered
555 Posts
I would lean toward the Banks as they monitor the transmission and tc, power is one thing but the vast majority of issues and complaints come from people running tuners. The ONLY reason that I run a tuner is fuel economy and i don't drive with a heavy foot. If you do decide on a tuner, never tow anything with it unless it is the banks unit designed for towing.

·
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
1,869 Posts
I would lean toward the Banks as they monitor the transmission and tc, power is one thing but the vast majority of issues and complaints come from people running tuners. The ONLY reason that I run a tuner is fuel economy and i don't drive with a heavy foot. If you do decide on a tuner, never tow anything with it unless it is the banks unit designed for towing.
While I agree that Banks makes a good product, you're not giving good advice; you're just shilling a brand name. EDGE monitors transmission and TC as well, and there are other scanners available that will also monitor those things.

There are also other tuners that make reliable power for towing that won't smoke your transmission. DuramaxTuner is one such product that many folks have had good experiences with.

A better way to say it would be "Make sure whatever tune you decide on is intended to be used for a towing vehicle, and don't try to tow on a max effort tune as it is going to kill your transmission."

It's fine to say "I've had good experience using brand XYZ and can recommend their product", but don't tell a newcomer that is the only good option. Too many people take what's in these forums as gospel without doing any other research on their own then get mad when their experience is different than what someone else posted.

·
Premium Member
4,939 Posts
Hi Guys,
Hoping you can check my thinking on some first mods for my 2006 LBZ dually. I'm pretty new to this, so any help is appreciated!

I am not looking to make any major power increases. Just want to increase response and MPG's if possible without spending a fortune.
I like the truck as is in stock form, but want to pull a 5th wheel on occasion. Just wanting MILD upgrades for performance and MPG's with reliability in mind.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Edge Evolution CTS2
(Only looking to stay in mode 1 or 2 for trans safe reliability. Liking the screen with gauges to monitor EGT's, Boost, etc. Do I need a separate probe for EGT's to read?)

Yes you don't have any egt probes on yoru engine

Remove cat or muffler and run straight pipe.
(Some have said the cat is best to remove. Others say muffler. Thoughts? I don't want it super loud, but whatever will breathe best. I know many talk about replacing the entire exhaust. Not sure the cost is worth it for what I'm doing...)
Leave teh CAT,it does not obstruct the flow and without it your exhaust will STINK!

EGR Block/Delete
(Any specific kits best? Do you need to retune after installing? Will this work with the Edge CTS2?)
Blocking is the cheapest but you will need a tune for this unlawful act.

PPE Airbox mod to stock airbox The stockairbox does a better job thanany aftermarket mods.

Any other mods or considerations I'm missing? I take it I don't need a lift pump at the lower levels? PCV reroute?
Check the 1/2" braided fuel hose on the drivers side below the driver and at the left rear of the engine (drivers side) at the top. Those hoses get soft with age and collapse when you are pulling hard. Replace with 1/2" bil compatible diesel fuel hose.

Here is a thread abou that fix.

Lastly here is a thread I wrote for new owners, read, learn and enjoy....Maintain before you Mod!:

Also considering servicing the Allison trans. Thoughts on the Trans Go kit? Transynd Synthetic fluid?
Do the double drain method using TES 295 approved fluid: Forget the Trans Go

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Head studs if you’re doing a block plate.
Bigger turbo and tuning
Injectors
Down pipe
Driver side exhaust manifold
Exhaust system

·
Registered
555 Posts
While I agree that Banks makes a good product, you're not giving good advice; you're just shilling a brand name. EDGE monitors transmission and TC as well, and there are other scanners available that will also monitor those things.

There are also other tuners that make reliable power for towing that won't smoke your transmission. DuramaxTuner is one such product that many folks have had good experiences with.

A better way to say it would be "Make sure whatever tune you decide on is intended to be used for a towing vehicle, and don't try to tow on a max effort tune as it is going to kill your transmission."

It's fine to say "I've had good experience using brand XYZ and can recommend their product", but don't tell a newcomer that is the only good option. Too many people take what's in these forums as gospel without doing any other research on their own then get mad when their experience is different than what someone else posted.
I merely stated that Banks is the tuner that I would LEAN TOWARDS, I did not nor would I ever say that Banks is the only tuner. Edge is not without their problems, most of the complaints on this forum concerning tuners that I have read have mostly been about Edge and some Bully Dog, I can't say that I have ever seen a complaint about Banks or EFI Live on here, not saying there may not have been, I just haven't seen any and my experience with banks has been stellar. I'm sure others will recommend what they run.
The most important feature that should be on ANY tuner that anyone purchases is a feature that monitors the trans and tc, especially if you plan on doing any towing. We have seen too many kids with their "new" truck pull in our shop with a burned tc and transmission all because they did not do their research, they read on some forum that a tuner would give them more power not realizing the consequences of their unresearched purchase all because 'everyone else is doing it'. Most of those tuners were Edge tuners with a few Bully Dog thrown in. We have never had a Banks or EFI LIve equipped vehicle in our shop for a tuner related problem. This is why I LEAN towards Banks, they have been around for a long time and their products are top quality.

·
Registered
06 Duramax LBZ Dually- mods to come
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks everyone!

Some more questions.
Trans temp and TC? What is "TC?" Told you I was a newbie!

Lot's of varying opinions, which I am not surprised about.

On the Allison trans- What is a "double drain?" Fill, run, drain, repeat?

What's wrong with the Trans Go kit?
My understanding is the Trans Go kit helps keep the trans from slipping when towing heavy loads.
Am I missing something? Seems the only negative reviews are from those who messed up the install. Most love it.
Pro's & Cons? Some detailed input would be great!

Head studs with a block plate? Assuming you're talking about EGR?
Bigger turbo and injectors?
No one has said anything about that yet. Again, I'm leaning towards a ECM swap through Kennedy Diesel and a mild tow tune. (40-90HP?)
I'm assuming head studs, bigger turbo and injectors aren't that critical for a mild build, right?

As for exhaust- I really don't know whether to remove just the muffler and run straight pipe or swap the entire exhaust. Again- with a mild tow tune, will a full exhaust replacement really make that big of a difference?

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
TC = torque converter
Double drain is changing the fluid and filter twice to get all new fluid throughout the system. Unnecessary IMO but some people like to do it.
As for the rest I think you’re getting in a bit over your head for the time being. Since it sounds like you recently bought the truck I’d recommend changing all the fluids and filters. Then just drive it for a while until you learn more about it. Make sure the truck is in good health before you start tinkering.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
I seem to believe the one of the biggest factors for fuel economy is tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
TC = torque converter
Double drain is changing the fluid and filter twice to get all new fluid throughout the system. Unnecessary IMO but some people like to do it.
As for the rest I think you’re getting in a bit over your head for the time being. Since it sounds like you recently bought the truck I’d recommend changing all the fluids and filters. Then just drive it for a while until you learn more about it. Make sure the truck is in good health before you start tinkering.
So, we're talking torque converter temp?

I do plan to change the oil and the fuel filters this weekend, but I'm ready to do some mods- especially if it's just going to make the truck better.
Plan to get the trans serviced asap.

I bought the truck from friends, so I'm confident it's in great shape. Runs and drives nice and been well maintained.

If I can just get settled on exactly which mods, I'll be off and running!
The exhaust question is one of the big one's for me right now...

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
514 Posts
For exhaust i would go with a full Stainless Steel system to get rid of the tiny stock pipe. It’s just well plain tiny. It will equate to lower exhaust temps installing a turbo back system.

Reactions: BIOTEC and DPGDirk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
For exhaust i would go with a full Stainless Steel system to get rid of the tiny stock pipe. It’s just well plain tiny. It will equate to lower exhaust temps installing a turbo back system.
Thanks!
Kennedy has a 4" exhaust system. Thinking about running that since I'm looking at his pump and tune.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Seems like you’re ok with investing some money into this truck for reliability and longevity.

Before doing upgrades, I’d check the overall health of the truck and reset your maintenance cycle.

-Recommend changing all fluids/filters on the new purchase, including front and rear Diff, oil, trans (double tes295 $$$ or dexiii $), transfer case, and the fuel filter.
-Also check your front end. Ball joints boots are usually busted and leaking grease on these older trucks. Can wrap with some silicone tape for a temporary seal or get new UCAs/lower ball joints.
-Grease all the zirks too. Should be 10 or 11 down there.
-Bump stops could also need replacement.

Buy plenty of diesel additive for the ULSD. Optilube xpd is a popular choice as well as hotshots edt. Good for cp3 and injector longevity.

My top three upgrades to follow: lift pump, exhaust, and that illegal stuff we can’t talk about anymore.

You shouldn’t need a trans-go if you run the mild Kennedy tune. Can always install it for peace of mind or if you want more power later.
The monitors measure TFT - transmission fluid temperature, and TCC - torque converter clutch lockup. On the edge it’s displayed as a lock below the current gear.

If you don’t mind a little whistle, cabin noise, and diesel exhaust smell, I recommend the straight pipe. Its not overwhelming IMO and it really wakes the truck up.

If you don’t want that but still want more exhaust flow, you can do a 3” downpipe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Seems like you’re ok with investing some money into this truck for reliability and longevity.

Before doing upgrades, I’d check the overall health of the truck and reset your maintenance cycle.

-Recommend changing all fluids/filters on the new purchase, including front and rear Diff, oil, trans (double tes295 $$$ or dexiii $), transfer case, and the fuel filter.
-Also check your front end. Ball joints boots are usually busted and leaking grease on these older trucks. Can wrap with some silicone tape for a temporary seal or get new UCAs/lower ball joints.
-Grease all the zirks too. Should be 10 or 11 down there.
-Bump stops could also need replacement.

Buy plenty of diesel additive for the ULSD. Optilube xpd is a popular choice as well as hotshots edt. Good for cp3 and injector longevity.

My top three upgrades to follow: lift pump, exhaust, and that illegal stuff we can’t talk about anymore.

You shouldn’t need a trans-go if you run the mild Kennedy tune. Can always install it for peace of mind or if you want more power later.
The monitors measure TFT - transmission fluid temperature, and TCC - torque converter clutch lockup. On the edge it’s displayed as a lock below the current gear.

If you don’t mind a little whistle, cabin noise, and diesel exhaust smell, I recommend the straight pipe. Its not overwhelming IMO and it really wakes the truck up.

If you don’t want that but still want more exhaust flow, you can do a 3” downpipe.
Thanks for the details!
Definitely planning a bunch of maintenance right away.

If a straight pipe exhaust makes the best power and lowers EGT's, that sounds like the way to go.
I don't mind the noise outside, as long as it's fairly quiet inside for a long trip.

Mine is 2WD, so won't need to worry about front diff, t-case, etc...

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Thanks for the details!
Definitely planning a bunch of maintenance right away.

If a straight pipe exhaust makes the best power and lowers EGT's, that sounds like the way to go.
I don't mind the noise outside, as long as it's fairly quiet inside for a long trip.

Mine is 2WD, so won't need to worry about front diff, t-case, etc...
if you’re going to run Kennedy’s tune, I would get his advice on any other mods you may be thinking about BEFORE doing those mods. In my experiences, you can literally leave the rest of the truck 100% stock with any tune of 100 or less HP. Exhaust is just extra noise (inside and out) below big power levels. I have never seen any measurable lower egts from a down pipe or full exhaust over what you currently have. Same with air intake systems because most aftermarket air intake systems still let more under hood heat in than the factory intake system which absolutely KILLS power.

Seriously, talk to John (Kennedy) before you buy any other mods.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
if you’re going to run Kennedy’s tune, I would get his advice on any other mods you may be thinking about BEFORE doing those mods. In my experiences, you can literally leave the rest of the truck 100% stock with any tune of 100 or less HP. Exhaust is just extra noise (inside and out) below big power levels. I have never seen any measurable lower egts from a down pipe or full exhaust over what you currently have. Same with air intake systems because most aftermarket air intake systems still let more under hood heat in than the factory intake system which absolutely KILLS power.

Seriously, talk to John (Kennedy) before you buy any other mods.
Thanks! JK is recommending his exhaust as well.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thanks everyone!

Some more questions.
Trans temp and TC? What is "TC?" Told you I was a newbie!

Lot's of varying opinions, which I am not surprised about.

Head studs with a block plate? Assuming you're talking about EGR?
Bigger turbo and injectors?
No one has said anything about that yet. Again, I'm leaning towards a ECM swap through Kennedy Diesel and a mild tow tune. (40-90HP?)
I'm assuming head studs, bigger turbo and injectors aren't that critical for a mild build
I could give you a 4 page dissertation on this but I'll just try to keep it simple
.If you are thinking about a bigger turbo and bigger injectors, the first thing you should consider is a "built transmission" from someone like Suncoast. Just remember that the more you modify for power, the more your reliability goes down. This forum is full of posts from those with engine issues and the first question asked is "are you running a tuner"
A stock truck is the most reliable. When someone says they just want a mild tune, usually one thing leads to another.
If you are someone who is truly disciplined and you don't have visions of smoking your tires and just wants a 40hp tune, then you don't need studs, a bigger turbo, bigger injectors or even a 4" exhaust.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I could give you a 4 page dissertation on this but I'll just try to keep it simple
.If you are thinking about a bigger turbo and bigger injectors, the first thing you should consider is a "built transmission" from someone like Suncoast. Just remember that the more you modify for power, the more your reliability goes down. This forum is full of posts from those with engine issues and the first question asked is "are you running a tuner"
A stock truck is the most reliable. When someone says they just want a mild tune, usually one thing leads to another.
If you are someone who is truly disciplined and you don't have visions of smoking your tires and just wants a 40hp tune, then you don't need studs, a bigger turbo, bigger injectors or even a 4" exhaust.
Thanks.
I'm almost 60 now and while I'm happy to have better power and response, I also know I don't need a hotrod that is more prone to breaking down.

I think I'm pretty settled on Kennedy's tow tune, an edge unit for gauges/monitoring and a lift pump. These things seem to be pretty basic for better response, improved MPG's and even reliability.

I am still confused on the exhaust, as I'm getting conflicting information as to whether it will really help or not. If it gives more power, I would have to assume that it's only because the truck is breathing better. That tells me it's therefore more efficient, which I would think would also equate to potentially better MPG's. Whether all that is true (or to what degree) with a mild tune seems to be up for debate.
If it helps, (even a little bit) I'm good with it. If all it's going to do is make more noise, with absolutely NO improvement in power or efficiency, I really don't care to do it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks.
I'm almost 60 now and while I'm happy to have better power and response, I also know I don't need a hotrod that is more prone to breaking down.

I think I'm pretty settled on Kennedy's tow tune, an edge unit for gauges/monitoring and a lift pump. These things seem to be pretty basic for better response, improved MPG's and even reliability.

I am still confused on the exhaust, as I'm getting conflicting information as to whether it will really help or not. If it gives more power, I would have to assume that it's only because the truck is breathing better. That tells me it's therefore more efficient, which I would think would also equate to potentially better MPG's. Whether all that is true (or to what degree) with a mild tune seems to be up for debate.
If it helps, (even a little bit) I'm good with it. If all it's going to do is make more noise, with absolutely NO improvement in power or efficiency, I really don't care to do it.
You seem to have your list made before asking, imho.
Exhaust flow depends on intake flow. As @BIOTEC has repeatedly told you, one thing leads to another.
I've got a bone stock 06 LBZ/Allison and it delivers everything I need or want. It's been reliable within the OEM parameters needing the normal interventions in a 65k mile 15 year old truck.
Sometimes we do "improvements" just to do something.
Get your truck healthy with a maintenance reset and drive it for 6 months.
If it comes up short somewhere, come back and tell us about that issue.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts