Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 16’ about 2 years ago and have waited while trying to educate myself prior to shelling out thousands and honestly I am glad that I did. I have plotted and schemed every way imaginable to stealth delete and get the performance/longevity/reliability but in the end I never really had the balls or knowledge to pull the trigger to risk the tens of thousands I have invested into this Vehicle. It’s my DD, Tow Pig and main family ride. Ultimately the path I had in my mind is not worth the trouble of the emissions rigmarole, anxiety of the random traffic stop turned impound or heavy unexpected fines or whatever else worst case scenario. So for now I will grab my straw and suck it up.

The question is, and probably for most; Now what?

I am not a drag racer and I don’t beat my rides. I pay too much money to trash my sh!t and waste gas money with endless pulls from stop signs. In the end I am seeking MPG’s, less DEF and less regens!

For those who are choosing to comply and live within a reasonable budget where do we begin?

Leave it at Intake & EZ-Lynk?
Compound kit? ( Out of the gate already out building my Allison? An additional 5-6k Suncoast build? - Inherently doubling the bill )

Attachments

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'd be very, very surprised if you could fit a twin kit under the hood with all of the emissions b.s. still in place.

I'm sure someone who knows better will correct me, if it can be done.

I'll admit, intact tuning is very enticing. I am just hesitant to try it until someone has ran it reliably for thousands of miles

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd be very, very surprised if you could fit a twin kit under the hood with all of the emissions b.s. still in place.

I'm sure someone who knows better will correct me, if it can be done.

I'll admit, intact tuning is very enticing. I am just hesitant to try it until someone has ran it reliably for thousands of miles
WCFAB has a bolt on twin kit if I am not mistaken.

DMaxTuner also offers one in which they paired with WCFab as well.

From the hints that Kory is throwing down in his social media responses is something great is in the works and about to drop ( unknown timeline ) in a collaboration between them, Banks & ATS. I hope it isn’t just for L5P and up and they don’t leave the rest of us behind. I’m not rebuying a truck! Haha!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Oh really? I wasn't aware of twin kits available for emissions intact trucks. That's pretty damn cool. They must really leave no elbow room in the engine bay lol.

Wehrli and duramax tuner do some cool stuff together. I know they aren't the favorite of a lot of guys on here, but they always treated me right. Also helps that both shops are only about an hour away from me.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Looks like 37s? Throw some 4.56s in for a start imo.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
If you're looking to stay emissions compliant and get the most out of your vehicle your best bet is to get with duramax tuner and see what they can do. I know they put a compound kit on a duramax with emmisions in place with Wehrli as stated previously. They seem to be the only ones that are pushing the envelope on higher HP applications while staying compliant. At the end of the day you are still going to be wasting fuel and not getting the best MPG you can get cause you're still having to deal with regens.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like 37s? Throw some 4.56s in for a start imo.
Yes, they're 37's. I will look into a re-gearing, thank you!

If you're looking to stay emissions compliant and get the most out of your vehicle your best bet is to get with duramax tuner and see what they can do. I know they put a compound kit on a duramax with emmisions in place with Wehrli as stated previously. They seem to be the only ones that are pushing the envelope on higher HP applications while staying compliant. At the end of the day you are still going to be wasting fuel and not getting the best MPG you can get cause you're still having to deal with regens.
I will shoot out an email to DT and see what is possible, thanks!

It sounds so simple to just want overall efficiency achieved across all levels while keeping compliant. If higher HP is an effect of what is done it just goes in the bonus pile but it's not the main goal of the tuning/modifications. 'dunno;

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
I think you would be happy with emission compliant tuning, probably from Duramaxtuner, and gears. Transmission tuning and a good torque converter would be next.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
All tuners that did or do delete tunes still offer very good emissions compliant tuning. Theres very little difference in it. Dt has just been doing only emissions compliant longer since motorops is basically a sister company out of the country that does their delete tunes. They were ahead of the game in that aspect. When all this first started if you called dt for delete tunes they just sold you motorops tuning instead of redirecting you to them.

Reactions: Dales Super Store

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I never wanted to go the compound route but the more that I look over it the more "sold" I am becoming. Improved torque across all RPM, great for towing heavy loads for duration, increased airflow and lower EGTS ( Living in Arizona where it gets extreme temperatures I would like to increase the cooling ability as it is ).

I am not familiar with Turbos so its time to do some reading. I understand this will be a fixed vein application and I don't need it to be a monster. What would anyone recommend? S475 would be good enough?

Compound kit w/S475, EZ-Lynk w/ PPEI emissions tuning & TCM tuning/LSP switch, (As for Torque converter, if I don't hammer it would be it absolutely necessary?), Airdog 165 pump, CST edge monitor, 4.56 gears, Banks cat-back 5" Monster Exhaust, 3" downpipe. Anything else?

( My wife might actually shit when this bill hits )

·
Vendor
10,987 Posts
So for a daily driver like yours, going with emission compliant tuning is going to workout fine. With PPEI emission compliant tuning, you will see a descent jump in hp and torque (within 10% of what their off-road tunes were doing), less regens and less def usage. Combine that with a bump in fuel economy and it is a win, win. We are in the process of setting up a time to get my new Denalli over there to PPEI to test some emission complaint tunes on a 2020 and see what we can truly get out of it. As far as other aftermarket bolt-ons, the market has been saturated with parts that more than likely require a delete of some sort to make it fit under the hood. The enforcement of the Clean Air Act is going for force manufacturers to come up with parts that will work with emissions. I would stick to tuning and a cold air intake for now and see where things go.

As far as PPEI's big announcement. Kory is a preeminent tuner in this industry what he is doing is the future of tuning.

If I can be of assistance with pricing on anything mentioned today, please don't hesitate to ask.

Take care,

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
A regular box cast s475/96/1.32 would be fine for your application. Could tighten up the exhaust housing to 1.15 and it would spool a little faster but you loose some top end. I wouldnt stick a converter in a stock transmission because if you start shedding clutch material and or break something else it will circulate through the converter and trash it. Then you're doing it twice. The lmls transmissions are pretty stout you should be fine but with the lift, tires, gearing, you definitely are putting more stress on it. I would also look into the upgraded vvt turbos from mark at Danville as well instead of compounds if you're bent on adding more power with emissions. Compounds heat up the oil quite a bit and with you living in Arizona and towing in those temperatures and grades you're going to need some serious oil cooling, much more than stock can handle. Stay away from the stealth turbos from dt. I know they sound like a good option with emissions present but they fail quite frequently. Personally I haven't seen one make it past 5k miles. If you want reliability, leave it stock with a lift pump.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
With PPEI emission compliant tuning, you will see a descent jump in hp and torque
My problem has always been the reliability of the emissions junk but I don't mind the way the truck rolls with the stuff intact. Smooth, no stink, and especially the quiet.
Any chance someone will come out with a huge aftermarket DPF the size of a hot water tank?....give some time between regens and still allow big power even with a soot load. >:)

·
Vendor
10,987 Posts
My problem has always been the reliability of the emissions junk but I don't mind the way the truck rolls with the stuff intact. Smooth, no stink, and especially the quiet.
Any chance someone will come out with a huge aftermarket DPF the size of a hot water tank?....give some time between regens and still allow big power even with a soot load. >:)
I know Bullydog came out with an aftermarket one a few years ago but it never took off for them. With the bigger EPA push now I think we will start seeing mfg working on aftermarket DPFs but it won't be right away.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I'd do a Danville drop in then down the road if you want some more throw a S400 into the mix. That's be a sweet set up on an emissions truck and quiet the sleeper I'd say.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Big day for me today. I finally committed to a build path and pulled the trigger on a parts list. I have put a seriously unrealistic ( and almost embarrassing ) amount of time seeking answers and general knowledge while scrubbing forums and YouTube to put this simple list together.

EZ Lynk - PPEI w/ Unlimited support & TCU ( will monitor w/ Ipad Mini in cab and occasionally phone. Didn't see the need for a CTS2 )
LSP switch
S&B CAI
FASS 95
Beans Sump ( 2 port )

I appreciate everyone's input and time prior to this! My intentions are to see how these series of upgrades handles itself and if I find that it is inadequate for my purposes maybe in a couple years I will go the compound route and Trans upgrades.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Big day for me today. I finally committed to a build path and pulled the trigger on a parts list. I have put a seriously unrealistic ( and almost embarrassing ) amount of time seeking answers and general knowledge while scrubbing forums and YouTube to put this simple list together.

EZ Lynk - PPEI w/ Unlimited support & TCU ( will monitor w/ Ipad Mini in cab and occasionally phone. Didn't see the need for a CTS2 )
LSP switch
S&B CAI
FASS 95
Beans Sump ( 2 port )

I appreciate everyone's input and time prior to this! My intentions are to see how these series of upgrades handles itself and if I find that it is inadequate for my purposes maybe in a couple years I will go the compound route and Trans upgrades.
You can never spend too much time researching & seeking answers when it comes to creating a solid plan that'll work for you. I feel like i see a thread about "how to delete" or something along those lines everyday that can easily be answered by just taking the time to do some research. The list seems like a good starting point. Do you plan to mount the Ipad Mini in the console or just somewhere else in the truck? I used my phone for the Ez Lynk for a little and got tired of it and bought the Edge CTS2, much more convenient. I've also seen where you can get the EZ Lynk gauges to show up on the center screen in the truck with some type of adapter piece installed behind the screen. Saw it on youtube from a guy named Dmaxryno

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can never spend too much time researching & seeking answers when it comes to creating a solid plan that'll work for you. I feel like i see a thread about "how to delete" or something along those lines everyday that can easily be answered by just taking the time to do some research. The list seems like a good starting point. Do you plan to mount the Ipad Mini in the console or just somewhere else in the truck? I used my phone for the Ez Lynk for a little and got tired of it and bought the Edge CTS2, much more convenient. I've also seen where you can get the EZ Lynk gauges to show up on the center screen in the truck with some type of adapter piece installed behind the screen. Saw it on youtube from a guy named Dmaxryno

I got to the point where I was so critical of the minor details while looking for answers it almost gave me a headache. For me that is exactly what this list is, a well rounded "stage 1" for a DD.

I kicked around the CTS2 and I figure I can always add it as its relatively inexpensive. With EZ-Lynks capability to connect to devices I figured I would dust off an old Ipad laying around that we don't really use. My thoughts are that everyday driving I am not necessarily too concerned with how closely I will monitor the truck. I will absolutely geek out the first couple of weeks and stare at it because its a new toy... But mainly I will monitor on abnormal conditions or towing loads. I intended on just setting it in the center console in those little holders that serve no purpose. When I get tired of looking at it I will probably Opt for the CTS2.

If I can figure out how DmaxRyno configured it into the dash monitor I will absolutely go that route. Thanks for the recommendation!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I got to the point where I was so critical of the minor details while looking for answers it almost gave me a headache. For me that is exactly what this list is, a well rounded "stage 1" for a DD.

I kicked around the CTS2 and I figure I can always add it as its relatively inexpensive. With EZ-Lynks capability to connect to devices I figured I would dust off an old Ipad laying around that we don't really use. My thoughts are that everyday driving I am not necessarily too concerned with how closely I will monitor the truck. I will absolutely geek out the first couple of weeks and stare at it because its a new toy... But mainly I will monitor on abnormal conditions or towing loads. I intended on just setting it in the center console in those little holders that serve no purpose. When I get tired of looking at it I will probably Opt for the CTS2.

If I can figure out how DmaxRyno configured it into the dash monitor I will absolutely go that route. Thanks for the recommendation!
Took me a minute to find but heres the link to it

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After watching the video I've searched for the Android head unit but came up with nothing. I was hoping it would be an inexpensive ( 2-300 or under ) Connector/Jumper harness that spliced into the signal and allowed you to Wifi into the head unit but purchasing a new screen/unit for $900 is a little steep! at that point its almost reasonable to spring the extra couple hundred for the Alpine factory looking unit with more capability.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.