Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nitrogen Oxide Sensor
Hello, I'm new at this site but am looking for some help to get over the dealer sticker shocking price on installing two new 6.6L Duramax NOx (Nitrogen Oxide) Sensor. My truck 2011 with 103,000 miles The dealer price is $375.00 for each sensor plus 2-3 hours of service. I can get the sensors online for less than half that price, can anyone point me to a diagram or suggest a way to install or am I better off at the dealer.
Thanks for your time.

Mike

·
GMC..Professional Grade
3,962 Posts
Buy the sensors, look at the back half of the exhaust, use a 7/8" wrench (or an O2 sensor socket) to unscrew, unbolt the little boxes on the outside of the frame, and replace the 2 items that look similar to what you purchased. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Easy like Ken said but they are different p/n's so be sure to match the part numbers on the back of the modules.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Front one - 1/2 hour labor
Rear one - maybe 1 hour labor.

The dealer has a 100% markup on the sensors - has been a gold mine for them.

The 2011's had defective sensors just like the Fords did - surprised yours lasted this long.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Out of curiosity, where's the front one? In the engine box right behind the turbo?

·
Registered
293 Posts
The 2011's had defective sensors just like the Fords did - surprised yours lasted this long.
Sure do. "software anomaly" Here is the thread on mine.
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2...rain/509826-check-engine-light-so-begins.html

The issue or problem with replacing them yourself is, the sensors have to calibrate once installed. That means you need a TECH II to do so and most of us don't have them. The ECM update will fix your compass not reading right during regens too. After the updates and sensor change, it took a tank plus for my mileage to rebound and the truck to start popping in the 19-20MPG range again.

In short....
Customer states CK engine light is on, customer requests to no do any ECM updates.
NOX sensor position 1 poor performance resulting in P2201 ECM settings false DTC P207F due to software anomaly. Tested circuits to/from NOX sensor all OK. Replaced NOX sensor position 1 & setup. Preformed reduction quality test failed. Seeing P207F ran test again failed again failed setting P207F. (NOX sensors were reading 89PPM and 25PPM within spec.) Programed ECM with latest ECM updated calibrations per doc 2577094 claim code 11E62. Preformed reduction quality test again PASSED. No further DTCS and all DIC messages cleared System now working properly.

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts