Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,, I am new here and am wondering where on the site to find info on what the difference between the Edge tuners and EFI live and which will be better for me, I would like better MPG but like to punch it once in a while. Also I am wondering why you need 25 posts to request a VIN check. I'm not a big talker and that may take a while. Thanks in advance for the help.
Rich
06 3500 dually LBZ stock for now.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Welcome to the DF! EFI LIVE if you want the best don't get me wrong edge makes a good product but EFI is built to your truck

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
897 Posts
Welcome to the forum. EFILive is the way to go! I recommend IdahoRob

·
Registered
805 Posts
Welcome and listen to the other two about EFI!

- Adam

·
Needs more go fast
12,519 Posts
welcome to the df!

·
Diesel Junky
1,107 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Efi is the best, and 25 posts are nothing. Just do a lot of reading and ask questions. Efi is best because it is specifically built for your truck and what u want out of it.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The EFI is probably the best for tuning your engine--- BUT, it is not PnP like Edge and PPE. It has a learning curve, and takes a while to be able to program. Many vendors sell the EFI and other tuners, and some offer a free tune with purchase. Others offer a ECM tune where you send you computer to them and they program it and send it back.

A selector switch is also available where you can select one to five different tunes at the turn of a knob.

Be aware, increasing the HP and torque of the engine, can limp the trans and you will have to upgrade it-- $$$$.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
^Agreed. Welcome to DF man.

EFI live is the way to go, because you will just upgrade it down the road anyhow haha. Basically it has infinite potential, vs a canned tuner which will certainly run in to limitations. Plus it will run cleaner/more efficiently.

With that being said, PPE offers the best canned tuner IMHO. So if the pre tuned ECM is out of the question for you (which i would recommend if you want a low budget efi setup with superior results to any canned tuner) then I would definitely go for a PPE product. Just my 0.02.

Oh and post up some pics when you have a chance :thumb

·
Registered
74 Posts
i too would have to say that with out a doubt efi live is the best thing for our trucks. You can either buy the unit if you feel comfortable tuning your self or get a pre tuned ecm from a tuner.
Now with that being said. It sounds like you are just wanting something that you can plug in and go and not need to take the time to learn. If that is the case and you just want a "canned" tuner or "plug and play" tuner then i suggest the PPE. you can get a PPE econ tuner that will get you 120hp and they are not that bad. If you plan on upgrading your trans you can always go higher but if there are no plans for trans work then you can get the econ tuner and be happy with it. I had my truck on the 90hp tune and on my road trip from Georgia to cali i saw an average of 20-22 mpg. My normal average when i am home is 17 but i do mainly city driving and alot of stop and go traffic.

if thats all your looking for then go with the PPE. great product and great people if you ever need anything. If you are wanting a more customizable tuner then go with efi.

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
i got an edge evo until next year when i get back from afghanistan and its pretty cool but efi live is the shit.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would say EFI Live... my dad and i just got it for both of our trucks...Im 25 and he is 52....hes got an 05 lly and i have an 06 lbz...we couldnt be happier, shifts smoother, noticeable gains in mpgs/power, he cant believe how much better his truck runs and the mileage improvements. You can pick the tunes yourself, tow/econ...etc.. pick what horespower you want..But i have not ever had any other tuners so do your research, look at everyones signatures...

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Welcome to the forum

1 - 14 of 14 Posts