Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I’m new here but happy there’s a forum and help with questions,
So the other day my wife took our 2019 3500 Silverado to the dealer for an oil change and a fuel filter change, they called and said it was ready to go, so she went there they handed her the keys and off she went, not long into the drive the low oil pressure came on, she was in traffic and couldn’t pull over right away, when she finally did it shut off, come to find out it had no oil, the dealer came and put about two full jugs of oil in it, it started but low power and some noise, about two miles in total, so thinking a new motor? Oh and had only 16k on it :(

· Registered
2019 3500HD High Country DRW 4x4
130 Posts
Oh boy... I would settle for nothing less than a new motor. While the truck is getting fixed they should give you a loaner also. What do dealerships usually do in these situations? I wouldn't deal with the "it wasn't driven long enough to cause damage" crap they're going to try. What a major phuck up! Good luck and hope it works out.

· Registered
2014 3500HD SRW 4x4
288 Posts
So the other day my wife took our 2019 3500 Silverado to the dealer for an oil change and a fuel filter change, they called and said it was ready to go, so she went there they handed her the keys and off she went, not long into the drive the low oil pressure came on, she was in traffic and couldn’t pull over right away, when she finally did it shut off, come to find out it had no oil, the dealer came and put about two full jugs of oil in it, it started but low power and some noise, about two miles in total, so thinking a new motor? Oh and had only 16k on it :(
Open a case with GM on it. Make sure the dealer isn’t the only party you’re dealing with. They owe you a motor at a min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
4,093 Posts
New motor and an additional warranty to cover future electronic issues caused by incompetent "mechanics". Settle for nothing less!

Reactions: Brentmartell

· Administrator
3,295 Posts
Hello and welcome. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
As already said, do not trust the dealer at this point. Open up a case with GM/Chevy corporate and make sure the dealership documents properly what happened. They need to put in writing they didn't put oil in the truck. Sadly, I think you're in for an ordeal.
This is just another example of why I do my own maintenance.
Good luck.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for your replies, should here tomorrow as they will have there diesel guy check it out, and get back to us, not expecting good news, also we are suppose to leave Saturday to pick up a 40ft fifth wheel a 3400 mile round trip, I’ll keep you guys updated thanks again for your advice:)

· Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Cooper Rugged Trek, Paragon Bed Cover
4,275 Posts
I don't think your trip to pick up the 5th wheel is going to happen. If the truck was making noise and put itself into limp mode I don't know how the prognosis could be good.

· Registered
2,052 Posts
Could it have just gone into limp mode due to extended time with no oil pressure? Surely that trips a limp mode.

But yeah, if it's noisy after it was started that can't be good. Sadly, I've seen similar situations where nothing was changed out because nothing had "failed" yet. I'd be loaded for bear, document everything.

I'm thinking ask for trade assistance then let them worry about how the 2019 gets fixed.

Good luck man.

· Registered
685 Posts
Bad deal and feel for you.
Guessing this isn't going to go smoothly or take place in a timely manner!
Wouldn't settle for a rebuilt motor at all. New motor or better yet trade on a new one IF you can find one.
Document, document, and document some more. They have insurance for this happening.
When I owned a service station my insurance for failing to put fluids back in a vehicle was around 90 a year. Couldn't afford not to have it, just in case we would of had a brain fart.

· Registered
120 Posts
Agreed on a brand spanking new engine at least. You should be provided a loaner to get camper or GM should foot the bill to have it hauled due to being planned before their f’up. I would push the trade to equal truck, if you can’t change oil how you gonna swap a motor?

· Registered
2,806 Posts
subbed to see how they wear this one....

At least wifey was safe. My friend left the Mazda dealer after an oil change on her RX8. Thankfully her father was driving because they didnt put the cap back on under the hood. Welp, its a helluva merge on to a highway as soon as you get out of the driveway...significantly increased the value of that RX8 😂😂

needless to say she got a brandy new Mazda 3 Sport out of it

· Registered
22 Posts
As mentioned above, this is EXACTLY why I do ALL of my own work.

If work is done by the dealer, or any third parts, for god's sake check the work before you drive off the lot! Two minutes to check the dipstick would have saved a ton of heartache! Trust but verify!!!

You're going to want to contact a lawyer over this one...

· Registered
685 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to name the dealer and town so others that are local to this know and can decide on their own if they want to do business there.

· Registered
131 Posts
Wow but not surprised. It's usually a teenager changing oil on the low buck plan.

You won't get a new L5P imo, not without a fight. Maybe a reman but that's jmo from previous experience. Dealer should be all over this but we are talking about a dealer..

Noise means hurt, end of story. No bs about residual oil hanging around or film on the bearings either. Anything rotating is toast including the turbo. Settle for no less.

Good luck and keep us posted.

· Registered
52 Posts
Something fishy here. Their argument here will be why didn’t she see the low/no pressure warning before she left dealer? My question is why didn’t the porter see the warning when he/she started it up to bring around? Every oil change no matter what it is the engine will be started and let idle until the filter is pressurized and needle jumps up. So many questions and no answers that make sense. Be ready for a long ordeal.

· Registered
2007 Silverado CCSB 4X4 LBZ 6sp
173 Posts
Thank you guys for your replies, should here tomorrow as they will have there diesel guy check it out, and get back to us, not expecting good news, also we are suppose to leave Saturday to pick up a 40ft fifth wheel a 3400 mile round trip, I’ll keep you guys updated thanks again for your advice:)
I will tell them that and tell them you need to have a truck with a hitch to go
Pick it up. They screwed up and it’s not your fault
They didn’t fill her up with oil. I would make sure
You get a rental that will do what you had planned already

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.