Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,

I am currently shopping for a used Duramax/Allison. I have NO experience with Diesels and have a TON of questions about what to be looking for when shopping for a used truck. Currently I have my eye on an 04 with 147,000 miles. Carfaxed one owner CLEAN truck. Where should I post my questions about what I should be expecting for maintenance on a truck of this age? I'm looking forward to getting educated and into a new (to me) truck!

Thank You!

Tim

·
Registered
174 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Do you know if the truck is an LB7 or LLY? In 04.5 they changed from the LB7 to the LLY.

·
WOOD... man!
4,209 Posts

Ton of info here. Before posting questions do a quick search using the 'Search' drop down tag in the mid/upper section of the screen. Type in a few key words and you'll probably find questions that have already been asked.

If not, you can try to find specific sections to post questions or, like a lot of people, post them up in the 'General' discussions section. Good luck on your hunt. I feel your pain!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's an LLY. I guess that's one of my questions. I see people specifically listing LB7 in listings. I assume that is the preferred motor? I will play with the search functions and do as much research as I can.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The LB7 is very prone to injector problems, not too familiar with the LLY but i havent heard too much bad about it except for head gaskets. Some got different gaskets that others and I'm pretty sure that there is some way to tell which you have but I cant remember. When you go to look at it, squeeze the upper radiator hose. If it is hard and you cant pinch it shut there are definite head gasket issues.

·
Registered
132 Posts
All of the Duramax motors are great some Better than others. Some guys are partial to the LLY'S OR LBZ and so on. Personally I would get the LLY or better yet the LBZ motor.

·
Premium Member
10,442 Posts
Welcome to the DF!

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Welcome

·
Super Genius
1,303 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
welcome, almost from Iowa or almost a Newbie... Lol

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
People like lb7's since they have no emissions at all on them but they are prone to injectors. Love my lb7 and I owned a lbz fantastic truck very strong motor. Can't go wrong either way just keep in mine with lb7's injectors will go out its just the way it is. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Almost a newbie. Originally from Michigan. Currently looking at an 04 w/ 147k and an 06 w/ 97k. Thanks for the suggestions! I look forward to becoming an owner and active on here!

·
WOOD... man!
4,209 Posts
Almost a newbie. Originally from Michigan. Currently looking at an 04 w/ 147k and an 06 w/ 97k. Thanks for the suggestions! I look forward to becoming an owner and active on here!
Knowing what I know now, go with the 06 (LBZ engine). I knew nothing about these engines when looking for a truck and just happened that I ended up with an 06. Haven't had it long but very pleased to far.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts