Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for yet another fuel filter thread, seems like they come up a lot these days.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Nicktane fuel filter adapter. Looks like Nicktane and Alligator have the CAT filters for around $20, OEM-style ones from my local O'Reilly's are closer to $45.

I have a 2004 LB7 ccsb with 95k miles.

Just to check, are these what I need?
Billet Aluminum Filter Adapter from Nicktane
CAT 1R-0750 2 micron fuel filter

I see some 1-micron fuel filters, but am I right that I wouldn't want those unless I had a lift pump and aux fuel filter? I'm not looking to spend that much money just yet, but maybe one day...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump. If I don't hear back I assume I'll be okay with these.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Yes that's what you need. Love mine so far. No problems at all!:thumb

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thanks guys.

Is lack of water separation an issue? I've seen some guys on here claim you don't really need it.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
There is no "lack of water separation". There is just no way to drain it from the 1R0750 is all. I don't worry about it because I've owned a duramax for 6 years now and pulled my camper all over the country and had the factory filter up till the last few months or so, and have NEVER had to drain any water out. That's my 2 cents worth. lol.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,729 Posts
not sure,

mine runs fine but i dont do any WOT with it, 1. because i dont have a lift pump (running on hot), 2. im not in a hurry....even at 28 :)

from what i hear with the cat filters they are long enough to where during normal load the water stays at the bottom and wont get sucked out, dont quote me, but thats just what i read

·
Registered
252 Posts
Having no water separation is not a problem. Until you get a tank full of fuel that has water in it. Most of the time, the fuel you buy from a reasonably busy fuel stop, is gonna be fine.... But sooner or later, you will get a belly full of watered down diesel.

The cat filter will separate water - to a limited extent. Same as your factory filter. It just depends on HOW MUCH water you have. If you suspect water in your fuel, pull your filter and dump it into a clear container and wait for it to separate. eventually when a water sep fills up with water - you will shutdown due to it. Yes it is nice to hit the draincock for a squirt and then be done. Slightly less easy, but still do able, is to yank the cat filter, dump it, reinstall, prime and roll.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Adapter + filter just came in today! If it warms up sometime this week I'll get them installed.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine just arrived as well. Haven't got it on yet. I am not too worried about losing the water seperator. And I would expect the GM techs would say AC Delco is better than CAT.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've heard from various techs that the dual bypass ac delco filter filters better than the cats
Was this a gm tech? just wondering. All the research shows cats fuel filters are top notch, one of the best if not the best.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I'm sure the cats are very good filters, but so is the ac delco TP-3012 once you do the research. IMO what sets them apart (and maybe what the tech was referring to) is the dedicated water separation capability of the coalescing delco.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've got the nicktane adapter and i ordered the Donaldson P553203 fuel/water separation filter. Its a 3 micron filter with a drain valve at the bottom of the filter. I also orderd the clear bowl attachment so that i can see if there is any water in the fuel before i drain it or have to remove the filter and re-prime. I got everything from MadJack Diesel. Even though you might never have water in your fuel, this is the closest to a factory set up but with better fuel filtration. The Donaldson filters are just as cheap as the CAT filters.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm going to be installing an Air Dog II 165 before long and I also wanted to do a Nicktane adapter with a Cat filter, some of my friends just used a delete bowl for their factory filter but IMO I don't think the air dog filters would filter any better than the OEM one. Do any of you feel that this would be more restrictive?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm going to be installing an Air Dog II 165 before long and I also wanted to do a Nicktane adapter with a Cat filter, some of my friends just used a delete bowl for their factory filter but IMO I don't think the air dog filters would filter any better than the OEM one. Do any of you feel that this would be more restrictive?
I installed my AirDog and Cat Filter at the same time. I chose to keep both filters as a precaution and for extra filtration for the reason you mentioned above. I had the same question about flow and couldn't find anybody saying they had issues keeping pressure with a LiftPump and Cat or Donanldson 3um filter setups. I'd also rebuild the filter head when your doing the adapter, and replace the bleeder screw if you haven't done so already. Have to take it apart anyway.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks. Yeah i was planning rebuilding the head while I had it apart as well.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am running nicktane adapter fass 150 hd. The lift pump overcomes any issues that I would experience with the 3 filter setup. But by golly I got clean fuel!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm sure the cats are very good filters, but so is the ac delco TP-3012 once you do the research. IMO what sets them apart (and maybe what the tech was referring to) is the dedicated water separation capability of the coalescing delco.
I know the cat filters are 2 micron, I believe they are rated absolute. ac delco is only 4 micron and i believe they are only rated nominal, plus cats are over half as cheap. And as for water in the filter I change my filter every 6k(i run the big 0749), so water really is not an issue, I always fill up at high turn over gas station. I also run the fass 150 titanium kit and don't have an issue with fuel flow to feed my efi max effort:gearjamin

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got it installed today. It was quite a pain, mostly because I didn't really know what I was doing :p and didn't read the instructions. I lost the filter plug screw, bought a replacement, promptly snapped the replacement, and had to drive (or rather, had a friend drive me) 30 miles to another town to find another GM dealer who had one in stock.

Then I couldn't get it to start once I put everything together. I thought I couldn't get it primed, turns out I had left the ball and spring in the filter head and they were cutting off flow. Took them out and she started right up.

Oh well. Live and learn.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts