Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck started flickering low oil pressure today. The needle would bounce around wildly causing the truck alarm and then go right back off. I pulled over turn the truck off and check the oil it looked fine and did not have any white at all. I went home and changed the oil just to be safe and now I have no oil pressure at all. It starts up just fine and sounds normal.

Before all this I noticed the needle was acting weird getting stuck.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
189 Posts
My oil pressure gauge bounces quite a bit but still stay in the area where the pressure is. If that makes any sense. I would see if you can plum a mechanical gauge in some where. Maybe on the oil filter housing. Just to make sure you either dont have oil pressure and the gauge is accurate. Or you have oil pressure and the gauge is lying.

Kmac

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
I have had an instances when the oil pump drive shaft nut backed loose causing the oil pressure to drop and loose it altogether so def plumb in a line to verify oil pressure. James

·
Registered
357 Posts
You sure your gauge isn't just messed up I've had to change the dash in my truck because the oil press's gauge quit working and the speedometer would go crazy. I'd check it with a manual gauge

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you find any thing? My gauge is bouncing all over the place and sending "low pressure chimes". My mechanic put a mechanical gauge on and said I have good oil pressure. Changed the sensor, twice actually, and the pig tail that connects the sensor. Didn't change anything. He is thinking there is a short somewhere in the wiring harness from the sensor to the computer and was wanting to change it. Any ideas on where a common short may happen?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts