Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just added a 5th wheel plug in truck bed on my 05 2500...

everything is working except the all time power to keep the trailer batterys charged.. can't find any fuse [should be one somewhere] for the 12v to the trailer.... Any ideas where????

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
In the fuse panel under the hood. I can't remember 100% but I think you have to hook up the wire to one of the auxiliary lugs and install a fuse.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Fuse box under the hood. Mine had a dummy fuse in it's place. Swapped out with a real fuse and everything worked great.
It is located at the front corner nearest the engine. Labeled "Stud #1"

Chris Sr.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Make sure the charge wire is hooked up. They do not come hooked up from the factory and a lot of hitch installers dont do it either.
Its that cord thats wrapped up
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Someone called for stud #1.......lol....I'm going to hooking up for the first time when I get home as well......wondering what I'll find they did for the 7-pin and brake controller in 13.......

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Make sure the charge wire is hooked up. They do not come hooked up from the factory and a lot of hitch installers dont do it either.
Its that cord thats wrapped up
I'll check that out tomorrow and find the #1 stud and get a fuse in it...

Any guess's on what size fuse should be used for this power wire??/?

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
I'll check that out tomorrow and find the #1 stud and get a fuse in it...

Ya know I just hooked it up better go check that. Should be 30 amp because that's what trailer batts are I believe. I had 60 amp on my work truck, but that was hooked up to the tool box, air compressor, Genny, and the trailer and it still blew. LOL. 30 should be fine.

·
Registered
607 Posts
It wasn't till 07 that you had to hook up any wires and I believe it's a 40 amp for stud 1 and a 30 amp for stud 2 (stud 2 should already have a fuse).

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
It's a square green 40a fuse. On your '05, it came from the factory with a red plastic 'fake' fuse in the uppermost left hand slot....it was hidden under a paper label in that area. This old now, the paper probably fell off.

It wasn't till 07 that you had to hook up any wires...
They started that with the NBS trucks, when they also offered the IBC as an option, having both the aux feed wire and the aux brake controller feed for adding a conventional trailer controller.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
It's a square green 40a fuse. On your '05, it came from the factory with a red plastic 'fake' fuse in the uppermost left hand slot....it was hidden under a paper label in that area. This old now, the paper probably fell off.

They started that with the NBS trucks, when they also offered the IBC as an option, having both the aux feed wire and the aux brake controller feed for adding a conventional trailer controller.
Yep, this guy knows his stuff, trust me he helped me figure out WTF was wrong with mine.

The newer ones come hooked up and they also come wired for an aftermarket controller but that wire is not hooked up, just taped up beside the under hood fuse box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts