Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTF? I thought GM was not allowed to make or use any LMM motors after January 01 2010!

Here's the door sticker of an LMM 4X4 showing the VIN and a build date of 1/10. WTF?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Well the new motor is coming out on all the 2011 models so that may be why, so where ever you found that out may have been false or I could also be wrong

·
Registered
676 Posts
The rule on the engine is they can not make a LMM ater Dec 31, they can use all the engines they had left over.

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
My truck is an 09 but, was built in 10/09. The dealer didn't get it until Feb. The truck was Last years model when it showed up at the dealers, WTF!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
My truck is an 09 but, was built in 10/09. The dealer didn't get it until Feb. The truck was Last years model when it showed up at the dealers, WTF!

It was produced 10/09 ?? MSO/Title came thru as a 2009 ?? I don't think that is even legal. My 2010 was made 11/09 and is a 2010 with a LMM in it.........

·
Registered
69 Posts
The EPA rules which dictate when these emissions systems go in effect regulate the engine build date, not the vehicle completion date. The urea systems going in the new trucks are for the new engines. I am sure GM stockpiled a fair number of LMM's to match anticipated orders or the quantity needed on-hand to keep assembly lines going until changeover.

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
It was produced 10/09 ?? MSO/Title came thru as a 2009 ?? I don't think that is even legal. My 2010 was made 11/09 and is a 2010 with a LMM in it.........
It was built on 10/09 per the sticker on the door and all other paper work from the truck says it is a 2009. The window sticker and the sticker that was on the windshield with vin number and assembly information all say 2009. It may have been one of the last 2009 built but, all associated paper work indicates it is a 2009.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I was looking to order an 2010 in January of this year and the dealer told me that There was no more LMM. We priced out the truck, spec'd it and when it was ordred GM came back and said I had to order the 2011 with the new motor in it. I just got rid of my 08 Crew gasser last week so I am currently looking for a new 2010 or a used truck as I did not want the new mill.

·
Registered
676 Posts
They must be selling a lot of trucks to have sold all engines the built 3 months and 5 days ago. That new motor seems like a winner to me, more power, better fuel mileage. Just a thought!

·
Registered
297 Posts
ya i work at a caterpillar dealership. Cat hasn't made over the road truck engines since 2007 i believe because they can't meet emissions. but you can buy a 2010 kenworth truck with a 2007 cat motor. as long as the motor was made when it was still legal it is fine.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
10th month or after gets the next year build date.....Or maybe someone knows the official rule on this?? I have a Malibu built in 10/77.....it's a 78 though[G-body],not the god awful ugly bodies of the 77 year model:D

Had a few vehicles bought or built after October or so that carried the next year designation.We always tried to wait till year's end to get a vehicle.....they sell for a good bit cheaper when they have to gofrom the dealer's lot..:drink

·
Registered
69 Posts
ya i work at a caterpillar dealership. Cat hasn't made over the road truck engines since 2007 i believe because they can't meet emissions. but you can buy a 2010 kenworth truck with a 2007 cat motor. as long as the motor was made when it was still legal it is fine.
No, Cat still made truck application engines through early to mid 2009, the "2007" moniker refers to the emissions rule. Since Cat's announcement in late 2008 that they were exiting the heavy truck engine market, they pretty well lost all remaining popularity except for the die-hard fans. Where before dealers couldn't keep a new Cat powered truck on the sales lot, now they have steep discounts over Cummins just to get them off the lot. Cat's ACERT technology didn't live up to what it was supposed to, resulting in significant warranty and reliability problems. Cat made a strategic decision to quit chasing emissions regs as the 3 year window for each new reg tightening didn't provide a chance to recoup the cost of the engineering investment, especially with the almost non-existent new truck market since 2007.

The big three emissions benchmarks are 10/02 for Oct '02, 2007 and 2010. You will note that most light duty diesels and the trucks they go in also had major changes around each of those times to accomodate the changes. 10/02 brought in EGR technology, 2007 brought in DPF's and 2010, for the most part, brings in urea injection. Incidentally, 10/02 was really the 2004 emission regulation that was pushed up 15 months as the result of a settlement between the EPA and engine manufacturers after they were caught cheating on emissions testing and certifications. They chose to implement the '04 regs 15 months early as part of the settlement. As a result, 15 months was shaved off of test and evaluation time, leading to the relative catastrophe with the early 10/02 emissions trucks, especially Cat and Mack diesel engines.

As said in earlier posts, the emissions rules apply to engine build dates, not chassis build dates. Auto makers really cheat on the "model year" designation, sometimes building/selling them as early as the prior January (some '07 GM NBS SUV's were built in November '05). I believe most change over generally around mid June to mid July. I know my '08 Sierra was built Aug 7th 2007.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
i heard that:drink

·
Registered
55 Posts
My old truck was a 1999 F250 Superduty with a build date of 2/98 on the door. I think there is no longer a hard and fast rule about model years and build dates.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts