Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got a duramax. And all I can say is wow. I got an 02 3500 crew 4x4 and it is amazing how nice it rides and how it gets up and goes quite nicely. I looking forward to tinkering with it and getting more fuel mileage. I check it for the first time and got 17.5 mpg. Dam, i only got that with my cummins if I drove like a granny. I would like to do an exhaust, what is a good muffler that has a good mellow sound but is free flowing? Thanks for any help and tips.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
welcome to the forum..the duramax/allison is a great combo and does a good on fuel milage..i would recommend doing a exhaust,tuner and a CAI(Cold Air Intake)for your duramax AKA the LB7 Duramax..
Exhaust=Silverline or MBRP
Tuner=best one for the dollar is the Diablo or Hypertech but the best one is the PPE and if you want to take the time to make your own tunes go with the EFILive but it is time consuming to learn how to build your own tunes..
CAI=AFE,Volant,S&B,Banks or the Amsoil and if you want to save some $$$ you can do a drop in filter but for your engine and turbos safety stay away from the K&N filters and the oiled filters..hope this helps
i gained almost 5mpg on my 05 dually and 4mpg on my 06 2500HD with a PPE tuner,Silverline exhaust and the 05 has a S&B CAI and my 06 has a stock upgrade that is avalible for the LBZ duramax..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fof the info. I had a cummins dodge and still have a GMC Typhoon and both have oiled filters. I am very anal about keeping them clean. Plus I very rarely am in dusty/dirty conditions. S&B, where are they out of? Also with the tuners, I've seen them for sale on here and guys say they are "put back to stock", what are they refereing to. My cummins was mechanical so these tuners are foreign to me. For now I am going to replace the muffler, that all I'm "allowed"(wife) to do. The truck payment is enough money, start throwing upgrades on it and she'll pop a gasket.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Just be careful that you don't get oil sucked in from the filter. And if you do put an exhaust on...if you do a turbo back system....you should get an EGR blocker plate and a "Fingers Stick" to block it from throwing codes.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
Thanks fof the info. I had a cummins dodge and still have a GMC Typhoon and both have oiled filters. I am very anal about keeping them clean. Plus I very rarely am in dusty/dirty conditions. S&B, where are they out of? Also with the tuners, I've seen them for sale on here and guys say they are "put back to stock", what are they refereing to. My cummins was mechanical so these tuners are foreign to me. For now I am going to replace the muffler, that all I'm "allowed"(wife) to do. The truck payment is enough money, start throwing upgrades on it and she'll pop a gasket.
i'm guessing by the way it sounds you had a 12V CTD(best diesel built in my book)and yes they are mechanical but the Duramax and the other newer Diesels have electronics on them to run the engine and fuel system so with the programmers or chips it enhances the engine computer(also know as the ECM)for more fuel and boost(kinda like turning up the pump on a 12V only you do it on a the truck computer)in the end with the right tuning you can increase your hp and fuel economy..hope this makes sense.
the basics are doin a Exhaust and programmer and like i said if you want to do the CAI but it isn't a must..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm familiar with the ecm stuff to a point, My typhoon is a MAP sensor controlled forced air engine and I have a 11 or 12 stage chip for that. Yes I did have a 12v and I agree. A 12v cummins/allison 6 speed in a GM truck- best combo ever- imo. I have already found the exhaust I want and am getting a 5 stage chip from a friend. I'm also getting an X-monitor to keep a check on the vitals. I can't wait to see the difference. Educate me on these "finger sticks" you speak of. Is there somewhere I can download and print some pics and literature on the duramax/allison combo so I can get up on the mechanical points of these beasts. Thanks, Jason

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
welcome the forum!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
I'm familiar with the ecm stuff to a point, My typhoon is a MAP sensor controlled forced air engine and I have a 11 or 12 stage chip for that. Yes I did have a 12v and I agree. A 12v cummins/allison 6 speed in a GM truck- best combo ever- imo. I have already found the exhaust I want and am getting a 5 stage chip from a friend. I'm also getting an X-monitor to keep a check on the vitals. I can't wait to see the difference. Educate me on these "finger sticks" you speak of. Is there somewhere I can download and print some pics and literature on the duramax/allison combo so I can get up on the mechanical points of these beasts. Thanks, Jason
the Finger stick and EGR block plate fools the Computer and allows the truck to have a straight exhuast plus a aftermarket CAI and more boost with out throwing a CEL..hope this helps
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CAI ?? At the chance of sounding stupid, what is this?

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
cold air intake

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cold air intake
Told ya- man I feel stupid. Anyway where can one get finger sticks? Is the EGR block off easily located and fabbed? I fabbed one for my Ty, I have an extensive amount of tools at hand so I can do alot of stuff myself. I want to get some upgrades done and poosibly run it yet this season. I'd like to stick my friends foot and 03 Eclipse in his mouth. He likes to bust balls @ the big loud diesel. Like to leave him in a cloud of black smoke.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
well theres good news,i just stomped a 01 Eclipse with a turbo and other hp stuff on it(i do the guys tires so i know the car and the funny thing is he had wanted to run pinks but he is glad he didn't now)and that was from 75mph to 105mph and i had 2 lenghts on him plus i had 5 guys in the truck with me..

