Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at a 2004 duramax and i had a couple questions since im not familiar with the truck. i was wondering how strong the tranny is in the truck for modding? a buddy of mine has a CTD and has told me that the allison is not that mod friendly. to give you an idea of what mods id want to do- id be looking to do an intake, exhaust and a chip. anything else would be maybe a small lift, guages and tires. i drive 40 miles round trip a day, about 1900 miles a month. how reliable are they? whats your mpg in these things? how does it hold up to modding? around my way there is a duramax that runs low 14s and he has st acked chips and what not, but i dunno what else he has done. its either a duramax or a ctd in my future so im doing my homework on the duramax. powerjoke isnt getting my business.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Allison is more mod friendly that the CTD trannys are. They really hold up well. You can do some pretty decent modding and still have a tranny that will hold it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
the new CTD tranny are holding up alot better than say mine, in my book the allison blows the 47re and 48re (ctd trannys) away, Ive heard differnt specs on what the allison will hold hp wise but it sounds like 400hp and you need to get in the tranny alil, a nice shift kit will pump it right up, even with the mild mods your doing a shift kit would be a good move. :thumbsup

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
The basic rule of hp on an stock ally is no more than 90 extra wheel hp to be safe, some guys run much more than that with out issue, other have issues at 90 hp! which this woill put u in the high 300 rwhp range and honestly if you want more than that you need to add a couple more things like a lift pump, and a fuel valve shim kit! but nothing major!!

I have 30 k on my 05 right now, its been modded over 400 rwhp since about 4k, and no real issues yet other than the pos dual mass flywheel!!!

Later
Caleb

·
Registered
352 Posts
is that with stock trans Caleb?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have heard that the Allison trannies hold up pretty well much better than the Dodge autos, but they all have their limits.

Oh, and what's the deal with calling the PSD a powerjoke? That's really not necessary.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have heard that the Allison trannies hold up pretty well much better than the Dodge autos, but they all have their limits.

Oh, and what's the deal with calling the PSD a powerjoke? That's really not necessary.
You will get alot of :poke on any forum it is usually in good fun.....Powerjoke, Maxipad, Goat, etc. Makes for good reading sometimes. :popcorn

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yeah trans is bone stock other than the clutch and flywheel but there arent any heavier parts out there for the zf trans anyway!!!
o oops didnt see you had a stick

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah I know, but it's kind of old....powerjoke, dura-whatever. His use of powerjoke wasn't really a "poke" though.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I thought it was a FLOWERSTROKE !:rof

·
Registered
269 Posts
I haven't heard that one yet, lol!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Nice thing about the allison trans is you don't have to buy shafts. Shafts are the weak link in the Dodge. Abou half your price is in shafts. You can get a nicely built full race Allison from NADP for a really decent price. We sell alot of their Dodge transmissions and they are pretty good units. I have a customer with 2 duramaxes, an 05 and an 06. The 05 has had an Edge Juice/attitude onit for about 28K miles and that truck gets used! No issues. The 06 has the new predator on it and no issues yet. Boy that new 6 speed is SWEEEEET!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Nice thing about the allison trans is you don't have to buy shafts. Shafts are the weak link in the Dodge. Abou half your price is in shafts. You can get a nicely built full race Allison from NADP for a really decent price. We sell alot of their Dodge transmissions and they are pretty good units. I have a customer with 2 duramaxes, an 05 and an 06. The 05 has had an Edge Juice/attitude onit for about 28K miles and that truck gets used! No issues. The 06 has the new predator on it and no issues yet. Boy that new 6 speed is SWEEEEET!
Shafts are braking on a regular basis on high powered Duramaxes and the hardened shafts are coming pretty soon. I will have them shortly. This is not a plug for me, just some important info. There is not one hardened part in an Allison. Input and output shafts are done inhouse at Allison. Just thought you guys would like to know. :D
mike

·
Registered
269 Posts
Although I can't "see" a shaft break, all the carnage I saw at scheids was driveshafts or engine related.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Shafts are braking on a regular basis on high powered Duramaxes and the hardened shafts are coming pretty soon. I will have them shortly. This is not a plug for me, just some important info. There is not one hardened part in an Allison. Input and output shafts are done inhouse at Allison. Just thought you guys would like to know. :D
mike
I'm sure Casper will be getting some of those from you :D Probably when you tear him down after TX :peelout

·
Registered
25 Posts
so say i get a intake,turbo-back & tuner. reading on kennedydiesel 110/120 tune should be as far as u go, before trans mods & i believe thats even on a fine line. would if i would go efi live. i would probably go over the safty zone? stacking be better? once i go past that point?

so at that time get a shift kit also before going crazy. what would a bigger trans cooler do? anyone try that?

probably wouldnt circulate fast enough to do much more or help from heat damage.?.

i understand its the convertor that is the start of most problems. it just cant hold the trq. slips-heats-boom.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
EFi live is a tuner you use with a laptop computer it can be as big a tune or as little a tune as you can make your self it is by far the best tuning avaliabe but you can really mess stuff up with it if you not carfull. the thing with efi live i or anyone else with efi live can write you a tune, email it to you and you can run it! its a ll custome tuning. but guys like kennedy are using it to write tunes load them into ecms and then locking the ecm and selling them. i do not agree with this as alot of others dont either! Lot of guys hav egood luck with just a trans go kit and and a converter but it just depends on how much power you want!

IMO the best bang for the buck lly tuner is a Diablo sport predator ver 2.02 for about 400 buck you can get good power higher boost, and the ability to turn off the erg! i have no experience with lb7 tuners or even lbz,!

AS for the trany stuff i would ask Mike L hes the man on that stuff!

Hope this helps.
Caleb

·
Registered
25 Posts
yes it does,thanks!!

i knew the efi live would take a labtop. & from my other car stuff like ecm flashing & trading/getting tunes via email was not uncommon. but my car & the diesels are 2 different breeds. BUT they do have something in common..... the both make BOOST. well,mine did.

the gentlemen i talked to at the pull said it was user friendly(unless i took it wrong)but you could go way deeper into it. & from what read a intake really isnt needed unless i go big--like a bid race tune.?.

well i still have sometime so ill just keep suckng more info in
& get other first hand thought! thanks again

1 - 20 of 26 Posts