Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gents. I'm new to the diesel world. Just bought a 2011 Z71 SBCC, black paint with black leather. I wish I had done more research and gotten a 2010 or older so I don't have to deal with this UREA crap. Truck gets horrible fuel mileage. Just took a 1800 mile road trip and averaged 16.5 on the highway. I look to fo the DPF/EGR and urea delete soon with just a stock setting on my programmer as to not junk my warranty.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Those were pictures from the day I bought it. I've made a few mods so far and the truck really pops. I plan on removing every bit of chrome the truck has.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is my hope. I probably wont change out my wheels or tires till these BFG's are gone though.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Clean rig, hope she treats you right. Please update your signature w/ your trucks current mods so we can better help you in the future.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
Welcome to DF.

If you remove emissions equip you void your warranty. You have the best year if you want to keep warranty, LMM got worst mileage and didn't have a 9th injector for regen..

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm no lawyer, and I'm not gonna argue with. But I know how the Magnuson-Moss act works. A dealer cannot deny your claim unless what you did caused the issue.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
I'm no lawyer, and I'm not gonna argue with. But I know how the Magnuson-Moss act works. A dealer cannot deny your claim unless what you did caused the issue.
The problem is a tuner is required to remove the exhaust which will cause them to void your warranty.

If you had failure that was obvious defect, they would cover it, but the problem is GM has lawyers and engineers that will convince a jury that your mods caused the failure. They can't see that you left it stock, just that the ECM engine parameters show a non-approved CVN #.

I have heard of someone who tried to fight GM with this law.

IIRC he had to buy a second truck and let his first truck sir at a dealer while he paid all legal expenses up front to fight GM. In the end he did win, but it wasn't worth it. Do you have the time and financial resources to replace your truck and front 5 years of legal fees?

You also might want to read your paperwork carefully, I had to sign something when I bought my truck saying my warranty would be void if I modified my exhaust on my 09.

A tuner has the potential to change the operating characteristics of your engine and trans which in turn can be attributed to most failures. There is a clear document put out by GM and they are voiding warranties on vehicles that have been modified with tuners. 07.5 and newer ECMs and TCMs track flashing and tunes in multiple ways, screen shots are required by GM on certain failures which means the dealer can no longer slide it in under the table.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn, I did sign something I think. FML. I hope this thing starts to get better fuel mileage.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
Read this.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2001-2007-5-gmt800-non-powertrain/72038-we-screwed.html

In the majority of these cases, the Fixed Operations Manager (FOM) (in Canada, Warranty Manager) should be contacted and the remaining portion of the powertrain portion of the New Vehicle Warranty blocked.
We have had members run into issues where the remaining portion of their warranty was blocked / voided. GM can and will void your warranty, so if you decide to remove you emissions equipment, plan on not having a warranty.

I chose to void mine as many of us have.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
Damn, I did sign something I think. FML. I hope this thing starts to get better fuel mileage.
What are you seeing? You should be seeing around 14-16 mpg city and 17-21 mph freeway. The LML has been reported to get pretty decent mileage by many of the members.

Might try other gas stations, fuel treatment, etc..

How many miles do you have?

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just went from Houston to Fort Stockton and back for dove season and averaged 16.5 MPG. I think I've got like 2200 miles on it. I want the exhaust and tuner, but not a giant tune. I just want my truck to breath and sound like a diesel. I don't want to roll coal or anything like that. I used to think it was cool when I was 20, but now it just pisses me off when I see that stuff.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
I just went from Houston to Fort Stockton and back for dove season and averaged 16.5 MPG. I think I've got like 2200 miles on it. I want the exhaust and tuner, but not a giant tune. I just want my truck to breath and sound like a diesel. I don't want to roll coal or anything like that. I used to think it was cool when I was 20, but now it just pisses me off when I see that stuff.
You will get along with us great, those coal rollers had a huge impact on us and now we have these DPFs installed on our truck.

H&S is the only tuning option to delete the DPF and SCR at this time, but as stated it will void your warranty. I'd personally wait till you hit 20k miles to make sure you don't have a lemon before even considering dumping the warranty.

Once the DPF/Cat/SCR are gone, your truck will feel like a completely new truck though.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I might just wait until I get about 50K on it an see if anything is going wrong before I mess with it. That'd be a long time with no warranty on a brand new truck.
FML

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
20K sounds better. My buddy just bought a brand new one and did the DPF delete and tune with only like 150 miles on it. All I can say is WOW!

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
20K sounds better. My buddy just bought a brand new one and did the DPF delete and tune with only like 150 miles on it. All I can say is WOW!
My tuck spent a lot of time in the shop till I hit a little over 25k miles, since then I've had no issues.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My tuck spent a lot of time in the shop till I hit a little over 25k miles, since then I've had no issues.
That is really discouraging considering you pay $50K for a truck that is supposed to be awesome.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Welcome to the DF

Sent from my DROIDX

1 - 20 of 34 Posts