Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. Im looking into buying a new duramax, or even and 04 or 05, over a powerstroke because of the allison. In doing a little research, ive noticed that there are some power differences in the diesel motors, better known as the LLY and the LBZ models? LLY having less power, is from what i understand. If i order a new truck, how can i be sure that the truck i order has the LBZ motor, assuming thats the motor i want. Also, LBZ models, ,were they available previous to 06?

One more question. I read here on the boards somewhere that if i were to chip the Duramax for more than 90 HP, that i would need to watch out for the tranny going. I thought that the Allison was bullet proof? Maybe i misunderstood. Thank you for all the help in advanced.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
THe LBZ was 06/07 only, if you were to order one now i beleive you would get a new lmm engine which is a lbz with some new emisions junk on it!

The Ally is not bullet proof 90 to 100 extra hp and rough driving will tear it apart in time just remember 90 hp is nearly 200 extra lb ft also!

The newer 06+ 6 speed allys seem to be holding up much better to more power FYI!

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ive got the VA and the powerpup stacked with a stock ally. Ive been running that way for awhile with no issues. Ive never limped and have had no problem out of it.

If i had it to do all over again i think i would get a 03 or early 04.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went in and talked to one of the mangaers at a local chevy dealer, and he explained that in 07 there was going to be some kind of EGT limit, a lower limit. I believe he said that they were going to drop the limit to 1100. He told me that the 06's were running at about 900 right now stock.

I do believe also, that the ally is probably the most durable tranny out there. If i do end up buying a duramax, i will probably stick with an 04 or 05, like i stated earlier. Looks like im going to be sticking a programmer, or a mild chip, and exhaust. oh well. Its a family car...hahha, right.

thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
262 Posts
as for the tranny fon i have 12000 miles on my 06lly with the six speed and i have run the truck hard i am on it and i am a programmer that is supposedly an additional 225hp i have had the programmer sice day1 and have not had a problem

·
Registered
29 Posts
hey guys. Im looking into buying a new duramax, or even and 04 or 05, over a powerstroke because of the allison. In doing a little research, ive noticed that there are some power differences in the diesel motors, better known as the LLY and the LBZ models? LLY having less power, is from what i understand. If i order a new truck, how can i be sure that the truck i order has the LBZ motor, assuming thats the motor i want. Also, LBZ models, ,were they available previous to 06?

One more question. I read here on the boards somewhere that if i were to chip the Duramax for more than 90 HP, that i would need to watch out for the tranny going. I thought that the Allison was bullet proof? Maybe i misunderstood. Thank you for all the help in advanced.
Before you buy, you need to drive the LB7, LLY and LBZ. I wanted to save some $$ and really considered a year or 2 old D-Max. After talking to a couple of GM mechanics, they informed me the emission standards in 04 really hurt the power of the LLY. They also mentioned something about the turbo in the LLY. They said to look at the vin and count to the 8th digit. If is a (1) or (D) consider looking at them closer. If the 8th digit is a (2) move on. From what I understand, the (1) is the LB7 (2) LLY and the (D) is the LBZ. I drove all three (STOCK) and ended up with the LBZ. IMO, there was no comparison.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts