Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do most of the Ally's run on a hot day pushing 75mph or so? Mine was around 200 and some oil (filled too much) out the vent. The past owner had about 2 quarts too much in it. What fluid should I run in it? It had Amsoil but the dealer said it calls for Dextron III. Thanks for any help. Please email me with fluid suggestions asap, changing tomorrow. ([email protected])

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think if the dealer says thats what it takes that is probably it, I think 180-200 is a good range, try not to run auto tranny with to much oil to much it will burn them up after awhile

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
Well, I don't have much experience with a hot day up here in Alaska, but when I drive from faibanks to anchorage in the summer (about 70-80 degrees out), mine usually runs about 140-150 degree range. If I am in the city or pulling hills a lot, I will see 180-210. If your torque converter is locked up, it should settle at a decent temp until you get back in the city. As far as fluid, anything that is dextron III rated or higher is good. I am running Mobil 1 sythetic in mine with no problems. A lot of other guys use transynd (allision synthetic fluid). I would just make sure you change your spin-on filter between 5000-10000 miles. It is easy to do and cheap insurance on your tranny.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Over filling is not good because when the fluid level gets too high the planetary gears are submerged in fluid and they begin to churn the fluid causing bubbles ( airation, too much air in the lubricating fluid ). We need pure fluid in the trans without air. Air does not cool or lubricate trans internaly at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts