Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized my 2011 LML is no longer going into regeneration cycle. Truck is running very well, plenty of DEF fluid in tank. Got a new Edge monitor, shows no codes, no engine light on either. Monitor says DEF is off. Thought about trying a manual regeneration with the monitor. But don't know if that is the smart thing to do. What do you think's going on? What should I do?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If it was not regening, you'd get a message that said in essence: Keep driving Do you do a lot of highway driving? The LMLs regen much differently vs the previous LMMs. I drive a LMM now and previously had a LML and a LMM before that. My LML regened much more frequently vs my LMMs. Something like every 150-250 miles, where as my LMMs regen every 350-400 miles. Also the regen period was shorter on the LML, where as my LMMs regened for about 30 min or 30 miles of driving 50+ MPH steady. Only way I knew it was in regen was a slight sound difference on the exhaust when you got on the accelerator, or the high idle RPMs when coming to a stop. (LMM and LML do that) Lately I've done a ton of highway driving and my regens are taking place during that time and so sometimes I don't catch a regen happening if it's no stop and go driving. I do wish GM would put a little light/notification to let you know when regen was in process, or be able to start a driving regen on my own if I know I'm going to be doing highway driving, to allow it a good full regen vs having it happen during a day of stop and go driving. I've got 193,000 miles on my current LMM and still on the original DPF as far as I know and still regening well. I'll have the DPF cut off and sent to be baked/acid cleaned if the intervals go below 250 miles. I have to have all emissions equipment working here due to emissions testing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not regenerating

Thanks for your insight.I was getting the message on my dash when the truck was regenerating. would tell me to keep driving for so and so distance. havnt seen that message in 3-4 months, several thousand miles?

·
Registered
128 Posts
My understanding is the 'keep driving' message should only come up if the truck has tried to regen a few times but couldn't complete the process for some reason (e.g. short trips). The message is kinda like a last chance situation before the truck goes into limp mode so if the message comes up pay attention to it. The normal regen process should be transparent to the driver except for some subtle indications like rpms being a little higher and exhaust temps being a lot higher.

If your new Edge monitor is a CTS2 you can set it up to monitor some parameters that will show when regen starts, stops, the soot loading on the DPF, miles since last regen, EGT's, and others.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Set your Edge CTS to look at the Soot Grams, mine would always start a regen around 43 grams of soot. Also try a regen from the CTS, if it can't start one it will tell you that. The only time my LML did not start a regen when it should the 9 injector was bad and I had to have it replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.