Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

NEWBIE! Intake, DFP, Tuner, lots to learn, lots to read.

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Buckem 
#1 ·
I just purchased a NBS 07 LMM. Well actually I just bought the truck, havent even received it yet. Hopefully it will be delivered by weeks end. I have had several of the NBS Tahoes, Denalis, Silverados, Escalades, etc. This will be my first diesel. I cant wait to mod it up. I am a forum member and moderator at chevrolet forum and so far this site seems very informative. There is a ton of information on the site. I just joined today and have read, and read, and now everything seems more of a blur than before I started.

If anyone has some extra minutes to direct me to good articles, hands on experience, or recommendations for parts and or part numbers I would greatly appreciate it. I dont mind reading however a lot of info is opinion. I would like to know what works, worth the bang for your buck, etc. I dont know a lot about diesel engines, nor modifications but am a quick learner and love to work on my own vehicles. I also have a cousing who is going to help get me started with the work, he is a certifed diesel mechanic who just recently graduated from a diesel mechanic school. I just need to get the parts and goods and get together with him. Below is what I would like to start with.

Programmer/Tuner (prefer one that is not plug and removed) I like the dash pod idea that remains on the dash or A-Pillar, not sure I am ready for the EFI yet guys.

CAI

DFP Delete (information on what all this entails would be great (trying to read up on this but there is a ton of information) Tuner needs to work with this, correct?

What is the EGR block or valve I am reading about?

Lastly, pretty simple and not really performance but a good priced front leveling kit.

Thats it for early starters unless someone has suggesstions of other mods to get better performance as well as Fuel Mileage.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the Forum. The vendors on here will be more than happy to help you any way they can. The DIY threads show lots of great things to do at home. I reccomend any vendor thats a supporter of this site. You might want to look into a Edge CTS programmer. I'm planning on buying one in the near future.

#3 ·
welcome to the forum for 1, the easiest way to get rid of the dpf is a turbo back exhaust for an 07 classic bodystyle, then probably an edge cts race since you want the gauges and everything in one shot, they are real good units, as far as the the egr blocker plate, it keeps the soot and exhaust gases from entering the intake, which causes soot build up in the intake which travels to threw heads to the valves and ect, the vendors on here have a great setup with dpf delete kits, anyother questions dont be a afraid to ask

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum!

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/07-5-lmm-duramax-powertrain/31826-great-lmm-debate.html
That is a good link to a thread on this site about the LMM

If you want a good module to tune the truck I would look into the Edge Evo it seems to be the big thing with all the 06+ trucks, alot better reputation that the Edge juice.

CAI is said to be unneeded till around 500hp, I got one, and S&B which will probably be the most popular on this site, its cheap around $280 and gets good reviews all around. The DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) can be deleted, but it will void your warrenty, I believe you can do it with the Edge Evo race and a turbo back system from some of the vendors, shop around most of them have package deals at a pretty good price. Your EGR is your Exhaust Gas Recirculation, it is stricly for emissions which recirculate your exhaust back through the intake and cylinders to be "re burned" and clean up the soot and smoke people think of when they thing of diesels. If you block your EGR it will keep your engine and your intake manifold alot cleaner, last alot longer, it keeps the soot from building up and caking on to the cylinder and manifold walls

#5 · (Edited)
You'll get a million opinions as to what you should do as far as mods go, but it's really all in what you want to accomplish. Most folks on here seem to discount the CAI unless you have already done many other mods as the intake on a LMM is plenty until you get into really high HP. I know you'll get a bunch of suggestions for tuners, so I won't jump in there as I am not an expert by any means. I chose EFI, even though I am a begginner, because I typically try to do something one time, get the best I possibly can, and "grow into it"!! I am no where near writing anything for myself yet, but I didn't want to change tuners later. That's just how I am, take it or leave it.

As far as DPF (not DFP), it stand for Diesel Particulate Filter and it is universally despised around these parts. Cutting it out will help your mileage, and likely your sound, but yes you will need a tuner to tell the ECM whats going on.

EGR block is just a metal plate that prevents exhaust gasses from being recirculated into your engine (another treehugger feature). There are some pretty funky pictures on here of what you'll look like after a few thousand miles if you don't block it.

As far as leveling or anything suspension related (or any mods, for that matter), talk to NorCal Nick (owner of Norcal Trucks). He's the man on that stuff and will treat you right.

#6 ·
Speaking of pictures^^^

let me show you some of my pictures, the the EGR was blocked with 45k miles on it, this is 45k miles of buildup, without a tuner. sorry for the crappy cell phone pics

#8 ·
Wow, Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like you have me on the right path. I have a lot of reading to do. Sorry for the DFP typo and not DPF. That was just a typo, I had read enough to get the acronym correct.

I think I am going to start with a DPF delete kit with EGR Blocker, and then a tuner that will tell the ECM whats going on. I just need to find the delete kit and tuner I am going to buy. Price is somewhat of an issue, not really and issue but as with anything I prefer the most bang for the buck. I wont really be doing any towing, just more a toy to play with and drive around as well as impress the friends.

Thanks again and I will continue trying to read up, however with all the information on the site it some times takes me round and round in circles about what I want, need, or what something is. Talk again soon with tons of questions to come I am sure.

#14 ·
Thanks for asking these questions. I'm in the same boat and thought I'd post to get a link to this thread. I'm leaning towards the Magnaflow but up in the air on tuners. Would like to have EGT gauges but I'm more into fuel mileage and hauling a camper, don't know if they're all that important in my application. Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.