Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm negotiating for a 5th wheel toy hauler. Dry weight is 9126lbs and the GVWR is 13875lbs. I have a budget of + or - $30,000 for the truck. I want an extended cab, 4X4, automatic and preferably a short bed as I also want the truck as a daily driver. I don't want to do any mods until after some running time. Looking at the used market - I can get up to a 2008 for around $30K. It looks like the 2007 - 08 have the most pulling power and are supposedly quieter and better built? Some say the GMC is a better choice than the Chevy? I had a '99 Silverado (gas) and was not impressed with the finish and plastic interior. The less noise the better - I work on large diesels for a living and I don't like listening to them unless someone is paying me!
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
833 Posts
i think you would be happy with a 06 or a 07 with a LBZ duramax in it. for 30k you will pry be looking at a 06 or else it will have quite a few miles on it

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I would never tow a fifth wheel with a short bed. That's me though. I do agree with the years you listed. Just stay pre DPF.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome and input. I thought I would have to go with the long bed until I watched this video:

Are there any handling problems with a short bed other than maneuvering in tight spaces?

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
I went with an 06 cause I wanted the 6-speed for sure, and DEFINITELY did NOT want that damn DPF. 06 and early 07 as said before, the LBZ (or LLY, if it's 06 NOT 05 the LLY is the same block as the LBZ just different tune) is a good reliable engine, nice and powerful too. I am VERY happy with mine, bought with 88K on the clock. OH, and it'd pretty darn quiet too (not for too long:D) even honking on it I don't need to crank the radio at all. Lastly, the interior is not bad at all. I won't compare it to a Mercedes, but it's just fine, 'cept I gotta fucking clean it already:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just found a local 2005 GMC 2500 ext cab 4X4 with 54,000 mi on it for $23,000. I'm a little confused about the different engines. Is the LLY IN '05 a LB7 engine or the newer one? If it is the LB7 should I stay away from it or are there mods to put it right?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Its not an LB7 if its an 05. Not much difference really, the heads and injectors are different and the tuning is pretty much the big differences in all the engines. So no its not an LB7 or a newer engine, it is what it is, an LLY. The 04.5 and 05 LLY is not the same LLY that is in an 06 if thats what you are asking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks jessman 388. What I really want to know - is it a good dependable engine or is a problematic year?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Yep its a good year. Some people say they have a tendency to overheat but I dont think thats all of them. My buddy has an 05 LLY crew cab short bed and he only uses it for towing and it doesnt get hot. He really likes it and its a pretty quiet truck running down the road even with 4" exhaust on it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
you should be able to get a pretty nice 2006-07 with that budget. I gave $30k for an 06 with 39000 miles in April, and I am in California

·
Registered
2,500 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
An LBZ would be a good choice.

A friend of mine just picked up an 07 GMC classic SLT CC/SB 4x4 with 23,000 miles for 31K.

The deals are out there you just need to have patience.

·
Registered
211 Posts
1. the 06's and 07's that have the LBZ engine will have a "D" as the 8 character of the VIN, be advised, early 06's were still considered LLY engines (8th digit is a "2")and aren't tuned up like the later 06's with the "D"

read this:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66077

while you are at it, spend some time reading about the LLY

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40

1. I just found an 06 ext cab, but a long bed, 3500HD 4x4 with 9000 yes 9000 miles, always garaged, never in snow or salt, for $32,000

2. it is a crap shoot on whether you are going to get a mildly overheating LLY, a medium or a bad one. it will cost a 1000.00 or so to fix the issue, that $1000.00 is better spent towards an 06. I own a LLY and have gone through the heat issues and have an auxilliary radiator, different tranny cooler, turbo mouthpiece and all the parts needed to get them to run as cool as an 06 almost does. you can overheat an 06, it is just harder to do so.

3. the 06's have the 6 spd Allison tranny and it has some internal changes that make it easier to add a shift kit to increase the durability without pulling the tranny and doing work inside. you can simply add a part into the valve body to make the upgrades. plus the 6 speed itself and the 06's had the tapshifter

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Spend about $10k on a truck and $20k in performance parts and motor build and you'll never have to worry about 5th wheel slowing you down! Oh yeah I would get a Crew Cab there is so much room in the back of those you wont regret your decision.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone!
David - Sounds like you scored on the 3500HD! After reading the links you sent, I think I'll hold out for one of the LBZ engine models. Is there an way to tell by looking at the engine externally if it's a LBZ? (besides the "D" in the vin#)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I found that truck for the bro-in-law. It still smells brand new. The tires barely have the mould-tits worn off.

We have an 04.5, as I said, we have one of the LLY's. In our case, it only now has 61,000 miles and we bought it new for $35,000 and it's paid for, otherwise we would be looking for an LBZ.

Without a person being very familiar with the different engines, the best bet is always the 8th digit of the VIN. That will hold true across every generation of the Duramax.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
05 = 5 speed. 06= 6 speed. stronger tranny and get a tad better fuel mileage when not towing. I tow and mine doesn't overheat but wished i had an 06

·
Registered
833 Posts
i just towed a 4890 john deere swather today and my eng temp went passed 210 for awhile but.... i was in 4wd and in about 8 inches of serious mud and it took alot to pull up hills lol. really showed me what my pickup was made of

1 - 20 of 24 Posts