Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my '22 Silverado 3.0 this weekend. I am in Atlanta so we don't have too much cold weather - but there are a few days per year. I have had a diesel the last few years but it was smaller and fit in my garage. This truck doesn't quite fit and will have to stay outside so I have a couple of new questions. At what temperature should I use a diesel fuel additive? At what temperature and duration might I need to use the block heater? Is there a thermostatic switch available that can be attached to the block heater or extension cord to only turn it on below the specific temperature so it doesn't have to run excessively or all night?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2021 All Dark Dbl Cab RST/Z71/LM2
58 Posts
I just got my '22 Silverado 3.0 this weekend. I am in Atlanta so we don't have too much cold weather - but there are a few days per year. I have had a diesel the last few years but it was smaller and fit in my garage. This truck doesn't quite fit and will have to stay outside so I have a couple of new questions. At what temperature should I use a diesel fuel additive? At what temperature and duration might I need to use the block heater? Is there a thermostatic switch available that can be attached to the block heater or extension cord to only turn it on below the specific temperature so it doesn't have to run excessively or all night?

Thanks in advance.
Here's what mine looks like for most of the winter. Never plugged it in or had any issues with starting. Maybe the glow plugs stay on for a few extra seconds during the most bitter cold days. The block heater is totally unnecessary here in the States. I guess it would help to warm the truck up inside faster on cold days but it is not necessary as far as starting the truck goes.
Wheel Tire Car Snow Vehicle

·
Registered
127 Posts
You are nowhere near any temperatures that will need any of the above. I wouldn’t even think about doing anything to it until it reaches about 15° F. if this happens in Atlanta, you’ll be in the same shape Texas was last year….

as far as the block heater being totally unnecessary in the states, that’s kind of subjective, if you are experiencing below 0F temperatures and your vehicle sits outside, the block heater has a great benefit. Quicker to heat and better on your battery. Do you have to use it? no you don’t have to …but it definitely has benefit…

·
Registered
231 Posts
You are nowhere near any temperatures that will need any of the above. I wouldn’t even think about doing anything to it until it reaches about 15° F. if this happens in Atlanta, you’ll be in the same shape Texas was last year….

as far as the block heater being totally unnecessary in the states, that’s kind of subjective, if you are experiencing below 0F temperatures and your vehicle sits outside, the block heater has a great benefit. Quicker to heat and better on your battery. Do you have to use it? no you don’t have to …but it definitely has benefit…
Last year i never plugged mine in even when down to -13*, started up just fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought both became an issue around 20 or extended time. That is what I was checking. We do go below 20 a few nights a year. It is more rare that is stays there but that also happens once or twice a year where the high will not go above maybe the mid 20's. I am not so paranoid that my boat doesn't stay in the water year round (just north of Atlanta) with a small bilge heater that kicks on below a certain temp. Truthfully, I don't know if it ever turns on because the water temp is never below the mid 50's and supposedly that keeps the bilge warm enough.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I thought both became an issue around 20 or extended time. That is what I was checking. We do go below 20 a few nights a year. It is more rare that is stays there but that also happens once or twice a year where the high will not go above maybe the mid 20's. I am not so paranoid that my boat doesn't stay in the water year round (just north of Atlanta) with a small bilge heater that kicks on below a certain temp. Truthfully, I don't know if it ever turns on because the water temp is never below the mid 50's and supposedly that keeps the bilge warm enough.
Like others have mentioned, you don't need to plug your truck in. It shouldn't have any issues starting even at 0° as long as your batteries are in good shape. I will disagree that you don't need any additive though. Even if just for the sake of lubricity, it's a good idea to run a quality fuel additive. Gelling issues are no fun either but I doubt you'll have to worry about that a whole lot. I'm in Arkansas and have never plugged my truck in but I do use Opti-lube XPD in every tank and my truck had no issues popping off in the single digits last year.

Reactions: Nate Dmax

·
Registered
2021 Silverado 2500HD LTZ L5P
223 Posts
I live in Wisconsin. temps now are in the 20's or less overnight so I plug it in on a timer that goes on about 2 hours before I leave in the morning. gets the coolant to about 60ish by 7am. is it needed... no. but it is one less cold start it has to suffer through.

I use hotshot everyday diesel treatment just to give it some more lubricity.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Congrats on the new truck.

I live up in Alberta, CA; living thru cold snap right now. I gets down to -30C/ -22F overnight and the truck sits out all night when at work camp.
Here is my take on your questions.

Block heater- it’s really helps when the temps go below -20C/-4F but not necessary at temps warmer than that. I believe, Late 20 and 21 trucks have a thermostat built in which lets the block heater operate only when it’s colder than 0F. Even if you plug-in, it doesn’t mean the block heater is active.

winter addictive- you do not need to add additives, diesel fuel gels below -40C/F and if that’s a concern in your area, the fuel company will add winter additive packages so that the diesel will not gel up or loose potency as thousands of gallons sit in the tanks at gas stations. It’s not necessary, totally your choice. I do not add any.

Here are a couple of precautions I do follow.
1. Fuel filter- regardless of the percentage left, I change out the fuel filter before winter. debris and small amounts of water caught in the filter will freeze in the winter and can cause issues.
2. Fuel level- when new it does not matter as much, but as you put on the miles, condensation starts building up in your fuel tank, in summer it just vents out but in the winter it can freeze around the nozzles and fittings inside the tank. It’s important to keep you tank full or close to so most of the condensation vents out.
3. DEF- Def freezes at 12F and DEF heater thaws is out when you turn the truck ON. However the tank itself is plastic and will crack if it’s full of fluid. So make sure it’s not full going into or during winter. I usually dump 2.5g when I get 1000miles of range left notification on my dash, 2.5g fills up to half and I know I’ll be safe. Make sure the dealership does not fill up the tank when you take it for service either.

Enjoy your ride

·
Registered
960 Posts
Friend of mine said his 18 started @ -48 without being plugged in, but it didn't like it very much.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
GM suggests not using the block heater til below 0*F.

Bonus of letting it run on the automatic elevated idle (which kicks off when the coolant gets warm) is the they will 'drag' the torque converter to create heat for the transmission as well.

From bulletin for the 3.0:

Also inform the customer to avoid engine block heater use in temperatures above 0°F/–18°C. While the owner’s manual states an engine block heater should be used in temperatures less than 0°F/–18°C, it isn’t vital until much lower temperatures of less than –13°F/–25°C.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If that is the case I can pretty safely say I will NEVER need the block heater here in Atlanta. I think I remember it getting down to maybe 4F one time in 30 years. We get into the teens once or twice a year. I am good. Any great suggestions on additives? While I saw that Reddy said they already have stuff in their Canadian fuel as a preventative, I would bet we don't here in the South.

·
Super Moderator
1,743 Posts
winter addictive- you do not need to add additives, diesel fuel gels below -40C/F and if that’s a concern in your area, the fuel company will add winter additive packages so that the diesel will not gel up or loose potency as thousands of gallons sit in the tanks at gas stations. It’s not necessary, totally your choice. I do not add any.
Not true, ask all the people in Texas when they had their freak storm. It was a lot warmer than -40C/F. I believe it only got down to the teens.

@Sbbamafan ,
I run Optilube XPD year round. Good for the fuel pump too. A good place to get it is idparts.com. I buy two gallons at a time to maximize the product shipped per shipping cost. Get the small empty bottles and pump on your first gallon and you'll be set for quick and easy measurements. It's about an ounce per stroke of the pump. Summer mix ratio is 1 oz per 4 gallons and winter mix ratio is 1 oz per 2 gallons.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not true, ask all the people in Texas when they had their freak storm. It was a lot warmer than -40C/F. I believe it only got down to the teens.

You are correct Mr. Sbbamafan,
Up here in the White North, we go thru different grades of diesel in winter vs summer.
The winter grade gels below -40; however summer grade which is what I assume would be used round the year down in GA and TX would gel up at only 32F. Which means you would need an additive to be on the cautious side.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You are correct Mr. Sbbamafan,
Up here in the White North, we go thru different grades of diesel in winter vs summer.
The winter grade gels below -40; however summer grade which is what I assume would be used round the year down in GA and TX would gel up at only 32F. Which means you would need an additive to be on the cautious side.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Most stations put additives in their fuel nowadays. The issue is that they're adding bulk base additives and who knows the actual concentration of additives in any given gallon of fuel that you pump into your tank. Adding your own additive isn't going to hurt anything (maybe your wallet just a bit) and that way you know without a shadow of a doubt that you have the necessary protection for the weather in your area. And, yes, the lubricity is good for the fuel pump and injectors.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Mine normally sits in a heated garage all winter, but this past winter I had to kick it out, couple it to my 5th wheel and move the whole rig out in the driveway. Garage roof ice issues were developing. It stayed outside for 2 days and nites. Nite temps were -20+. I got a pic of the outside temp on my Yukon rear mirror that shows it was -16 and it was taken at 7:45am on my way to work. It was parked face into the wind and not plugged in at all. I went out, hit the unlock button on the key fob, opened the door, stuck the key in the ignition and immediately went to crank mode. No waiting for it to "wake up", no waiting for the wait to start light, nothing but crank. It rolled over a few extra times compared to a normal start, but it lit right off with no issues.
I'm sure the DEF in the tank was froze solid. And the only additive I put in the fuel is Power Service that I use for lubricity of the fuel system. The fuel in the tank was the typical winter blend of fuel we normally get at the pump up here. They start delivering winter blend fuel up here around mid october.
Being in Ga, I doubt you have to worry about any winter fuel additives and/or having to plug it in unless you're taking a trip up here to the great white north. Even then, I wouldnt worry too much.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Just go under the settings on your touch screen. I believe it's "comfort and convenience" and turn on elevated idle, which will kick up on cold starts to get things moving quicker.

I too run Optilube as Viper suggested (Because he makes me spend all my money) I'm on my second winter in North Jersey, zero special treatment and zero issues to date. Not as cold here as some of these guys see but its not uncommon to go single digits for a week or two in Jan plus the snow. I appreciate seeing a new guy try to stay ahead of things!

·
Registered
127 Posts
When I mentioned 15 Deg it was mainly for fuel additive , not plugging in. In the upper Midwest fuel is blended well in advance of cold/ gelling temps and is mostly a non-issue. But in GA, If you hit the teens etc, it may not hurt to hit it with some Power Service. Its inexpensive and certainly doesn't hurt a thing. The 2 things that will slow down a diesel in bitter cold are cranking power and thick oil. Plugging them in below zero helps both of those immensely. I've been stranded in my Cummins after sitting at an airport for 5 days at -10F. The oil was thick as Nutella and no place at a public lot to plug in. Even with 2 Batteries, would not spin it. So, I've been on both sides of this issue...

·
Registered
2016 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax
174 Posts
I use Hot Shots and winterized diesel when the temperature drops to 20° and colder. I don't plug truck in until it gets below -20. Truck starts just fine.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts