Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short I changed my starter for a new one. The old one brackets broke off and the starte fell out cuz it was missing one bolt already and too much strain on just the other and snapped the bracket. Everything was working fine before that so I decided to just get a new starter cuz it was the original. So after installing the new starter it won’t crank and the starter won’t even spin. I’m barely getting any power at all to anything besides some dash lights, my HVAC system will turn on, radio, headlights and taillights and a few others work. My power windows, power locks, dome lights, dinging when the door is open and pretty much everything else isn’t working. My fuel pump turns on but not getting any kind of crank at all. Also under the PNDM 1 the little line isn’t under any of them when I put into another gear. My batteries are good, grounds are clean, battery terminals and wires are good, and I even swapped out the new starter for another one thinking that might of been the problem. I’ve tried quite a few different things but nothing has worked so far and I’m at a complete loss of what it could be. I can’t afford to take it to a shop right now to get it repaired and need it back running asap! Any help will be much appreciated!

· Registered
182 Posts
Double check connections at starter. Follow the wires back and make sure nothing came loose when the old fell out . Unhook batteries for a half hour when you reinstall them make sure they're tight, these trucks like a tight connection otherwise it will throw fits. Double check charge on batts as well, if you have a charger than charge them up while you're waiting for the reset.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Double check connections at starter. Follow the wires back and make sure nothing came loose when the old fell out . Unhook batteries for a half hour when you reinstall them make sure they're tight, these trucks like a tight connection otherwise it will throw fits. Double check charge on batts as well, if you have a charger than charge them up while you're waiting for the reset.
I checked the wires to make sure nothing burnt or nothing came unplugged. The batteries are charged and I’ve had both batteries unhooked for 50 mins so far. Was waiting for an hour to see if that does anything. I just don’t understand how there’s power to some stuff but not to everything

· Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
2,479 Posts
Does yours have the fuseable links on the passenger side battery post?
That’s exactly what i was gonna mention. When the starter fell out it shorted out hot cable and blew the mega fuse fastened to the front of cab by pass battery. That might also explain why no power to some things.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Use a hand held starter button that hooks to starter. Or use a test light to verify you have power on solenoid when you are in the crank position.
I did touch the two posts on the starter with a screw driver really quick and it turns. Shouldn’t I still have full power of everything like windows, locks, dome lights, etc since I have other stuff that comes on like headlights, radio, some dash lights? Also I unhooked the batteries for an hour and now I’m getting a ding from the door being open and didn’t before but it’s only like 4-6 dings then none after that unless I turn the key off and on again.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s exactly what i was gonna mention. When the starter fell out it shorted out hot cable and blew the mega fuse fastened to the front of cab by pass battery. That might also explain why no power to some things.
I haven’t seen or didn’t know there was a mega fuse but I’ll definitely check to see if there today after the rain goes away. I’m really hoping that’s it cuz we can’t figure it out and should be something simple. Nothing can ever be easy haha. Thanks

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also I forgot to mention when I first turn the key to the on position the only thing that comes on in the whole truck is the glow plug indicator on the dash and stays on for like 5-10 seconds then the other stuff comes on. My ABS light stays on also and no indicator line under the PRND 1. Also says check trailer brakes system and when I checked for any codes the glow plug #2 is low or something like that.

· Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
2,479 Posts
this is the mega fuse correct? Do I replace the whole thing?
View attachment 1100915
Yes that is it. Take a test light and make sure you have power on the side facing driver of all the fuses. Another question is i guess you hooked up the small wire to the starter? Also when the starter fell out were you trying to start it or was it started and running?

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes that is it. Take a test light and make sure you have power on the side facing driver of all the fuses. Another question is i guess you hooked up the small wire to the starter? Also when the starter fell out were you trying to start it or was it started and running?
I tested all the post on the mega fuse and all said 12.5v. The starter didn’t actually fall all the way out but was barely hanging in there but when I went to move it then it fell and sparked so guess the two wires touched. It wasn’t started tho but was started like 15 mins before. I was just dropping the dump trailer to go pick up the other trailer. Before I took out the starter I had all lights and everything and then when I put the new starter in is when I started having this problem. I even thought it could’ve been a bad new starter but got another one and still same issues

· Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
2,479 Posts
Use the rest light and now check all fuses under hood and inside cab with switch on.. sounds like just maybe when it shorted out a fuse blown.
X2 to this. Its time to start checking fuses under hood.

· Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
2,479 Posts
Something is definitely fishy but at this point I’m not sure what to tell you besides try some other batteries just for anyhow.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.