Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please don't bash me if these questions seem like them have been answered already. Here goes;
1. Do I have to buy an aftermarket radiator to get the fan to quit coming on as much pulling?
2. Will a 4" exhaust give me better mileage?
3. Will a programmer give me better mileage?
Thanks, Cam

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
please don't feel bad asking questions,we all learn by asking questions..
1. check with Mike L from this site for cooling stuff for your tranny and engine..
2. a exhaust will help in mileage seeing with the stock exhaust you have a cat and muffler that takes some work to push exhaustes thru(another thing that you can do is make it into a straight using the stock piping).
3. yes a programmer helps quite bit but is important that you get the right tuning so i would go with the Diablo for the best price but the best is the PPE or EFILive..
on Edit: contact this guy also for cooling stuff for your duramax http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/members/4382.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would buy an exhaust if it is worth the money. Would I gain the same mileage by simply removing the cat?
I don't care about the price if the product is superior. I just want mileage. What is the best programmer for mileage?
Thanks, Cam

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
for the best results do a 4" exhaust but you can do the straight using the stock piping if you want to save money but it doesn't have the results like the aftermarket exhaust..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, where is the best place to get;
4" Silverline
PPE
It does not have to be the cheapest price, I need good customer service. Thanks, Cam

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
check with some of the sponsors from this site if not contact me..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
13.7 mpg pulling a 40'/15,000 pound trailer. I went across the scales and was surprised that my crew cab with a flat bed weighs 8,000 pounds......... Oh, and my truck will probably out run a Mustang GT on power level 3!!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
What year truck do u have now

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
hows the Temps doing on the truck when you have a load?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hows the Temps doing on the truck when you have a load?
Radiator temp is staying around 200-210. If you try to drive 80mph up a long hill, the fan will come on. I drive 70mph unless someone makes me mad. Then I drive 95mph......... It seemed to me that the performance parts made my engine run cooler.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
thats good to hear,have you thought about switching to fully synthetic oils,that will help everything to run smother and little cooler.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts