Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove to Home Depot this morning and come out and it won't crank. Dash lights up, radio works. Put it into neutral and no change. Lock/unlock doors in case it was some security feature. No change.

I walk to a GMC dealership less than a 1/4 mile away to see if they can diagnose. I get back and it starts right up. It's at the dealership now to see if they can find the problem, but I'm suspecting I'll get back a "could not replicate."

Any ideas? I'm thinking a wire is grounded out somewhere.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Drove to Home Depot this morning and come out and it won't crank. Dash lights up, radio works. Put it into neutral and no change. Lock/unlock doors in case it was some security feature. No change.

I walk to a GMC dealership less than a 1/4 mile away to see if they can diagnose. I get back and it starts right up. It's at the dealership now to see if they can find the problem, but I'm suspecting I'll get back a "could not replicate."

Any ideas? I'm thinking a wire is grounded out somewhere.
it could be a lot of things, but based on the drove to a store, got out and no crank, then cranked later, i would guess the starter is toast, and will only crank when cold. It could be a lot of other things though, but its not uncommon for a starter to work cold and not work hot. Otherwise i would check the relays and fuses for corrosion / spread terminals and go over your grounds and battery lugs, though i think its unlikely to be a charging system issue given it started shortly after.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Loose terminal on the starter.

Reactions: mray

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer called and said it started all day long. I need to replace the fuel filter anyway so I'll take a look at the starter when I'm in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts