Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Silverado 2500HD crew and a CST 6" lift with 35" tires installed after 5000 miles. I now have 52,000 on her. Never had any issues with the 4wd system until I was in heavy rain a couple months ago traveling about 40mph and switched in to 4 high. I heard a terrible roaring sound and vibration.

I don't use 4wd much, maybe 5 times for short periods off road and a few wet road launches about a year ago. I don't beat this thing up, she's a pavement princess.

I took it to the dealer to have it checked out while in Jonesboro, Ga and they said it was the driveshaft angle without doing anything but driving it down the road. Well, the lift has been on for 45,000 miles and never had this happen before. Don't take modified vehicles to Terry Cullen Chevrolet. They have been instructed by the owner to just blame it on the mods and send you on your way. (the owner told me about this himself)

I checked my service records to find it was time to change fluids in the front axle and the transfer case. I had the front axle fluid changed and still vibrating and roaring. Next I'll change the transfer case oil.

Anybody had this type of vibration or roaring sound?:help

·
Registered
699 Posts
i don't know if this will help you any but my wifes bone stock 07 new body k1500 z71 had a hell of a wine, humming, sound in 4h locked in 1st only under load "making the front end pull its weight" and after many trips to the dealer they found a tcase control module update and wow it sounds normal, just saying ask specifically for them to look for things like that. also try putting your truck in neutral w/the e brake on and check every 4x4 moving part for slack, but honestly the dealer is probably kinda right, to much angle but on the cv shafts, they really need to be pretty straight across to run higher speeds now with the lift, but its better to check everything including nuts and bolts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I have got under to check for play in the u joints, but not while ingaged. I guess I'll put a touque wrench to the bolts, while I'm under there.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Check your wheel bearings mabye?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Take it to another dealership.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
:helpYeah, gotta try another dealership. If it is caused by the lift components, it still has to be fixed. I tried wiggling, turning and pushing things around, but nothing unusual. :help

GM has always made sure I was happy. Some dealers on the other hand........

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
It's not the bearings if it only does it in 4x4.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Only acting up in 4x4 really narrows it down to the t-case. Check the fluid level

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's kinda what I thought. I'm not expeienced with 4wd stuff, but this makes sense. Now to find a good dealer in the South Atlanta area. Man, wish I was home to have this taken care of.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, the other dealer says it's in the front axle and it would be $250 to pull it apart to check it out and anywhere from $600 - $2700 to fix it. Of course, GM says it's not covered in warranty because the lift voids it.:booboo

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Axles are cheap, and fairly easy to change. You can pick one up at any parts house for about $100. If you can't do it yourself, find a local shop and have them do it, labor shouldn't be to bad, maybe $100-$150 :drink

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I spoke with CST lifts and they said If I needed a driveshaft, It would have been noticable right away. Not after 45,000 miles. I think I'm gonna have to open up the diff. to see what's going on.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the fronts gears weren't locking in completely. I changed the fluid and drove it in 2wd for about 1000 miles. Of course, it was never a problem in 2 wheel. Then, a snow and ice storm hit Atlanta. I had to get to the jobsite and tried 4WD. Perfectly normal! :confused:

I tried it on wet pavement at about 40mph tonight, just to see what happens. Again, perfect. :rockin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts