Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
exactly...if you don't have manual high idle mod, I would just shut it down. the engine does not make enough heat to burn the fuel completely at idle. Big rigs are a different story though.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
other than it being a ford??:rof J/K didn't the 7.3 have auto high idle? How cold was it when he was camping?

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Well, being a POS and not taking care of it goes hand in hand. I have a friend that has a 7.3 and it does pretty good. There is no reason to let a vehicle idle (even for heat) until it is below 0.....that's why they call it camping. I have let my truck run almost all day on an occation or 2, but I activated the high idle during that time too (I wired a manual high idle on mine). The temp out that day was about -30F and I was running all over that day and couldn't plug the truck in. It is ok to let it idle for 15-20 min, but don't do it for hours unless it is cold outside. The new trucks have the auto high idle feature for those times anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.