Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
. . . . . .
Well, folks - what do you think about "saw's" post? Is that sensor ( the one in the pipe at the end of my CAT, Upstream of the muffler/DPF assembly a PRESSURE or TEMP sensor? So which is it - what tells the computer to throw me into "limp mode" - a pressure or a temp. sensor?

And if so - can saw or anyone explain how it works - just exactly what is the "trigger" to tell the computer to throw me into "limp mode".

For example, assuming saw's analysis is correct - and it is a PRESSURE issue, dosnt that suggest it is back-pressure from a stuffed-up DPF that is the trigger? And if so, once I delete that code again, if there is no pressure, shouldn't that prevent the computer from putting me back into "limp mode". ?

If I could find one additional sensor in ANY part of the exhaust system from the "header" pipe on down, then we might be looking at a more complex issue.

HELP please - I need my truck useable again - cant use it on "limp mode"; cant get out of its own way even unloaded - towing is out of the question.
Jesus H Christ (my Paw Pa used to say) --- sorry but it is evident that you are clueless and have no test equipment. You bought an old dog just take it in to get it fixed before the spares pipeline dries up on this old girl.

Sorry but that is the long and short of it just suck it up and do it. You are doing nothing but going in circles here. This is unfortunately something you have to learn an expensive lesson on. People like me trade them in for a reason......

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,276 Posts
I am curious to know whether there is any difference in some aspect of their capabilities, and what we have in our light-medium duty trucks.
No, same equipment, just larger DEF tanks to match the larger fuel tanks.

Like I mentioned earlier, they drive 'em different than the grocery getters.
Long hours, long days. That constant hwy op creates a passive regen along the way, extending the mileage between regen cycles.

When you see 'em on the side of the road, it's more likely they're trying to get their 10 in, and are lucking to find a spot to park when the ELD timer is up. 'uhNo

And you think you've got a fear of shut down with yours. :surprise:

·
Registered
219 Posts
. . . . . .
Well, folks - what do you think about "saw's" post? Is that sensor ( the one in the pipe at the end of my CAT, Upstream of the muffler/DPF assembly a PRESSURE or TEMP sensor? So which is it - what tells the computer to throw me into "limp mode" - a pressure or a temp. sensor?

And if so - can saw or anyone explain how it works - just exactly what is the "trigger" to tell the computer to throw me into "limp mode".

For example, assuming saw's analysis is correct - and it is a PRESSURE issue, dosnt that suggest it is back-pressure from a stuffed-up DPF that is the trigger? And if so, once I delete that code again, if there is no pressure, shouldn't that prevent the computer from putting me back into "limp mode". ?

If I could find one additional sensor in ANY part of the exhaust system from the "header" pipe on down, then we might be looking at a more complex issue.

HELP please - I need my truck useable again - cant use it on "limp mode"; cant get out of its own way even unloaded - towing is out of the question.
There are more sensors than what you have found. They are located on the top of the exhaust system. NOx sensors, temp sensors, pressure sensors, etc.

·
Registered
231 Posts
. . . . . . .

Yes, I "get it" - some of these "environment/bunney hugger" types honestly and sincerely believe the world will end in a few years if we don't get rid of diesels. So I suppose that to them...getting a few of us maimed or killed is just acceptable collateral damage.

Some of us feel what they have done to our trucks with this sudden, unexpected "no warning" limp mode is nothing more than attempted murder.

Wow is all I can say.

·
Registered
618 Posts
. . . . . . .

I disagree - in two respects. First of all, if I understand correctly, the commercial DPF's are separate units that can be disassembled for cleaning; elsewhere we see the names of several firms that do that.

In the case of my truck, there is a flange in back of the CAT. That flange bolts up to an entire one-piece unit...from the muffler ( which apparently contains the DPF) clear back to the end of the tail-pipe.) Obviously nothing serviceable.
I said I wasn’t going to participate anymore ;angel

Unhook sensors, Unbolt the flange, go just behind the DPF unit and cut the pipe off, send it to any of the places Busa Dave listed and get it cleaned, front bolts back up, rear goes back with a 4” sleeve and clamps commonly available at ANY commercial truck parts place in the United States of America :thumb. Your welcome, now go away.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,276 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
I said I wasn’t going to participate anymore ;angel

Unhook sensors, Unbolt the flange, go just behind the DPF unit and cut the pipe off, send it to any of the places Busa Dave listed and get it cleaned, front bolts back up, rear goes back with a 4” sleeve and clamps commonly available at ANY commercial truck parts place in the United States of America :thumb. Your welcome, now go away.
Thank You! He is still sitting there wondering how to go about this. :) Simple as I posted above if you do not have the ability to reason 'dunno;and detach the assembly containing the DPF'dunno; and get the DPF cleaned then BUY and new one from GM. It really is just that simple.:grin2:

Poor guy must not know how to do any research on this subject and just keeps going around in circles. I am done..;angel

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would have to disagree with you about the drugs (if you include marijuana which is still illegal here). Every time (not exaggerating - literally every single time) I am on my motorcycle, I smell marijuana smoke coming from one of the vehicles in front of me. Doesn’t matter if I’m on the interstate, riding thru town, or on a back country road headed to the mountains.

I’m sure others that ride will tell you the same.
I live in California. It's legal here. I ride a motorcycle. Lane shaering is legal also.

Probably 2 out of every 15 cars is hotboxing like a mofo on my ride home. They probably figure they might as well, traffic on the freeways is rolling 0-2 mph from 2:30 to 8:30 pm weekdays. 'dunno;

·
Registered
618 Posts
Thank You! He is still sitting there wondering how to go about this. :) Simple as I posted above if you do not have the ability to reason 'dunno;and detach the assembly containing the DPF'dunno; and get the DPF cleaned then BUY and new one from GM. It really is just that simple.:grin2:

Poor guy must not know how to do any research on this subject and just keeps going around in circles. I am done..;angel
I think he was a lawyer during his working days, claimed to be anyway, so there ya go :teehee

·
Registered
33 Posts
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for the easy-to-understand post. Can you or someone else tell me how these sensors relate to the computer programs regarding the DPF?

For example...let's assume some are temp. sensors. What do they sense? Obviously, temperature...and if so, is it reasonable to assume that so long as they don't sense a high temp., they wont "trigger" a sudden and unexpected potentially dangerous "limp"?

Let's assumg some are pressure sensors. What do these sense? Obviously, pressure - but why? Could it be they sense back-pressure resulting from a clogged up DPF...and if that is so...assuming we remove the back-pressure...they wont "trigger' a sudden and unexpected potentially dangerous "limp"?

Let's assume one is a NOX sensor. If that is a reasonable assumption, isn't it the CAT, rather than the DPF, that reduces NOX? And if that is correct, then removing DPF restrictions shouldn't set it off ?
I'm not meaning to flame you here, but it seems counterproductive for you to ask the same questions here that could have been answered by a forum or internet search. For the sake of brevity, I'll give you the info, so you can stop asking the same questions over and over and serving up attitude when you don't get the answers you want. If you have any more questions after this, I suggest using an internet search tool such as duckduckgo or bing or google.

Pressure sensors: Sense pressure before and after the DPF.
Temp sensor: Senses temp at the DPF.

You're thinking these systems are much simpler than they are. The PCM knows what the pressure differential should be across the DPF for different parameter combinations such as throttle opening, boost pressure, fuel volume, air volume, and how long it's been (time/mileage) since the last regen, and if the pressure differential is too low (such as if you were to gut the DPF) it will set a code. If the pressure is too high, it will set a code. The system is designed to monitor the operation of the emissions systems, and raise a flag if an issue is found that would result in higher emissions. This includes cases where someone has tampered with a part of the system.

If the temp is too low at the DPF during regen (such as if you were to gut the DPF), the PCM will know and set a code. Now, other causes may set the same code, such as the HCI not delivering enough fuel to regen the DPF, which is why technicians are paid to test and repair these systems.

Unfortunately, too many shade tree mechanics don't bother to do the necessary research before attempting repairs, so they often wind up spending way more money than if they had gone to a competent mechanic in the first place, or worse, wind up damaging parts and having to replace those as well as the original cause of the problem they were trying to fix.

The NOx sensor doesn't have anything to do with the DPF, but you stated there was only the sensor you had found, and it was pointed out to you that you had missed several, and those were shown to you and identified for you, for your education.

Cliff notes: you can go ahead and gut the DPF, but if you expect your truck to run well after you do, you'll be in for a surprise.

·
Registered
618 Posts
6686L, I give up, people have tried to help you, including myself, and all you want to do is pick apart their advice and talk down to people from your soapbox. If that’s what helps you get through the day then go for it Scooter. I started to tell you how you could very easily, and for less than $900 and about 30 minutes with basic hand tools, get rid of your dpf & def systems, better mileage, and have a little more oomph for towing that big ass boat of yours around but I think I’ll just plead the 5th. You would probably wind up filing some kind of lawsuit against the tuner when your brake pads wear out. To quote Bob Lee Swagger, “I’m out Old Man”

Now where’s that ignore button??'dunno;

·
Registered
576 Posts
6686L, I give up, people have tried to help you, including myself, and all you want to do is pick apart their advice and talk down to people from your soapbox. If that’s what helps you get through the day then go for it Scooter. I started to tell you how you could very easily, and for less than $900 and about 30 minutes with basic hand tools, get rid of your dpf & def systems, better mileage, and have a little more oomph for towing that big ass boat of yours around but I think I’ll just plead the 5th. You would probably wind up filing some kind of lawsuit against the tuner when your brake pads wear out. To quote Bob Lee Swagger, “I’m out Old Man”

Now where’s that ignore button??'dunno;
When I see him get on a thread...

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Again, thanks thanks thanks...cant thank you guys enough. Your outstanding posts underscore the value of this site; make it well worth the time filtering thru the pathetic posts of those who need the Internet to demonsrtate their frustrations with how they think the world is treating them.
You can start thanking us by using the search function, instead of being lazy and demanding everyone else spoon-feed you information that's readily available everywhere, including this forum. The real value of this forum resides in the search function, all the questions you asked have been previously answered multiple times.

As a side note, the cracks about me driving a Prius underscores what a sad life some of these folks have. And how incapable they are of comprehending anything outside their bitter world.

Anyone capable of thinking thru beyond their personal frustrations
would recognize a Prius is a low-slung two wheel drive, that would "hi center" and thus be useless in the areas where some of us live.

So I wasted my time in explaining our "daily driver" is a RAV 4, which has both four wheel drive ( REAL four wheel drive, including the ability to "lock up" the center differential ) has "towing hooks" both front & rear, and, of course, is high enough off the ground so as not to get 'hi centered" on what passes for roads out here. My questions & comments are obviously irrelevant to these pathetic creatures; serve only as a vehicle for them to mouth-off about their personal hostility issues.
One could say the exact same same thing about your attitude. Glass houses and all that... our answers were obviously irrelevant to the pathetic creature asking them, and served only as a vehicle for you to mouth off about your personal hostility issues because you didn't like the answer that you couldn't just gut the DPF and fix all of your problems.

If that dosnt work, my local GM dealer's people (who "off-the-record have confirmed what so many of you have said about "deletes")
Yeah, sure they did. That's why you wasted a week on this site instead of just accepting that the answer wasn't what you wanted it to be.

I own an LBZ, so none of this applies to me. It took me less than half an hour to learn everything I posted above, and most of it came from a post on this forum. Hopefully you'll think about how ignorant that makes you look before posting your next question.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Man, I just got my L5P last week (with 50k on it), and now this...ugh. Bad timing for my first diesel? I turned 50, and said "F" it, I'm going to buy what I want....also so that I can haul the equipment that I recently purchased. I was really hoping to move that DEF tank.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Man, I just got my L5P last week (with 50k on it), and now this...ugh. Bad timing for my first diesel? I turned 50, and said "F" it, I'm going to buy what I want....also so that I can haul the equipment that I recently purchased. I was really hoping to move that DEF tank.
Your l5p will haul everything and more that you like. They are great trucks. Most emissions problems have been resolved by this generation. Don't let that bull headed poster above get you down on the truck.

I tried to stay out of this thread the entire time, but the last thing that needs to happen is for someone to think these are not top of the line trucks just because of what one guy can't seem to wrap his head around.

$h!t happens, dude. Time to get over it and accept reality.

I, like you, enjoyed the idea of deleting someday, but those days are quickly coming to a close.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Spend some time doing some research and you'll be alright :thumbsup

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm not meaning to flame you here, but it seems counterproductive for you to ask the same questions here that could have been answered by a forum or internet search. For the sake of brevity, I'll give you the info, so you can stop asking the same questions over and over and serving up attitude
………………………………………………………………………………………….
Again, thank you for your great post. Informative posts like yours make it well-worth tolerating the silly childish hostility stuff.

In response to your comment I most certain did search the issue that "Mickey" proposed; could not find an answer.

You & some of your buddies may be under the misunderstanding that this site is just for you and your "clique" of buddies to exchange pleasantries; not to be bothered with us who need help and may not be as skilled as you in knowing how to do research. Yes, you would do well to IGNORE anyone who needs help.

My recommendation is you head down to your local "patience" store and order a re-fill - and, while you are there, see if the "good manners" store across the street can help you re-stock your inventory in that regard.
We have no problem helping people who have performed a minimum amount of legwork before asking questions, if you do a little reading you'll see examples of that in almost every thread. People who come on here with an attitude like yours because others don't give them the answer they want to hear get their attitude reflected back at them. Remember the Golden Rule.

As far as patience and good manners; once again, if the shoe fits, lace that b!tch up and parade around in it! I certainly showed a lot more patience and good manners with you than you showed to anyone here, I gathered all the info and spoon-fed it to you like you were a toddler, because that's exactly what you act like.

Pro Tip: When you think everyone else is being an asshole to you, it's time to look in the mirror. I wouldn't expect a toddler to have that knowledge, that's why I'm providing it to you.

121 - 140 of 172 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.