Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,
Been looking at the used duramax trucks for some time now, one just turned up that I think that I could live with? I have never owned a diesel truck of any kind, seem to like the chevy styling a little more than the others and have heard good things about the duramax.
I found an 2001 with 158k and there asking 15k. Question is is there anything that I should look for or pay attention to and is this year of duramax a good year-like the fords people seem to prefer the 7.0 99-03 trucks?
Also what kind of mileage can I expect from this truck?

Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!:help

·
Registered
994 Posts
Welcome to the DF. First, I'm not sure but that sounds a little high for an '01. Second, injector failure was an issue for that model Duramax (LB7)
Check to see if they have been replaced under warrenty since it's not covered any more.

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
That does sound a little high. I have seen them selling for 10-12 with that kind of miles.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I paid 12,900 for mine and it had a brand new tranny in it! I would keep shopping or see what all has been done, make sure you get history of injectors!!! it is an expensive fix. TRUST ME!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Welcome to the Forum...

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's way to high of a price.. bought my 04 with 103k for 18.. Ford guys like those years because the 7.3 was way more reliable than the 6.0. As for Duramax I love my lb7 but would love a lbz any day. By any day I mean when I nice one isn't 30k haha.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Too many miles for that much money....Last May I paid $16,500 for an 05 with only 58K miles....new tires and an extended warranty....So far put on 15K trouble free miles...

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
its a little steep, bought my 04 lly with 72k miles on it for $15,995. It had a new clutch and tie rods put in, they did a good job servicing it and I thought it was a steal on my part..i would shop around if i were you because if you get a bad one, it can be a money pit, esp if you take out a loan for it..look on autotrader.com they have good trucks on there all the time..good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Welcome to the DF!! Looks like you are already getting your questions answered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all of the replys, After hearing about all of the issue with injectors on this vintage of truck I have decided to hold off and look for a newer version which posses another question. If any of you were out looking for a used model of these trucks which year/years of truck would you be looking for? I am looking to upgrade from a 79 ford but cannot afford a second payment for a tow vehicle that will most likely sit in the driveway most of the time, my daily driver is a Chevy colorado that I really don't want to get ride of.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
How much can you afford? When I was looking for a truck last year, I read all the posts regarding the injector problems on earlier DMAX's. I also read about problems relating to the 04.5-05 LLY motors regarding overheating issues. At that point I had my sight on an 06 which has a 6 spd Allison and very little issues. Upon shopping I found a great deal on an 05....$16,500 with 58K documented miles (dealer/carfax) with full maintenance records. I pull a boat or my toy hauler through the Calif/Arizona deserts in the summer months...temps usually over 110 degrees without any issues of over-heating. I have seen the video and under max load pulling a grade there are issues with over-heating, but I'm not ever going to be pulling max load. Even if you do you can purchase the solution ...If you have time read the post and the solution is listed as well. I'm planning on keeping my truck for many years, so the ChristoperV2 solution is on my list....

TX Chris V2 info - Page 6 - Diesel Place

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well at this point I have decided to just hang on to what I have until the Colorado is paid off and at that point be looking for a truck in that $16,000 range or cheaper. What year did the 6 speed come out?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts