Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first diesel and have some questions about it and what to do to with it. It is a 2004 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually with the Banks Six Gun (6 position selector) with banks exhaust and gauges. It has 150,000 miles, is loaded with everything from the factory, and is in imaculate condition. I picked it up for 10,000 dollars, I felt it was a pretty good deal after looking into them. It needed new injectors and the guy was upside down in the loan so he sold it to me for what he owed. It is currently getting new injectors installed, thanks to Lincoln Diesel Specialties.

The first question I have is about the tranny. I have read everything I can about the Banks Six Gun and from what I hear, even though it comes with all this protection, it will still limp the tranny with the speed loader. So my question is, should I just run the hell out of it until I smoke the tranny and then do a rebuild, or should I go ahead and do the transgo upgrade? Also if I do the transgo upgrade should I install the converter flow valve and the clutch control valve? Would this be fine for power and future upgrades? If I need to do a tranny rebuild is a level 4 rebuild kit good?

Next, I keep reading about pump rub, is this something that I need to worry about with the mods that I have or is this only for the high hp trucks? Is this something that is like the injectors that is eventually going to happen in time?

Do I need an Air Dog or Fass fuel pump for what I have, or are those only for future big hp upgrades?

Mods I plan to do right away are a Stage 3 Rick's custom intake, Profab intake horn, Profab downpipe, PPE Boost Increase Valve, and maybe a 5 inch exhaust instead of the 4 inch Banks I already have.

The truck is primarily going to be used to pull my boat and a weekend fun toy. The boat was going to be my winter project but I believe I just picked up a new fun project.

Thanks in advance for the advice. :drink This forum is great and I have already found so many great DIY mods to do once I have the time.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
the transgo jr does no good on the 5spd allisons. The transgo is good, but you have to pull the trans to install it so it isn't worth the effort at that point to not get your transmission built since it doesn't provide that much of a difference. A level 4 kit will be good for you, they are quite strong indeed. Pump rub is an all the time thing, doesn't matter how much power you have. Merchant auto carries the best fix kit imho. Allisons are good until about 80-100hp above stock, then you are going to start limping it, primarily around the 4-5 and 5-4 shifts, as this is their weak link with that much power.

As far as lift pumps i would suggest getting an air dog II 165 for its added filtration. You are going to want to take care of those new injectors, and filtration is absolutely key. I would suggest the air dog and a nicktane setup with cat filter as a matter of fact, plus running an additive. i use stanadyne, but search around for what you feel is best.

4" is plenty fine, the only thing 5" nets you is deeper sound, no performance gains whatsoever as far as exhaust is concerned.

i think that answers your questions, but i might have missed some..

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
ok so im assuing this IS NOT a LLY
1, first off ditch the banks get EFI you will hear it a lot here and its the shit....
2. yeah smoke that tranny up if thats what you want to do.... the transgo and all that crap doesnt do anything to the 5 speeds
i think the air dog will be good only once you get EFI.....
3. Pump Rub. i am currently investigating this with my old Boss so idunno.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
oh yea air dog for sure DUH :cookoo[1]::cookoo[1]::cookoo[1]: filtration

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks so far, so an Air Dog II 165 is on the list now.

Is it any worse to drive it until the tranny gives and then do the rebuild, as opposed to just going ahead and doing the tranny upgrade before it goes?

If I go with the EFI live later down there road, which I feel this is a must now, would I need to go higher than a Level 4 tranny build up? How much will a level 4 hold power wise?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts