Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Not loving my 22 Denali 3500

8K views 57 replies 36 participants last post by  bigdave_185 
#1 ·
I have owned many HD 3/4 tons and 1 ton F350 in the past.
I don't remember hating them as much as I hate driving this 22 Denali 3500.
I am about 10 months into owning the truck
Had it leveled, new upper control arms, Fuel wheels, Nitto Ridge Grappler 35 x 11.50 - 20
Dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow for an oil change and tire rotation.
This truck is stiff and bouncy, feels like the tires are out of round or out of balance.
It is not a pleasure to drive. Every truck I have owned has been leveled with custom wheels and tires.
I am hoping this is just a tire issue. I drove my 2015 2500 Denali for 7 years and didn't really have any complaints.
Is there any hope? looking for insight before I become irrational and just trade it in.
11,000 miles
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
Have your tires road forced balanced. Ask them for the numbers. Everything i've read said they should come in under 20. I had a set of BFGs that Discount Tire sold me that RF'd 25-40.
Them suckers would shake the pickup around 45-60 mph, not bad, but enough that you KNOW something is not right. Ended up switching to Nitto A/Ts.

Are the newer Dmax's torsion bars still? Cranking them up is a good way to crank down the ride quality.

#3 ·
What was said above. Leveling a truck by cranking keys is never a good idea for ride quality. Are the shocks extended properly or custom length ones installed? That can make a huge difference also.

#8 ·
The last six 3/4 and 1 ton trucks i have owned have all been lifted or leveled with custom wheels and tires.
I have the new keys and upper control arms that compensate for being leveled.
Have your tires road forced balanced. Ask them for the numbers. Everything i've read said they should come in under 20. I had a set of BFGs that Discount Tire sold me that RF'd 25-40.
Them suckers would shake the pickup around 45-60 mph, not bad, but enough that you KNOW something is not right. Ended up switching to Nitto A/Ts.

Are the newer Dmax's torsion bars still? Cranking them up is a good way to crank down the ride quality.
Good information on the road force balancing.

#4 ·
Did you have the same issues prior to the installation of the aftermarket wheels, tires and lift kit?

#10 ·
So for the last 11k miles it drove like you describe? Was it like that when you bought it new before you modified it?

Reactions: blythkd1
#12 · (Edited)
Sent from my iPhone using
For the most part, we have the same set up, however, my 22-3500 DRW ride quality is great, comparing it to my 2020 Denali 2500.

I’m running 22” American force wheels with 35” Toyo’s 12.50. Cognito 3” leveling kit with king shocks.

Upgraded straight from the dealer.
The initial balancing was done using beads, I had vibration issues on and off. I changed to the traditional balancing weights up front and no more issues.

#13 ·
After having the balance checked out, what psi are you running in your tires? What load range are they?

Are you still using the stock shocks? If so, I'd get rid of them for one that is intended for lifted/leveled trucks.

Another thing to try: put a couple hundred pounds in the bed and drive like that. See if it feels different.

#14 ·
2nd the motion for shocks. Also, just because you have new keys, you're still using the same torsion bars, and all keys do is allow you to clock the bars at a different angle for more lift. Any time you crank the torsion bars, their rate will change, that's its intended job. This translates to a higher spring rate, as torsion bars are not linear but progressive.
Similar thing for the rear springs, you have a 3500, they come with a heavy duty spring pack made for carrying heavier loads, such as a 5th wheel or goose neck trailer. Expect a bit more stiffness from the rear.
And shocks! You cannot run stock shocks, especially the crappy Ranchos that come with these trucks, and expect a comfortable ride after what you've done.You have done only a few key parts to the suspension, yet expect a great ride, its not gonna happen until you do ALL of the work to the suspension. Lots of threads on shocks here, both covering stock as well as lifted trucks. I would look at ONLY adjustable shocks at this point, as you'll be able to dial in the ride you are expecting from your vehicle. NOrmally I'd say Rancho9000 adjustables, but with the lift and whatever you plan on towing, Kings would probably be a better choice.
Finally, wheels/tires. What load range are those tires? What is your pressure set at? I'd suggest a slightly lower pressure to make up for the stock shocks, 65psi for E tires, try that and see how it feels on the road. Having E tires at a full 80psi will give you a harsher ride, that's just what happens.

#17 ·
Sharp truck. leveled does change things and make it a bit touchier in my opinion to tire balancing. That may solve your issue right there. I tried beads for the first time on my nitto ridge graps same size as yours on a leveled 10 and vibrations come and go. Next set will be force balanced with weights. 35's just have a ton of mass to compensate so any little un-balance seems to be picked up in the seat easier in the truck. I will say this, these ridge grapplers are the hardest tire i've ever felt on the bumps. Stiff. You could try rotating tires see if something moves or feels different.

#19 ·
Agree with Stroked: Sharp truck.

If i may give you my two cents... rotating the tires is a TEST, not a solution, for something being awry with the tires. If the test fails (read: rotating mitigates the issue) then the tires need to be replaced.
Otherwise 1) you'll never be able to rotate your tires properly or 2) you'll get to experience the symptoms for [insert tire rotation mileage here] miles every (4*[insert tire rotation mileage here]) miles

#21 ·
And just an fyi, playing with those keys will throw the alignment off. Lowering it will add camber and toe if you had an alignment done after the initial lift. If you didn't get an alignment after leveling it when you bought the truck, that's also playing into your bad ride, as raising the height with the keys will give you negative camber and toe.

#23 ·
Some of us will turn the front down just a bit to leave some rake in the truck with the leveling kit, so that way it sits closer to level when hooked up to a trailer. Not everyone does that, but you'll see it more often with folks who use a lifted or leveled truck to still pull trailers with some weight to them.

#24 ·
I really hope it can be fixed.

but the tires can really mess it all up.

also getting the right alignment can also help. Need a shop that understands what they are doing. Just keep within Chevy spec is not enough.

I got lucky. I am having Rancho first give my truck the level kit they are releasing for 2022. But they also improved the alignment.

next week I get there 3” lift. Cannot wait to see how that works out.

But the road force balancing is a real game changer when dealing with tricky wheel and heavy tires.

#29 ·
I'm running Fuel 20 inch on my Dually with BF Goodrich XO, and I can sleep with my hands off the wheel if I wanted no issues, it's not the equipment used to balance etc. it's the knowledge of using it!

#31 ·
Something in the air today?

@Too many hobbies , we don't conduct ourselves like this on this forum.

Consider yourself warned, and I'll be deleting your offending posts.

#33 ·
I heard & read horror stories re: "leveling" with Torsion Keys. I leveled my 2019 3500 single rear with a ReadyLift Kit. After driving it (and despite what the custom 4x4 shop told me), it rode like crap & I realized I needed better shocks. I had Fox Performance Shocks installed and it immediately rode like a dream. I know the last thing you want to do is spend more money, but shocks are relatively inexpensive. If it were my truck, I wouldn't give-up until I replaced the shocks.

#35 ·
Chief Boats in the house!

Welcome Aboard Shipmate!

Reactions: sambor
#34 ·
Increase spring rates, to increase rise height = decreased ride quality. Huge difference in chassis packages between a K2 and T1 HD GM truck. Add in 20” wheels and yup, it’s not going to ride great. Turn the bars down, run good shocks, set tire pressures for best ride quality and wear, then that’s it.

#36 ·
I have a 20 High Country 2500. I have Nitto Terra Grapplers and they are the reason my truck vibrates like crazy. I have leveling kit as you do. The tire shop replaced the tires because they couldn't get them balanced properly. The second set is balanced better, but still vibrates. The ride actually smoothed out some when I changed out the shocks and I installed Bilsteins. Its manageable but still not correct. BTW, yes I drove it with everything stock before the lift and after with no issues until the new Nittos were installed.

#37 ·
If all else fails, tire truing may be your friend.

Don't ask me how I know........

#38 ·
And all the previous responses only prove my previous message. It's ok to disagree. The membership here did it respectfully. Carry on men...

To @SixtiesMuscleCars , we understand you're frustrated, but head the advice above and you'll get that truck to a much happier place in terms of ride quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.