Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Newbie question

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  DMaxTuner 
#1 ·
Sorry for such a newbie question, but I just recentlly bought my first Diesel and I was wandering what are all the different opinions on leaving your truck running for long periods of time. A friend "a truck driver" told me it was better to leave your truck running than to shut it off. He said that Diesels use very little fuel while idleing. Just wandering what everyones thoughts are.

I have a GMC 04.5 LLY if that matters.

#8 ·
I agree 100% with skeeterkilr.:thumbsup
Efilive can adjust your idle settings, and I believe you can also use the PTO input pin on your PCM to control your idle with a switch.
If you need to idle your truck and need this done, I can help you with it if you would like.

Anyway if you have any questions about it let me know

Thanks,
Josh

#3 ·
exactly...if you don't have manual high idle mod, I would just shut it down. the engine does not make enough heat to burn the fuel completely at idle. Big rigs are a different story though.

#7 ·
Well, being a POS and not taking care of it goes hand in hand. I have a friend that has a 7.3 and it does pretty good. There is no reason to let a vehicle idle (even for heat) until it is below 0.....that's why they call it camping. I have let my truck run almost all day on an occation or 2, but I activated the high idle during that time too (I wired a manual high idle on mine). The temp out that day was about -30F and I was running all over that day and couldn't plug the truck in. It is ok to let it idle for 15-20 min, but don't do it for hours unless it is cold outside. The new trucks have the auto high idle feature for those times anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.