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
i can take every car at my school even just on the stock tune.. dmax= best haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Sorry to post like this but I did not want to start a new tread. I too am new to this forum and the duramax diesel. I have one questions and all response will be appreciated. I used to have a cumming and was some what peased but the truck was too loud, Now I am thinking of trying the Duramax an engine that I have respected and adored for a while. Because thay have been an arm and a leg to get in the past I was unable to get one. Now I am being offered a 02 extented cap 4X4 duramax with over 350K Kilometers not miles. Before I buy I would like to find out about what I should watch out for chech point and if this is too high milage. What should I expect

Once again all input will be appreciated.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Hi Sorry to post like this but I did not want to start a new tread. I too am new to this forum and the duramax diesel. I have one questions and all response will be appreciated. I used to have a cumming and was some what peased but the truck was too loud, Now I am thinking of trying the Duramax an engine that I have respected and adored for a while. Because thay have been an arm and a leg to get in the past I was unable to get one. Now I am being offered a 02 extented cap 4X4 duramax with over 350K Kilometers not miles. Before I buy I would like to find out about what I should watch out for chech point and if this is too high milage. What should I expect

Once again all input will be appreciated.
Well.....with 220,000 miles on it.....it really all depends on how well the other owner took care of it....and if he had any mods done to it or any tunes put in the truck. If it is bone stock...and all maintenance was done on a regular basis...and he didn't tow really heavy or beat the crap out of it.....I know someone who has 537,000+ miles on an 01 with no issues yet. Those are just some things to think about....because if he modded the engine and didn't take care of it...you could run into tranny problems among other things. See if you can find out the history of the truck and then post again with what you find out. And how much is he asking for the truck?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey thank for the reply n0useforaname I am going to check out the truck tommorow or on the week end he is asking $14K. The seller is a mechanic and said that he has taken very good are of it. Looks good on the out side not to sure of what I should be looking for under the hood.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Well $14,000.00 for the truck isn't a bad price if it's in good condition. When you check out the truck again.....look for what options it has, towing package, leather, CD, power windows, lock, etc..... Look for aftermarket Exhaust, Cold Air Intake, Tune....look for rust or any dents. And when you take it for a ride....see if it shifts smooth or has any weird driving habits. There is really no way to see inside the engine....just also see if he has any kind of warranty with it....like if you take it home and it dies in like a week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello again I have seen the truck and it is in I think amazing condition. But I have some small concerns:
1. The Oil pressure gauge seems be at 150(halfway) and at idle is shivering when gas is given it rises to the right depending on how much peddle is is given. Is this normal.
2. How are the trannies, the change of gears is smooth only the leaver has a lot of play.
3. The oil in the motor is like new. I mean really new. Owner said that the oil was changed every 5K. But it is unbleavably new. Is it possible that the oil can be after over 300K in this condition or has he something to hide.
4. If I had to get a tranny and motor any guesses as the how much I may be looking at.
As some of you guys probably guessed I have very little auto knowleged. I would be very gratfull for any help in the above issues or any other concerns that I should be aware of.
The motor is a LB7 (Year 02) 5 Speed Auto tranny.
thx

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
1. My Oil pressure gauge half way is 60...my truck normally idles warmed up at 30....with the pedal down it goes to 60...and on a Cold startup it's at 90. Are you talking 150PSI?
2. Is it a standard? If so play is normal in the shifter.
3. You mean 300 miles? Because I change my oil and check it after about 1000 miles and it's still decently clean.
4. Alot...a new Allison is around 4 to 6 grand...and the engine I believe is around the same.
And as far as the 02 year...they had injector problems...see if he already had them replaced...or if it would still be under warranty. I think that they had a 7 year 200,000 mile warranty on the injectors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1.I guess it must be a PSI Gauge it is canadian truck this is in KM and not in miles. But the pressure when warm sits at about half way and shivers as the engine idles.
2. Yes it is an allison 5 speed Auto transmition. As I mensioned it drives and changes great. The actual leaver around the stearing column has quit a bit of play not tight like other vehicle. It does not affect the function at all but it is a noted point.
3.No the truck has 300K Plus KM's and the oil is cleaner than my other vehicles with a lot less milage. I am just thinking if the guy has flushed the engine and thus removed all the gunk and exposing the ware in the motor for possible leaks weakening the engine. Althought it does not show any leaks or problems.
4. Yes he has had all 8 injectors replaced under warrenty.
One more thing is that when he showed it to me and the truck was idling it seemed to be very slightly uneasy ie fluctuation in RPM and kinda finding a settling point of the RPM's is this normal when they are started up. (This was a very slight fluctuation not drastic and did not affect the performance at all).
Thx Bud.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts