Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home truck stumbles @ 40mph under no load, goes about 50 yards and shuts off completely. Checked codes had a CPS no signal, changed cps (checked relucter wheel also) cranks but no start. The truck has new bosh injectors, new fass fuel system, stock tune was running fine. Tried searching but not having any luck, have checked fuses, all OK. Sprayed starting fluid in intake it runs till gone.....guessing its fuel related just don't know where to start trouble shooting....ficm check ? ECM ? HELP

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would stop with the starting fluid. Did you check for voltage at CKP sensor and CMP sensor? What is the actual code?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
p0341 was the code, don't know the voltages to check.....after changing cps cleared codes and none is showing now

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
“... Sprayed starting fluid in intake it runs till gone...”

As Durtynuby implied, problems caused by using starting fluid can be catastrophic, but since you already found the engine to run we can learn from that experience. After you R&R’ed the CPS, did the engine seem to operate properly during its brief time on SF?

Also, please clarify your last post. I’m reading you changed the CPS, cleared the code and it has not returned during cranking, which would seem to indicate the original problem was a bad CPS, but now has become a crank/no start problem. Very strange one failure would immediately follow the other but since P0341 went away let’s assume that is fixed and now you have a fuel delivery problem.

I still have an OEM fuel system and being unfamiliar with Fass, will have to encourage others to weigh in. One simple thing however, would be to confirm fuel delivery to the filter.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
I would agree to check fuel delivery. Could be a fuse for the fass blown, they say there a straight through design but our trucks really dont think so. If that pumps not feeding, its not gonna start. You dont have a kill switch in your tune by chance that you accidently moved the switch to without noticing perhaps?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The engine (to me) did not run long enough for any codes to reset. I checked for fuel at the filter head, had plenty. Trying to locate a scan tool to check fuel rail pressure. Pump is running and I just ordered all filters to eliminate that as a cause (Fass filters) The truck has a stock computer with factory tune. Just a heads up on the spraying of starting fluid, I let the glow plugs cycle off before I gave a slight spray....I know it was not the smartest thing to do but was looking for some kinda life in the ole' girl.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you prime the fuel system?
The stock fuel filter has a mechanical pump on top that you can use to prime the system.
I left my stock filter on just so I had this easy prime ability.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sounds to me like your injectors are not firing for some reason. I would definitely go the route of obtaining a scanner where you can watch live data. Check fuel rail pressure, injector pulse width, crank signal, cam signal, and I dont remember if your injectors are under the valve covers or not but you could check with a noid light if it is pulsing. If not check for power or ground you will be missing one while cranking. Also I think with a decent scanner you can scan the fuel injection control module itself and check data there and codes also

1 - 8 of 8 Posts