Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be way off but i see everyone spending so much money on exhaust systems, 900.00 here, 850.00 there, all i did was to cut off the stock muffler and just put a 3 " tube in its place, lots of power and not much louder.

Just a thought and thanks for your time

Magoo

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i did the same thing on my 06 2500HD LBZ it got the job done,but i had to have a bigger tail pipe so i put a 5" turbo back exhaust on,that thing screams

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a friend who has the same truck as i do (well to tell you the truth i have 3 duramax trucks and one old faithful 94 6.5) and he purchased a Gale banks cat back system and i just about fell when i heard how much he paid for it, little over 900.00, oh i'm sure there are some of you who paid alot less but thats what he paid for his and to tell you the truth, mind out pulls his, out runs his and when we hook up the toy haulers to go off roading in the desert, i still out pull him. No theres nothing wrong with his truck, i own a trucking co. and an RV shop, i have a dyno here to tune the semi's and we run a truck or 2 per week, his is running fine however like i said, all i did was run a stock 3" pipe in place of the muffler and that made her run real nice.

Just my thoughts and not trying to change anyone's mind on what to do but i see so many trucks go through my diesel shop with so much stuff on them and ,well from my point of view i love it because theres alway something breaking down and i get to repair there mess ups, however i don't see much problem with the duramax as much as i see with the Power Stroke's and Dodge cummin's that have mods done to them

Thanks for your time

Magoo

·
Registered
33 Posts
How about losing the cat too? any lights, other problems?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
How about losing the cat too? any lights, other problems?
i never did on any of my trucks...the one has single 5" turbo back and the other truck has a dual 4" turbo back..no kittys or mufflers:fart :rockin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have never had a issue with the dealers, i had a warr. issue that my duramax not driving right, took it in and i was asked if i had a chip in it,nope,have i modified anything, nope, i told them that the only thing i have done to her was i cut the muffler off and they said that that was not a problem. now cutting off the cat, thats up to you but i think the cost of that ticket would not be worth it to me.

Magoo

·
Registered
72 Posts
I picked up a 5" turbo back kit on ebay for $255 plus shipping. Cause it has a 4" downpipe, I think I'll modify my kitty and leave it as a dummy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's agreat idea! sounds like a helluva deal on the exhaust.

·
Smoke. It's what's cookin
2,934 Posts
I got my Silverline for about $600. I just don't like how the straights sound on a v8 diesel. I like mine. It has a good tone and no drone in the cab at interstate speed. I put on a full 4" and got rid of the cat.

Ryan

·
Registered
300 Posts
I picked up a 5" turbo back kit on ebay for $255 plus shipping. Cause it has a 4" downpipe, I think I'll modify my kitty and leave it as a dummy.
I also got mine off ebay. ONly thing is its 4" from the turbo back as they call it. Sounds good and thought it was reasonably priced. I change my exhaust so often and am broke most of the time i couldnt see spending 600$ on an exhaust

·
Dmax 4M 4EVER!
53 Posts
Do you get the flowmaster drone?

I did get it on now that the snow melted. Left the kitty off, and the 5" straight sounds great!
I wanna install straight pipe, but I heard the diesels drone and I dont want that at all... I'd rather listen to my tunes....
Man, and I am a hardcore gearhead.... I guess its just part of growing up:rockin

Not long ago I could care less if my rig had a radio, as long as it had open pipes....LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts