Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • Truck seat covers are up to 76% off right now on eBay. Click here for Black! Tan! Multi-coloured! even Camo!
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have owned many HD 3/4 tons and 1 ton F350 in the past.
I don't remember hating them as much as I hate driving this 22 Denali 3500.
I am about 10 months into owning the truck
Had it leveled, new upper control arms, Fuel wheels, Nitto Ridge Grappler 35 x 11.50 - 20
Dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow for an oil change and tire rotation.
This truck is stiff and bouncy, feels like the tires are out of round or out of balance.
It is not a pleasure to drive. Every truck I have owned has been leveled with custom wheels and tires.
I am hoping this is just a tire issue. I drove my 2015 2500 Denali for 7 years and didn't really have any complaints.
Is there any hope? looking for insight before I become irrational and just trade it in.
11,000 miles
View attachment 1105377
Put it back stock and enjoy the ride!

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Cooper Rugged Trek, Paragon Bed Cover
3,879 Posts
Looks like I missed the fun again. The internet always brings out the best that society has to offer....

Guys, everyone with a brain understands a stock truck will almost always ride better than its lifted counterpart. This poster is asking for feedback on why his lifted truck isn't riding as well as previous GM trucks he has lifted.

If your only comment is to tell him that he shouldn't have lifted the truck in the first place, you're not helping the conversation along. Again, that is your personal opinion. Some of us are willing to sacrifice a little ride quality for the sake of appearances that are appealing to us. That is what I meant by saying "Your opinion, not your truck".

OP, I still think your best course to take is to first get some different shocks on the truck. Rancho, Fox, or Bilstein are the big 3 folks talk about on here. Someone else also mentioned King in this thread.

Along with that I'd try running a lower psi in your tires to get some of the bounce out from those. I personally like 60 in the front and 65 in the rear, but I'm running 305/55r20 F rated tires. I don't remember reading what your tires are for load rating so that will make a difference for you.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It’s not the truck it’s something with your mods. I leveled my 2020 3500 SLT long bed with Cognito arms, keys and Fox Shocks and installed 295’s on 20x10’s and it rides almost like a half ton on the highway. Super smooth and straight. I left the front a 1/2 lower than the rear so it rides level with stuff in the bed. Good luck figuring it out. Maybe throw the stock wheel and tires back on it and see what happens.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
A leveling kit will affect the ride especially if you go over about 1 1/2”-2” lift.
I suffered with the ride for about 5 years, then did a Cognito NTB 4” lift front only, the rear was already about 4 1/2” higher than the front.
PSI in the tires will also affect the ride.
I run 50 rears - 60 fronts when empty, loaded towing 75-80 rears - 65 fronts, no matter what size tire I was running. 265’s, 285’s now 295 55R20.

I know you might not be able to go down to 50 rears without a low tire warning, so go as low as you can.
I don’t know if GM is still having TPMS on the newer HD trucks.

·
Finally! Wheels on!
11,081 Posts
This has been an age old dilemma on all body styles. In addition to the tire and shock recommendations, any time the truck is lifted without dropping the lower control arm mounting points, the increased angle of the lower control arm contributes to the harsher ride. Without getting too deep into geometry the effective length of the lower a arm is shorter and some of the force generated transmits (is vectored) into the lower mounting points because of that angle.

If you don’t want to drop the lower a arm mounting points to return the angle to stock, then you are left with minimizing that degradation with better shocks, tire pressure etc.

Hope you get it to where you can live with it. It’s a beautiful truck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
@Too many hobbies ,

Enough with your personal attacks of people. One week vacation instituted.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
3,587 Posts
I think the truck looks awesome. I personally wouldn't ever have a truck leveled like that though. After having a handful of classic body trucks set up a variety of different ways, either stock height or a slightly too tall lift turned down to sit where you want it will deliver the best ride from what I have found. However, I don't have any experience with newer than a 15/16 truck.
I do think the ride you are not liking is caused by the level/lift kit. I think the way you will get the ride you want back is to either lower the front back down, or buy a lift that drops the front end components down and then set the front end where you want it to sit. Not the ideal way you want to do it, especially since you haven't had to do that in the past- but they have obviously changed something in the geometry or design that changed the ride after the work was done

·
Registered
2022 1500 CCSB Sierra AT4 3.0L I6 Duramax
303 Posts
Chalk the tires and see how much air you actually need in them. My 2500 had a “hard as stone” ride until I lowered all the tires down. That made a big difference.
Sulastic shackles is another option to soften up the rear.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Well, sounds like your modifications are the problem. Can't blame GMC because you've messed up a perfectly good truck with the modifications. What is the purpose of making those mods anyway. Compensating for something ?.
Comments like this are so ignorant and immature. Because one likes the look of a leveled/lifted truck is simply their personal preference. We’re all adults here - act like it.

Reactions: Hrogi and Bozdx

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
I've already banned one guy in this thread.
Keep personal attacks out of your responses. Yes, we can disagree on stuff, and debate is healthy. Questioning someone's manhood is childish.
Carry on otherwise.

·
Registered
2021 3500HD GMC Denali
369 Posts
OP, it sounds like your tires need to be road forced balanced. You may have a bad rim, I had that issue with a new Ram right from the factory, and another time I had that issue after getting new tires. Had them balanced three times, and a road force balance fixed my issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
Just a quick note here fellas, the OP hasn't logged on since 8/3.

·
Registered
2022 GMC Black Diamond 3500HD Banks Derringer
2 Posts
I had a 2017 2500 with larger wheels and always seemed to be chasing a rough ride and balancing problems.
I have a 2022 3500 now with stock and it rides way better. I still think the fuel rims didn't run true

·
Registered
2023 Silverado 3500HD Drw
2,650 Posts
I’d like to see a photo of the contact points of his suspension

Stock junk shocks and the level kit the dealership installed left just enough room under the upper control arm I could barely fit one business card under. So maybe a inch or two of total drop before suspension was maxed out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 58 of 58 Posts