Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
From my understanding, tuning will still be available it just has to be epa compliant which most of the tuners now are doing that. This just means you will have to keep DEF and crap like that intact but tuning can still be done with these parts.

If you want illegal tunes, fork out the money and do it yourself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just like most everything in life the 90-10 rule prevails again. 90% of people try to do the right thing. 10% don’t. The 10% create 90% of the problems

·
Registered
774 Posts
I think you're looking for more along the lines of 92.5-7.5 rule.

·
Vendor
10,943 Posts
What will happen to the guys that recently purchased the "unlimited support"? Refund the difference in cost from the single tune and unlimited, or just screwed?
There are a lot of unanswered questions that we have posed to PPEI.

From my understanding, tuning will still be available it just has to be epa compliant which most of the tuners now are doing that. This just means you will have to keep DEF and crap like that intact but tuning can still be done with these parts.

If you want illegal tunes, fork out the money and do it yourself.

I think we are 3-6 months out from seeing more if not all the professional tuners out there still deleting will be doing this same thing or they are going to face the rath of the EPA. From what I have seen and heard they are turning up the heat and even going back for repeat visits to places they have already been too. I am saying it's right, I am saying that is the direction this industry is headed. While I don't agree with the EPA and their rules, until Congress does something to change the laws we have to abide by them. We know how much Congress is getting done these days, hell for the last for years.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The problem I see is for those of us in areas where we are not yet subject to inspection in order to register or re-register our vehicles. We know the EPA would like to have authority over the entire country, even over us in rural areas. Anyone know what the status is ?
I am in the same situation. It would not surprise me if the EPA tried to pass a federal law that required all states to check for emissions on all vehicles. This would be a big change though as some states do not even have inspection stickers anymore, such as MS and FL.

·
Registered
576 Posts
========================================
Exactly - that's what worries me - if I do a "complete delete" but leave the DEF and "cat" in place, could I still get by here in Arizona ( I know in our big city Phoenix, they have inspections...but I have no clue what the level of technical expertise they have - "sniffers"...? Right now I am in a "no inspection" area.

Which reminds me....I see on the Internet prices for the DPF at well over two grand! The one pictured shows it as a "bolt on" with flanges on both sides. On my truck...looks like one solid tube down from the exhaust manifold to the cat convertor - I don't see anything that looks like a DPF. Could that be INSIDE the tailpipe or CAT somewhere ?
The exhaust should come out the down pipe and be be held to the down pipe with a v-clamp with an 11mm bolt. The CAT is not far from the down pipe. After the CAT is a four bolt flange. That four bolt flange separates the CAT from the DPF. After the DPF the exhaust bends over the rear axle the exists the tail pipe. I will see if I can find a pipe for better reference. But the only flange on the LML is the four bolt between the CAT and DPF. The DPF is much larger and longer than the CAT.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Which reminds me....I see on the Internet prices for the DPF at well over two grand! The one pictured shows it as a "bolt on" with flanges on both sides. On my truck...looks like one solid tube down from the exhaust manifold to the cat convertor - I don't see anything that looks like a DPF. Could that be INSIDE the tailpipe or CAT somewhere ?
This is the DPF. The CAT is not pictured in this photo. This section is down stream of the CAT.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
On my truck...looks like one solid tube down from the exhaust manifold to the cat convertor - I don't see anything that looks like a DPF. Could that be INSIDE the tailpipe or CAT somewhere ?
In this photo you can see all of the factory exhaust. The short section on the left with the bend on one end is the section with the CAT. The section on the right that still has the tailpipe on it is the section with the DPF. Notice how much larger the DPF is compared to the CAT. The DPF should be located not too far in front of your rear tires.

If you still have problems locating it, post a photo of your exhaust and I will point it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe this is a dumb question but is there just another way to skin the cat per se when it comes to tuning? For example could a dummy dpf sensor be created that would just tell the computer your emissions system is running perfectly fine without having to tune the ecu? My understanding is the encryption on the ecu is what makes the tuning so difficult. The analogy that comes to mind is putting a mirror infront of a security laser mission impossible style. Let the sensor think everything is ok. If I worked in a getting paid in bitcoin sort of field and had a bigger brain I'd probably try to make and sell a solution that wouldn't be as costly or as cumbersome to do like swapping ecu's. Maybe this isn't even a delete solution but instead a my dpf broke and rather then spend 2k lets trick the computer into thinking it still works fine. I'm no expert in this field so maybe I'm way off base but thought I would ask.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
Your theory has already been tried.
All of your ideas has already been tried and shelved.

Flo-Pro has/had a dpf delete pipe with bungs looks just like the real thing, you install the sensors in the pipe, but it was only for looks this did not trick the computer.
You can put together your own delete pipe using different year exhaust sections, “BUT” you’ll still need tuning.
The tricking the computer part is thru tuning.
People are just goin to have to realize it ain’t goin to be easy, might as well just get use to it.

The more people complain, the longer the epa will have a big smile ear to ear.
Out of sight, out of mind, does wonders getting people off your a$$ overtime.
If you learn how to do your own tuning and buy a V2, maybe just maybe, you’ll succeed or trash ur engine not knowing what ur doing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm new to this forum and diesel ownership. Was planning to delete my '15 LML but have also noticed a decrease in available hardware/equipment. It is rather disappointing and just another example of government overstepping where doesn't belong. If you look at all the billions of cars on the road in this country, then how many are personally owners diesels, then of them how many are actually deleted??? It is such a small percentage, government just needs to back off...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yes, but when you make one exception, another person will say "hey, that's not fair, i want an exception too." Laws are there, some of them suck some of them are practical. Rally the troops and change the laws if you don't like them I guess, right? Well not really. But anyway. Several thousand truck owners being pissed off because the laws are being enforced and they are now inconvenienced isn't enough people for anyone in the government to really give a damn about. They'll continue this emissions battle and will win the war. Unless you change it by voting in people who agree with your agenda.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I don't like being told what I can and cannot do just like anyone else, but such is life. When you make your own rules that go against the law, you will pay the price sooner or later. That's what's happening now. :popcorn

·
Registered
103 Posts
I seen this earlier but too much legal jargon for my small hillbilly brain to understand. So hopefully everything will calm down now.

Seen in the comments section that the whole scare was brought on by Gale and Kory, but who knows. Everyone is always quick to point fingers when we are all kind of to blame for allowing this to happen.

·
Registered
9,972 Posts
That letter posted in the last page was sent to the owner of a diesel performance shop years ago

61 - 80 of 172 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.